Playername reservation - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: bite my shiny metal ass.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-21, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Playername reservation

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
No. Outfits and characters must stay on the server where they were created and earned their points/rep. There is no reason to be able to transfer characters between servers at free will.
Why not?

Old 2012-04-21, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Name reservations is a bad idea, as there where plenty of names I wish I could have used but where already reserved by someone else who's never played before.

Besides, its not the end of the world if someone else takes an your name, just get a new one.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-21, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
MgFalcon
Captain

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
Name reservations is a bad idea, as there where plenty of names I wish I could have used but where already reserved by someone else who's never played before.

Besides, its not the end of the world if someone else takes an your name, just get a new one.
For many people and Outfits it would be the end of the world (in reality their playable server choice), these names are our identities and we have the right to keep our identities. As I have previously posted the original concept would enable veterans to reserve their names; meaning that someone who's never played before will not have this option to reserve a name.
Old 2012-04-21, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
For many people and Outfits it would be the end of the world (in reality their playable server choice), these names are our identities and we have the right to keep our identities. As I have previously posted the original concept would enable veterans to reserve their names; meaning that someone who's never played before will not have this option to reserve a name.
I doubt SOE has the capability of distinguishing someone who actively played for a long time and to someone who has only played for a day. Heck I got a BR 1 that has a 8 year vet merit on it right now, as do many of us.

Then not to mention as someone else who posted above. Mentioned about the server merges; from what I could understand really screwed things up with character ID's. Since they where similar on each servers rather than a global unique ID**.

**I question that statement, since accounts are tied a list of characters that must be recognized uniquely. Else fall victim to duping of accounts/characters.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
No. Outfits and characters must stay on the server where they were created and earned their points/rep. There is no reason to be able to transfer characters between servers at free will.
Where they were created and earned their points? This is just data on a cloud now. All accomplishments, names, points, whatever should be transferable to any server.

Imagine a laggy west coast server that won't let you login 'cuz it's already at capacity. Let that character login somewhere else. The only difference would be the player base. If the entire outfit contacts each other and says they will play on the east coast today, then all your buddies are there too.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Raka Maru
Major

I doubt SOE has the capability of distinguishing someone who actively played for a long time and to someone who has only played for a day. Heck I got a BR 1 that has a 8 year vet merit on it right now, as do many of us.

Then not to mention as someone else who posted above. Mentioned about the server merges; from what I could understand really screwed things up with character ID's. Since they where similar on each servers rather than a global unique ID**.

**I question that statement, since accounts are tied a list of characters that must be recognized uniquely. Else fall victim to duping of accounts/characters.
Obviously, they didn't use GUIDs back when they built this, thus the trailing E or W in the names after the merge.

Technology has evolved, names don't NEED to be unique now, but they SHOULD be constrained to have them unique IMHO.

Saving character info on a cloud doesn't mean it has to stay on the server they are "playing" on.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
^^^

I take serious issue, when people use my name. I've been using this name since the late 90's.

To anyone who is against the idea... Just imagine someone pops up in your local area with the same name you have. Suddenly everybody but your closest of friends think this person is you. So not only, do you actually lose your identity, but now your reputation may be getting tarnished, as their actions will reflect on you.

If you are one of those people, who just get a new name every time you have to register somewhere, then this discussion is not even for you.

No, saving names is not anywhere near as simple as a copy and paste.

Yes, SOE does have the ability. This has already been proven with the server merges. Where the older character had name priority.

Is it worth it though? I'm saying yes.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Stardouser
Colonel

When I created the thread, I wasn't even thinking about vets, I was thinking of people who make characters in the beta and of course, to an extent some people are going to get in early randomly. And so, to amend the idea to account for the vets: vets should get name choice priority in both beta and release, but all beta names should get wiped. Closed beta anyway, open beta might actually be a sort of soft release, so they should perhaps not be wiped.

So basically: vets get naming priority, but non-vets who might get into the closed beta will not be able to lock in a character name.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Pollo Jack
Corporal

Vets above BR 6 should get reservations, no one else. If you join the beta you get to familiarize yourself with the weapons and then your character is wiped, just like the old beta.

Reservations expire after a month.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I doubt SOE has the capability of distinguishing someone who actively played for a long time and to someone who has only played for a day.
Yes they do, its even on the Character profile pages.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Why not? just tie current names with current accounts, use old master account to create a PS2 character and have it go through a script of allow and if's to allow character creation with said player name. I'm sure they could create a script right now to conserve names via account and just import a name into the PS2 system. THat might be even easier than a script of variables.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
hitparader
Private

Playername reservation would definitely sweeten the deal for me. It would be great to enter the new game without having to change my identity not only for game purposes, but for outfit purposes as well. I really hope they can figure this one out
Old 2012-05-01, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The GDC demo showed a character selection screen. That could change. I would be for a universal ID, where your name would be the same now matter what empire you played. Multiple characters are not necessary since you will be working on progress towards all roles on your avatar. However, they could have a character per empire, if they decide to allow multiple empires per account per server.

As for name reservations, it's a lot more complicated than just taking the data from PS1 and giving you those names. PS1 went through server merges and the Werner characters would be reserved for the European service, not the North American server. Then you have the issue of how many servers there will be. Will it be one server for NA? NA West and NA East? Or multiple Western and Eastern NA servers? Same for the Euro service.
yea go for universal ID, white it doesn't have the same effect if the game were B2P or P2P, atleast it will keep the names with stupid accsents and XxX and IlII at bay.

also you should be able to only reserve one name that you hold on PS1 on your account for PS2, there's no reason somebody should be holding like 20 names they wont use.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-01, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

You are not a unique flower!
Old 2012-06-05, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
GoldDragon
Corporal

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We are still looking into this but will absolutely announce any initiative regarding name reservation. It has certainly come up a few times.
I just felt this was worth revisiting. Any news on this?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion