Update from T-Ray: "There is no Leader-class" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We can, we have, we will.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-08, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Update from T-Ray: "There is no Leader-class"

I just thanked T-Ray for posting what I believed to be the first image of the "Leader" class, and he replied that there is no such thing. This is a surprise to me, as, for months now, I have been under the impression that the Leader was a class in this game (I remember Higby saying something like "The Leader has its own skill tree, full of things like squad-spawning and orbital strikes"). Did anyone else remember reading things like that? Well, in some ways, this is good, because that means that any of us can have Leader-abilities that fit compatibly with whatever our class-choices are.

Did anyone besides me think that "Leader" was a specific class?

Thanks for the update, T-Ray!

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-08, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Update from T-Ray: "There is no Leader-class"

No the leader is a skill tree...its not tied to any class, that would be silly.

the whole thing is rather confusing though. but the leader, vehciles and aircraft skill trees are not tied to any specific 6 classes as i understand.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-08, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Yes, that makes sense. Well, it's good news to me! I'd love to add some of those Leader-skills to my demolitions-Engineer. Along with a generous splash of Scythe-pilot unlocks.

Sweet!

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-08, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Infektion
Sergeant Major

No dude... I was never under the impression of a leader class. That would be way too restrictive, more than it already has become. It's a Skill tree, so any class could have leader bonuses, I'm still against the classes thing, I hate how all modern FPS and all latest games, actually, force you to play a specific role... I just find it annoying, but then again, I grew up playing Asherons call, counter strike, UT... TRIBES. I really miss havin complete control over my character.

Last edited by Infektion; 2012-01-08 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2012-01-08, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
No dude... I was never under the impression of a leader class. That would be way too restrictive, more than it already has become. It's a Skill tree, so any class could have leader bonuses, I'm still against the classes thing, I hate how all modern FPS and all latest games, actually, force you to play a specific role... I just find it annoying, but then again, I grew up playing Asherons call, counter strike, UT... TRIBES. I really miss havin complete control over my character.
This^

I hope that with the class system though some of the skill tress cross over so they can be used in mutiple classes. having a restirictive system would really suck.

Like i dont see why almost any class could not use an SMG so that tree could be accessed as mutiple classes...same with assult rifles really.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-08, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NCLynx
Major

You can be any class you like, but you won't be spending time "researching" or w/e it will be called upgrades for the class you like it'll be spent learning leadership thingydoos. So any class you decide to play will likely have the default beginner stuff to help out, but where you come in handy is the leadership stuff your character has.

At least that's how I interpreted it.
Old 2012-01-08, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
You should know the limitations of a free form class system very well then. If you can stack all the powerful things, you cause issues.
Old 2012-01-08, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Yeah, the class system is in place to ALLOW the Devs to make each individual role really awesome. That way, they don't have to weaken sniper-rifles just because they're afraid that snipers will give themselves jump packs and medi-gear to become undying juggernauts of long-range destruction.

I think the class system is good; it will let us delve EXTREMELY deeply into the roles that we want. And not only that, but it will still totally permit someone to become a generalist, unlocking elements of any class to be able to swap out their role from any terminal or w/e. To me, the class system is vastly preferable to the other two options:

1. The Devs need to artificially restrict the power/effectiveness of MANY aspects of each role, to prevent some overpowered combinations that they discover while play-testing the game.

2. Max-level characters all look roughly identical, as overpowered combinations of weapons, armor, and abilities quickly become evident, effectively forcing players to either compete with these overpowered-combinations by choosing those combinations themselves or otherwise lose constantly at the hands of the players who DID chose the overpowered-combinations.

I think the Devs are on the right track with this one. It will let us pick our favorite flavor, and no flavor will be better than any other.

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-08, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
Yeah, the class system is in place to ALLOW the Devs to make each individual role really awesome. That way, they don't have to weaken sniper-rifles just because they're afraid that snipers will give themselves jump packs and medi-gear to become undying juggernauts of long-range destruction.

I think the class system is good; it will let us delve EXTREMELY deeply into the roles that we want. And not only that, but it will still totally permit someone to become a generalist, unlocking elements of any class to be able to swap out their role from any terminal or w/e. To me, the class system is vastly preferable to the other two options:

1. The Devs need to artificially restrict the power/effectiveness of MANY aspects of each role, to prevent some overpowered combinations that they discover while play-testing the game.

2. Max-level characters all look roughly identical, as overpowered combinations of weapons, armor, and abilities quickly become evident, effectively forcing players to either compete with these overpowered-combinations by choosing those combinations themselves or otherwise lose constantly at the hands of the players who DID chose the overpowered-combinations.

I think the Devs are on the right track with this one. It will let us pick our favorite flavor, and no flavor will be better than any other.

~Zachariah
This a thousand times.
Old 2012-01-08, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

:-)
Old 2012-01-08, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
:-)
I'm just glad someone else actually gets it
Old 2012-01-08, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I think Basti does, too. We're out there; we just need to sound-off so that everyone realizes how on-board we are with this idea.

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-08, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vancha
Colonel

I'd quite like to see class-specific leader trees actually. Some of the skills would be the same of course, but it seems inevitable that a sniper at the back would lead differently to a medic on the front line.

Edit: Also, I am absolutely a supporter of the class system, so long as they utilize the benefits that come with it.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-01-08 at 10:38 PM.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Jimmuc
Corporal

i thought higby or someone said that each class has a leadership tree so that any class can be a leader or i might be thinking things up
Old 2012-01-09, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sifer2
Major

This is actually good news. Since it means its more like the original game. I'm guessing you will still be giving up on leveling your main class's if you chose to train leader skills though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion