The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2 - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No weapons, just roadkill.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-20, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Precision joystick.

This is the current badboy i own, got me through Combat Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator and can't forgot the gloriousness of MechWarrior 4:Vengeance, so, would it work in this and does it work on Windows 7?
That stick was a good friend of mine for many years, and also got me through MS Flight Sim and MW4. I am STILL using my MS Trackball Optical Explorer, and my MS Sidewinder Strategic Commander gave me a pretty sweet edge in RTS and RPGs too.

Come to think of it, Microsoft used to make some REALLY good input peripherals. I wonder what happened?!

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-20, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

I had a sidewinder back in the day. MS did make great sticks back in the day. I have no idea what ever happened to my sidewinder unfortunately. I may even go for a cheaper solution then what I previously stated. I am really unsure if I am even going to do much flying yet until I try beta.

My keyboard mouse setup is a Logitech g110 and a Razer naga mouse with Razer speed pad. I however do not run my mouse at 5600 dpi. I am getting to old and my reflexes are starting to falter I fear.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
QFAN
Private

Lightbulb Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

I have the FFB2. It's old but still very accurate/precise (since the force feedback circuit has to actively recalculate the centre position of the stick).
The only problem is that you can feel the teeth of the gears - not as smooth as a very-well-lubricated spring centering mechanism.

I suggest you buy something like Thrustmaster's T16000M, since it's relatively new, and accessible.

Don't buy Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog because it's mimicking a real A-10 stick - good hydraulic feeling but the springs in the trigger and buttons are so strong (you don't want to accidentally fire a missile on a real A-10!) that you can't fire as quickly as using a "game" stick.

Or if you want to fly a Galaxy in a fancy way...
Old 2012-07-21, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Emperor
Corporal

This is the current badboy i own, got me through Combat Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator and can't forgot the gloriousness of MechWarrior 4:Vengeance
Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
That stick was a good friend of mine for many years, and also got me through MS Flight Sim and MW4.
Ha, this is also what I had for MW4. Thinking about something more robust for PS2, though. That setup Maradine posted looks pretty ballsy.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
Ditch the stupid joysticks. This won't be a flight simulator.
tbh joysticks even in arcade air combat are better than mouse and keyboard
Old 2012-07-21, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Bravix
Sergeant Major

I'm a pilot in real life, and the joystick I use is a 20 dollar cheapo from Radioshack. Got it like...shit, 6 years ago or something?

It's great. Nothing fancy, no bright lights blinding you. This isn't it, but it's quite similar.
http://www.flightsim.com/images/reviews/joystick.jpg

Only real difference between mine and the one in the picture is that mine has a...damn I don't know what its called, the texture that's on the logitech G35 headset. It also has rudder controls on the throttle control. Its great.

If you ask me, there is no reason to have rudder controls at your feet in games. It matters in real life, but I wouldn't want it in a game.

This controller doesn't have force feedback or any of that shit. But damn has it served me well

tl;dr you can get a great controller for cheap if you don't wanna shell out the cash for the big boys.

Originally Posted by Ivam Akorahil View Post
tbh joysticks even in arcade air combat are better than mouse and keyboard
Oh and this. They are great for flying in games that support them. Generally better than an actual joystick.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Shizora
Private

I have the T.16000m. It is the most precise joystick i've ever had, and I had a lot... anyways, as a flight sim enthusiast I'll buy the Hotas Warthog soon =D
Old 2012-07-21, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Atmosfear
Private

Originally Posted by Shizora View Post
I have the T.16000m. It is the most precise joystick i've ever had, and I had a lot... anyways, as a flight sim enthusiast I'll buy the Hotas Warthog soon =D
Mine just came in the mail yesterday, but I'm not plugging it in until Beta. Accuracy was the number one reason I got it... can't beat hall sensors.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Sotonian
Corporal

I will be using a 360 pad, use it on Battlefield 3 on the PC and its great
Old 2012-07-21, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Shizora
Private

Originally Posted by StealSky View Post
Mine just came in the mail yesterday, but I'm not plugging it in until Beta. Accuracy was the number one reason I got it... can't beat hall sensors.
You mean the Hotas Warthog or the T.16000m?
Old 2012-07-21, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

This is the cheapest price Ive seen on the thrustmaster hotas 45 bucks http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T.../ref=pd_cp_e_0
Old 2012-07-21, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

This is the current badboy i own, got me through Combat Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator and can't forgot the gloriousness of MechWarrior 4:Vengeance, so, would it work in this and does it work on Windows 7?
Haha I use a Precision Pro 2 that I bought in 1998 and works well in Windows 7

Have used it to pilot jets and helicopters with a fair degree of success in BF3.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
They're shit. Use it as a doorstop instead.
Thumb sticks are easy as shit to fly with buddy. They're just tiny joysticks. This is one case where the mouse v gamepad argument doesn't belong. Plenty of other threads to bitch about other peoples gameplay choices haha.

However, in using a gamepad, you would run the risk of 60 year old quake fans talking shit to you on the Internet. .

P.S. I use mouse and keyboard for everything.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, I'd take a 360 controller over a mouse for flight control any day of the week. Even with tiny sticks, you have isometric feedback on degree of control input.
Old 2012-07-21, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Pepsi
Sergeant

It also depends on what you want to do as an airman. In terms of precision control (for example, CAS), it goes:
M&KB > Controller > Joystick

but in terms of maneuverability it goes:
Joystick > Controller > M&KB

So just pick what you think is best. Nothing really has a terrible advantage over another considering this isn't a flight sim.

And as for the topic, I use this sometimes:
Thrustmaster T16000. Excellent stick for around $30-40 and even has options for left handed gamers like me!

Last edited by Pepsi; 2012-07-21 at 01:59 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion