Equinox, Solstice? Night attacks? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Breaking News: Traffic Doubled Due to Hot Girls Thread!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-26, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Trebor95
First Sergeant

Equinox, Solstice? Night attacks?

Hi there, I have only just signed up today after a few days lurking and reading all about Planetside.

First apologies if my question has been asked (I couldnt find any posts on it)

Ok, I was wondering, in the game, I know that night won't be pitch dark, it'll be like dusk. However, I was thinking, what would it be like if say at intervals (large ones at that, like once every month or so) darkness was longer and darker than usual, enough to give the stealthers a bigger advantage, that way (in my eyes) commanders would have to perhaps plan for a defence or even a sneaky offensive at these times (adding tension I think) you would have to make sure bases were patrolled by the perimeter, sensors would have to be set-up to prevent invasions etc.

I understand it would mean nothing unless you have heavier troops etc. to back up the infiltration if hacking commences, however perhaps at these times certain squads of "Night Hawks" people with the implants for darklight vision, targeting, sound etc.

I'm doubtfull of this however and if it's a stupid idea please flame

Trebor
Old 2003-03-26, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

Welcome to PSU

I think the idea is great, since their are random weather patterns, why not random days with extended darkness, perhaps forecasted on AGN (Auraxis Global Network) a day ahead or whatnot. Since there are lights on all armors/vehicles I see no problem with it.
Old 2003-03-26, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Trebor95
First Sergeant

hi thanks for the welcome

great idea though about having it forecast on the AGN - bit like the Met office telling us sunrise and sunset times now

I also totally forgot about the lights on the vehicels handy for base defense, they would have to light up the area and will make it easier for attackers to target them?

not to sure how it actually works in practice
Old 2003-03-26, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Revulsion
Sergeant

Good idea. It should have random weather patterns like a sand storm in the desert and thunderstorms etc.
Old 2003-03-26, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
cell.nerve
Corporal

Welcome to PSU!
I also agree that this is a very good idea, would introduce a whole new level of tactics to be used. Would also influence more people to set up posts and turrets and motion sensors. Maybe have like a 5 hour 'blackout' period that could be explained by planets blocking out the sun, like an eclipse that happens on a regular basis, maybe once a week, or every 2 weeks. Giving "generals" and commanders oppurtunity to plan tactical strikes. Maybe even have an outfit plan to take over a base that another outfit is gaurding or something along those lines.
Another thing that has been sparsely discussed but is a great idea is voice comm programs such as TS2(teamspeak 2) and RW (Roger wilco) both widely used in various games. This would be great for outfits or squads to plan attacks - charge/retreat/evacuate/coordinated drops/calling in backup or cover fire. The possibilites of PS are so immense that it's impossible to name all te things that you can do.
Being a beta tester and being in several squads has given me the priveledge to see what the action is like. while ina squad, you do coordinate where to attack an defend before hand, but its difficult to call shots when the action is taking place - you can't type and fight/fly at the same time. The other day we were attacking a certain facility then came overrun by terran, I had to stop and type "Hey so and so, bring the galaxy to the southwest gate and get us outta here" He was circling above the base, and came down to land, but after i had started typing i was engaged by 2 MAX's which i usually can evade with cover fire and grenades, but since i had been typing they got the first few shots off while i was stationary costing me my life GJ guys! hehe, anyways some of my team managed to escape in the dropship, and others were killed, but it could of been evaded with voice comm - we could of flown around, healed eachother, and tried again, but with the deaths we had to wait for people to drop near by, giving them time to repair themselves and setup turrets - etc. Just some things to think about Long post eh?

Old 2003-03-26, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
cell.nerve
Corporal

"Good idea. It should have random weather patterns like a sand storm in the desert and thunderstorms etc."

There are - and they are very cool

Old 2003-03-26, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Alias
Sergeant

Good idea, and It's unique to me. So:
Good, unique, idea!
Old 2003-03-26, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
EarlyDawn
Major General

I'm upset we don't get true darkness. Flashlights and night vision implants would add different dynamics to the game.
Old 2003-03-26, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Da King
Sergeant

True darkness will be cool, then those headlights on all the tanks will do somthing
Old 2003-03-26, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SpacemanSpiff
First Sergeant

Trebor is a big fellow hardware guru.

PS is slowly going to become the closest thing to a readily available non-DOD war-games simulation that we all can enjoy.
Old 2003-03-26, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Irnbru
Contributor
Master Sergeant

total darkness would be sweet

Old 2003-03-26, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SpacemanSpiff
First Sergeant

We would have a lot of fun with tracers.
Old 2003-03-26, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sigurd
Corporal

If it got totally dark, than you definetly would have to make specialized groups of night fighters to hit installations at that time. If you look at how America fights, it uses the night to its advantage since it can see in the dark and trains to fight in the dark. The darkness can be a tool that commanders can exploit during an operation. I think the idea adds a nice touch of realism to the game that would provide interesting situations.
Old 2003-03-26, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SpacemanSpiff
First Sergeant

Of course, just as the Iraquis have nightvision, so, too, would your enemies within PS. It would add a great deal of realism, but everyone would expect an attack at night.
Old 2003-03-26, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
simba
Major

yeah but not if it was like only once a day at a specific time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion