Just a few Qs regarding PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's whats for Snacks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-11, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
cellinaire
Captain

Just a few Qs regarding PS2

Hello there folks =) first time post here. I've known PSU for over 5 years and a long time EQ2/Asheron's Call 2(which died years ago)player myself, but finally decided to join this ship. Very very excited about PS2 myself.

Ahem, so what I want to know is :

Is '333 vs 333 vs 333 per continent' the new 'thousands' (have seen no firm evidence supporting this information yet, though)? Quite small than what I expected, based on Smed's words.
If it's true, then I really don't have an idea why they're advertising their technology can handle 'thousands' when they simply can't. I guess they should change that info(from 'thousands' to 'hundreds') to rectify misleading informations on the net.
(and yeah, thousands of players across the continents is already possible with PS1, I guess)

And from what I could gather from the net, the upcoming ForgeLight engine boasts 'seamless on a level you've never seen before'. Really confusing(especially when you guys say "only loading when travel to another continent").

Can a red name(...err I mean blue) clarify this? plz

Last edited by cellinaire; 2011-07-11 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Volw
First Sergeant

Re: Just a few Qs regarding PS2

Thousands per server and during q&a Smedley said they are aiming at 1000 per continent.

Which is not a confirmation, just what they want to achieve.

Are we really going to start nitpicking even on how they word stuff? Wonder what's next.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
cellinaire
Captain

Hmm if I sounded like nitpicking, then really sorry about that.

But misleading information is still misleading info, I'd wager.
( I've read almost every Dev Q&As on the net and many articles from ZAM, RPS, Massively..etc for last two days, but to my surprise I've never seen them including "Thousands per server"in their sentences. Not a single one. So I wanted simple correction of infos, if possible.)

Last edited by cellinaire; 2011-07-11 at 05:59 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Hmm if I sounded like nitpicking, then really sorry about that.

But misleading information is still misleading info, I'd wager.
It's not really misleading - marketing talk, so to speak.

It could be argued whether thousads is meant per server or per continent.

Still PS1 featured 500 player battles and they were spectacular. Considering they're aiming for twice as much, they should be no less spectacular. Worry not! ;-)
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
cellinaire
Captain

Aye then. I think I really need to calm down and get out of over-expectation. Thanks
Old 2011-07-11, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Eh we're all hyped about the game and most of us are trying to read between the lines with every bit of information that comes out of SOE, me included

I guess that's why most devs shy away from giving information 'unofficially', you end up getting things like "hitboxes will play a role" turning into "dev just confirmed headshots are in PS2!!"
Old 2011-07-11, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SKYeXile
Major General

the evedence is in PS1 and MAG, sony have in the past proved they're miles ahead of their competitors when it comes to technology(cept in hack prevention) they put 500 people in 1 battle 8 years ago, why not a thousand today when PC's are like 20x more powerful and broadband is everywhere.
Old 2011-07-11, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

If there IS going to be a 333 vs 333 vs 333, i wonder what will hapen if you put them all together and launch a couple of OS's?
Server crash?
Old 2011-07-11, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Servers are pretty powerful nowadays, we have come so far in data storage and multicore architecture. Nowadays we have Solid state drives and there are plans for even faster data storage methods that make SSD's look like snails, we can write and store data faster and at a lot less cost per gigabyte, fibreoptics and high-speed internet are widespread throughout the gaming community.

When I started playing Planetside I had dial-up and a 32 mb graphics card which probably didn't even have a few megaFLOPS of processing power now I and many others have high-speed (or at least high speed relative to dial-up) internet, large amounts of RAM, multiple processing cores and dual graphics cards; 1000 players is hardly an unbelievable amount.
Old 2011-07-11, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Dorest0rm View Post
If there IS going to be a 333 vs 333 vs 333, i wonder what will hapen if you put them all together and launch a couple of OS's?
Server crash?
1000 OSes, years from now remember this post we're doing this someday.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Raymac
Brigadier General

I have the same question as the OP though. I must have missed something because everytime I've heard Smed or Higby talk about the number of people playing, they say "thousands per continent". So I'm not really sure where "one thousand per continent" came from?

Whether it's 1000 or many more, it's still going to be epic, but I've only heard them say "thousands". If they said something different, could someone point it out because I must have missed something and I want to read everything.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I have the same question as the OP though. I must have missed something because everytime I've heard Smed or Higby talk about the number of people playing, they say "thousands per continent". So I'm not really sure where "one thousand per continent" came from?

Whether it's 1000 or many more, it's still going to be epic, but I've only heard them say "thousands". If they said something different, could someone point it out because I must have missed something and I want to read everything.
Media Q&A, Smedley was asked about pops and he said they're aiming at 1000.

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-12, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Media Q&A, Smedley was asked about pops and he said they're aiming at 1000.
No, at the Fan Faire Q&A, he said thousands.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

They are aiming to have as many as possible, much of it will depend on play testing and beta to nail down an amount.

But suffice to say, the epic battles and player numbers we are familiar with will be in there.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-12, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

But suffice to say, the epic battles and player numbers we are familiar with will be in there.
Log into the game to see masses of Outfits rallied and organized in an open field from where they all take-off with the commandment of the designated player-Commander.

FUCK YEAAAGH!

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion