Disposable Heroes - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hotter than Megan Fox.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-04, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Baron
First Sergeant

Disposable Heroes

It's just past lunch and I don't feel like working right now so I'll just put a thought out there for people to flame...

In PS2, I hope vehicles are not so disposable. I'm sure you all understand what I mean without having to explain, everyone can easily pull a mossie, fly to target and bail over target endlessly.

Perhaps with the deep skill tree system, empire resources and some sort of timer as in PS1, you won't have so much of this. So the guys flying/driving transports and having more support type vehicles can really become more involved.

Moving from: "It would be nice to have vehicle/role XXX right now"

to: "Man we really NEED vehicle/role XXX right now"

fire away
Old 2011-08-04, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Disposable Heroes

Yeah, the timers are way too short. The only time I ever see the timer for my Reaver is if I fly directly to some AA and die right away. And even then I'd only have to wait about 50 seconds. A 5 min timer is way too short for something like a Reaver.

Old 2011-08-04, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Playing with vehicles is just another way to play. Punishing it by increased spawn timers is silly. Why is infantry to be considered the base, correct, gameplay style? Why not a 10 minute respawn for rexo and 5 minutes for agile?

If someone wants to spend 24/7 in a reaver they should be able to. There are other methods of penalizing people who bail out of aircraft if that is needed.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

I don't think the spawn timers are silly at all. There should be a penalty for dying and the spawn timers work well. Not a harsh penalty at all, but just something. I remember the days of Everquest when you lost XP for dying, now THAT was a crappy penalty.

Perhaps vehicle timers can be more like regular spawn timers and increase the more frequently you die?

Old 2011-08-04, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

I would be fine with increasing vehicle spawn timers based on frequency of losses. Having incentive to live longer is always good.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Nice title here thought this was going to allude to a made trailer with the song "disposable heroes", alas it wasn't so...

Could be gravely mistaken on this but what the hell, I'm going to go out on a limb and cast the benediction that they'll not have vehicles just rolling out of bases like they did in the last game as long as the base was powered of course.

Instead vehicles will need resources to produce and will take some considerable time to produce some more so then others... Thus they will be more valued and the vehicles that take the longest to produce will by default be the ones that are most durable.

Last edited by Sovereign; 2011-08-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Instead vehicles will need resources to produce and will take some considerable time to produce some more so then others... Thus they will be more valued and the vehicles that take the longest to produce will by default be the ones that are most durable.
Valued vehicles tend to use infantry as a (meat)shield while it should be the other way around.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

^ Reminds me of that line in Braveheart. "Arrows cost money, but the dead cost nothing. Send the Irish"

Old 2011-08-04, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Thought it was gonna require resources that you helped capture and come out of your pool of resources and make you value you vehicle more each time you get one.
Old 2011-08-04, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bruttal View Post
Thought it was gonna require resources that you helped capture and come out of your pool of resources and make you value you vehicle more each time you get one.
They said upgrades cost money, but nothing about vehicles, so its still up in the air whether they will be free or not.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I would be fine with increasing vehicle spawn timers based on frequency of losses. Having incentive to live longer is always good.
Unless the incentive for living longer means nobody runs in the damn door and everyone stands outside like girls.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CutterJohn
Colonel

PS1 already had that in the form of infantry respawn timers.
Old 2011-08-04, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Unless the incentive for living longer means nobody runs in the damn door and everyone stands outside like girls.
Heh yeah but people tended to do that any way even if there was no timer. However it seemed to me that if two smart like minded (and crazy) people rushed in then the rest would then follow them.
Old 2011-08-04, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Atuday View Post
Heh yeah but people tended to do that any way even if there was no timer. However it seemed to me that if two smart like minded (and crazy) people rushed in then the rest would then follow them.
Yeah, anytime I see a big group of people just standing outside a door waiting for who knows what, I'll spam V-V-M a few times, then go running in. Yeah, I get cut down right away, but sometimes it works in getting people to follow me in and actually push inside.

Old 2011-08-04, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Playing with vehicles is just another way to play. Punishing it by increased spawn timers is silly. Why is infantry to be considered the base, correct, gameplay style? Why not a 10 minute respawn for rexo and 5 minutes for agile?

If someone wants to spend 24/7 in a reaver they should be able to. There are other methods of penalizing people who bail out of aircraft if that is needed.
Because infantry is the tip of the spear. You cant hold and take ground without the grunts.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion