Buggies; what role should they fill? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where dreams come to die
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-07, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Buggies; what role should they fill?

The devs have said that the buggies are unlikely to make it into the game at launch, but will be in afterwards.

But my question is what role will they play?

Tanks being able to equip a variety of weaponry will make them more versatile and more able to fill roles that were filled by buggies in the original (eg the Skyguard being the only mobile ground vehicle based AA, and the Thresher filling in for the Magriders lack of effective AI).

The empire specific aircraft also fill the role of rapid assault vehicle, especially with them being able to adjust their weaponry as well.

Now what are buggies and the like used for in real life? Transport of troops and equipment behind the battle lines.

Perhaps therefore buggies should be able to carry more personnel than tanks, and certainly travel faster. They could also be customisable to allow them to serve a variety of support roles; spawn points once set up, equipment terminals for resupply, etc.

What are your thoughts on buggies?
Old 2012-01-07, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
acosmo
Sergeant Major

Re: Buggies; what role should they fill?

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
highly maneuverable fast moving weapons platforms. like horse drawn cannons in the mexican american war
Old 2012-01-07, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
The devs have said that the buggies are unlikely to make it into the game at launch, but will be in afterwards.

But my question is what role will they play?

Tanks being able to equip a variety of weaponry will make them more versatile and more able to fill roles that were filled by buggies in the original (eg the Skyguard being the only mobile ground vehicle based AA, and the Thresher filling in for the Magriders lack of effective AI).

The empire specific aircraft also fill the role of rapid assault vehicle, especially with them being able to adjust their weaponry as well.

Now what are buggies and the like used for in real life? Transport of troops and equipment behind the battle lines.

Perhaps therefore buggies should be able to carry more personnel than tanks, and certainly travel faster. They could also be customisable to allow them to serve a variety of support roles; spawn points once set up, equipment terminals for resupply, etc.

I don't think air has the monopoly on quick assault. We know there'll be air-unfriendly areas, as well as times when there's simply too much AA around for air to get close, but I like the idea of expanding buggies' role to equipment transport/possibly a MAX transport (and I do mean a MAX).

Edit: Or maybe I don't. We still don't know enough about them to say.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-01-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2012-01-07, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aractain
Major

Light infantry transport (3-4 positions), big gun options (heavy AA, AT and AI weapons) for the gunner with a smaller (or optional) gun for the driver.

Obiovusly fast movement - lots of ability to hill climb and move over rough terrain.

Definately like the idea of support customisation as well as using them as 'ground fast response' (I want them to be that fast pls).
Old 2012-01-07, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jimmuc
Corporal

imo buggies should be versatile. like you said in your post Dvidd, i think they should also be able to equip AV, AI, and AA weapons. fast land response/light assault is what i've always seen them as.
Old 2012-01-07, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shogun
Contributor
General

what about the mainrole they had in ps1?

being a fast vehicle a rexo could drive.

we don´t know if there will still be the driver-penaltys for rexo wearing soldiers. if they still exist, this aspect still has some value

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-01-07, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I imagine they'll be the softer, faster variant of the tanks. They, in their own way, will pack a punch that can match a tank, but getting hit isn't an option, where as a tank is built to take a blow and keep plowing forward. It would be a play style choice.

Last edited by EASyEightyEight; 2012-01-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-01-07, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Knocky
Major

Buggies are hunters.....
Old 2012-01-07, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Fast scouts hunting for the nearest enemy tank group so they can call in air support to the right areas and also to prevent sneak attacks. In strategy information is power.
Old 2012-01-07, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
LongBow
Sergeant

buggy's will always rock with speed, and honestly I think their meta game role would come out as AA or AT hunters
...they may lack the armour but they will be fast and their speed will render traditional AT and AA weapons less than effective. (assuming the driver is capable enough!)
Old 2012-01-07, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Harassment.
Old 2012-01-07, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Buggies are hunters.....
This.

While you use tanks to break into the enemy lines or defend your stuff, you use buggys to hunt down lone tanks and runners.

Buggys really should have AV, AI and AA as options. They should be fast, but only lightly armoured.
And a single gun turret, controlled by the gunner. The driver could have a straight forward gun, if any.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vash02
Major

ha, if the buggies are going to be anything like the ones in PS1, driving will be a full time job.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
texico
Master Sergeant

Vestality and also very effective on all kinds of terrain (or perhaps have modding options for this). We don't know how terrain will affect vehicles, but for examples buggies can have tyre mods for driving on ice, lots of suspension for rocky terrain and maybe even options for motorboat-esque floating, like the thresher.

The emphasis will be on light armour, maneuverability, versatility, light transport perhaps. They'll definitely have their place.
Old 2012-01-07, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I remember having lots of discussions back in the day on the SOE boards about what the Buggy's role was in PS1. I suspect it'll be very similar in PS2 to what it was in PS1, and it's best viewed when compared to the other vehicles..

MBT's - These are the spearhead of your assault. They are designed to punch holes in enemy defenses, to push the enemy back and move your empire's front lines forward, allowing support troops and vehicles to move up and hold the territory the MBT's just capped. They are also used to bear the brunt of any massed enemy assaults and are used to stop their advance, esp around bottlenecks like bridges and ravines.

Buggies - I think of Buggies as the Harbingers of Chaos. Their job is to get in amongst enemy forces where they're not yet fully entrenched, stir up the bee's nest, and then get out. They use their superior speed to probe enemy lines to look for weaknesses in the front or along the flanks. If they can get behind the lines to attack enemy support vehicles or vehicles getting repaired, all the better. Otherwise they can just weave in and out amongst enemy forces, killing smaller units and troops and harassing and distracting enemy MBT's.

Buggies are also good at using their superior speed to get into position for flanking attacks on enemy MBT formations, trying to disrupt their forward momentum and again causing chaos so their own Empire's MBT's can move in and mop up. And in PS2 I hope they'll be better than MBT's for AI duties. MBT's IMO should focus more on AV.

Lightnings - They are fast and light much like Buggies, but the driver is also the gunner so they're not as effective weaving in and out of enemy forces since it's harder to concentrate on driving and gunning at the same time. They're best suited for fire support just behind the forward-most point of contact with the enemy and precision striking starting from a place a relative security where they can scan the battlefield for exposed/injured opponents. So fighting right behind MBT's where they can use their speed to zoom in quickly where needed and then zoom back out for repairs, or creeping up on the enemy's flanks to pick off strays, intercept fleeing injured vehicles, etc. They are the U-Boats of PS.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-01-08 at 07:32 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion