Systems: Fire modes, Ammo types, and Magazines - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best damn state-university in Pennsylvania...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-16, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Fire modes, Ammo types, and Magazines

I explained this in the More Weapons thread. That link contains the basic explanation and images, but I'll sum it up some things here.

For each weapon in the game players would be able to customize magazines with parallel feed mechanisms allowing multiple ammo types to be switched on the fly. Guns with multiple fire modes could restrict the types of ammo that could be fired. Ammo types would modify the accuracy, cone of fire bloom of a gun and even reload times of a magazine.

Along with this idea is the splitting of anti personal rounds into anti-health and anti-armor rounds. Anti-armor rounds would take down armor easily but do less damage to health whereas anti-heath rounds would do more damage to health and less to armor. The original Planetside armor piercing rounds would turn into anti-heavy armor rounds which would do more damage to things like maxes and vehicles.

I think it might be easier to just show you quick prototype I threw together:
Demo
I think that demo sums up the idea pretty well. I'm tired of coding it anyway so I won't be making any changes to it.

Essentially this idea would complicate the weapon system immensely and open up a lot of options for more skilled players.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-16 at 01:18 AM. Reason: fixed the link
Old 2011-07-16, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Fire modes, Ammo types, and Magazines

Your first link is bad.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I just like white/gold ammo personally. And since this game is apparently designed to be a console port to the Playstation 3 I think that layer might prove to complex for our console friends.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I just like white/gold ammo personally. And since this game is apparently designed to be a console port to the Playstation 3 I think that layer might prove to complex for our console friends.
Psh, more like PS4.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Volw
First Sergeant

So far PS2 seems to be much more complex than PS1. Your point?
Old 2011-07-16, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah as mentioned Smedley hinted at a PS4 release. Not sure if you've ever used a PS3 controller, but you can click down on the joysticks.

Also why do you care about console users? Do you want this game to feel like a console port? You want the game really dumbed down so that it can be played with 3 buttons I take it? I don't agree with that mentality.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2011-07-21, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Yeah as mentioned Smedley hinted at a PS4 release. Not sure if you've ever used a PS3 controller, but you can click down on the joysticks.

Also why do you care about console users? Do you want this game to feel like a console port? You want the game really dumbed down so that it can be played with 3 buttons I take it? I don't agree with that mentality.
I think you missed my point and discreet hatred towards the notion of PS2 being designed to be a console port.

The point was that Smedly had hinted at a possible console port in the future and since many of the more complex features of PS are getting the axe because it could prove too difficult for console users that keeping the simple white and gold option would be the best case. EDIT: They did not say this was the reason they were doing it, but one could speculate as to why they'd do it.

OF COURSE I don't want the game to feel like a console port and I hope they never choose to go down that path. I do however feel that the white and gold ammo serves it's purpose. Adding additional bullets that change your accuracy, reload time etc. would an additional layer of depth to choosing ammunition, but I don't feel that's it's really necessary considering how we're going to be able to individually specialize each weapon through a skill tree.
Old 2011-07-29, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

If they console port it I hope they keep the PC version complex and have a separate, dumbed down version that only console users can play with each other.
Old 2011-07-30, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

They won't have to change jack between either. Think about the number of keys you use already.

1. Fire
2. Reload
3. Fire mode
4. Ammo type
5. Use
6. Jump
7. Crouch
8. Zoom/ADS
9. Weapon 1
10. 2
11. 3
12. and 4
13. Knife
14. Menu (logout, options, etc.)
15. hrm... I ran out of what a grunt uses in PS1.

And I can map each and every one of those to a dual-shock and still have a stick press and select to use. They could probably figure out how to get PS2 to work with the MOVE if they even so chose.

Vehicle play demands far less keys.

Further, I know the PS3 can utilize a mouse and keyboard, most games on the PS3 just aren't programmed to use a mouse and keyboard. The Playstation 2 allowed mouse and keyboard even (that version of Half-life was the best.) I don't think much need be done for the Playstation 4 port except graphics control and coding it to run efficiently on the system.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault