Systems: E-Sport - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where whoring is a sport.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 2.11 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-23, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

E-Sport

So I had an interesting idea. I'm sure most of the people, will not like it (if any at all will), but, well, idea is idea, don't go rough on it, k?

Q: Why can't we have PlanetSide 2 as a e-sport game?
A: Instances, that must necessarily be present for successful e-sport don't fit PlanetSide 2 gameplay mechanic/dynamic. The whole thing doesn't even fit the lore, a notable aspect, because that's something that's actually harder to elaborate than even respawning.

Q: Is there no way to make PlanetSide 2 an E-Sport?
A: There is. What if the actual matches were "interactive". Say we have a fight going on the continent. A competitive group A (let's imagine it being a squad, 10 people) recieves an objective "X" to attack something in "Y" amount of time. Another competitive group (B) recieves defensive objectives. They fight on a continent with everyone else.

Q: But what about other people interfering?
A: That's actually a good question. My suggestion includes inviting the actual zerg to assist the competitive team. This brings a whole new layer into competitive play - not only a fight of skill and teamplay, but a fight of connections. A can invite some outfits to assist it, B can do the same.

Q: I think it will be imbalanced, if say A will recieve backup of 300 people, while B will only be helped by 50.
A: As I said in the previous answer, this way of competitive play requires not only your outfit's domestic abilities, but also - the ability to "make friends". If you only have 50 people to back you up means you've lost 50% of competition before the match even started.

Q: Okay, another problem - the guys are going to play for real money or goods, and than some douchebag will pop out of friendly zerg and start griefing...
A: My answer to this is in two parts: 1) Upon recieving the objectives the competitive squad becomes invulnerable to friendly fire. They can hit friendlies and each other, though. 2) The event of that level will definitely be observed by a GM (if not several of them), so shit like that will be stopped fast.

Q: You said about the outfits from ouside assisting the cybersportsmen, but what's in it for them?
A: Well, rewards are easy to figure out. Starting with resources given by system for participating in the event, ending with devs implementing the resource sharing/trading. The second actually creates opportunity for mercenary outfits to exist. A metagame that surely leaves a mark on my imagination.

Q: Okay, let's imagine I'm interested. Any more specifics?
A: Well, I think all the specifics can be figured out easily, knowing the general idea. Feel free to comment.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
elementHTTP
Sergeant

Re: E-Sport

Like idea something like capture the hill with tree factions
Old 2012-06-23, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

We already got word from Higby that there will be elements of eSports in PS2. He mentioned it in one of the live streams when I asked about Fantasy Outfit Leagues (that isn't exactly what its gonna be).

Trust me, for as much of an eSports enthusiast as he is, there's no way we won't have something set up. Plus, the amount of available data and info about each character will allow fans and others to set up their own systems for eSports.
Old 2012-06-23, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Seagoon
Corporal

As cool as it would be, I dont think that involving the pubbies or alowing for Esports teams (sponsors more like) to make 'friends' (pay off) other outfits to win matches would be very benificial.

But at the same time, if you take away the massive gameplay, PS2 stops being PS.

Instead if you have multiple matches taking place at the same time over the same area, (each one being casted seperately?) then you have the large scale fights but with less of the issues. different teams can work together for mutual benifit, but they all have different goals.

Imagine forinstance, 9 different esports teams (30 players per, 3 per PS2 faction) fighting over a three base area with smaller bases inbetween, each team has a different goal for example defending the main base, or capturing another or killing a certain ammount of one of the empires teams and so on and so forth.

This still alows for much of the inter team drama, imagine two teams that are known rivals happening to be placed on the same empire, will they work together? will they try to hinder eachother etc...

So a simmilar take, but with less of the random bullshit that could happen, or the entirety of PS2 becoming about who is helping what esports team.

EDIT: The real problem of all of this is that there is just not enough money in esports to maintain this large a group of esports players.

Last edited by Seagoon; 2012-06-23 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
So I had an interesting idea. I'm sure most of the people, will not like it (if any at all will), but, well, idea is idea, don't go rough on it, k?

Q: Why can't we have PlanetSide 2 as a e-sport game?
A: Instances, that must necessarily be present for successful e-sport don't fit PlanetSide 2 gameplay mechanic/dynamic. The whole thing doesn't even fit the lore, a notable aspect, because that's something that's actually harder to elaborate than even respawning.

Q: Is there no way to make PlanetSide 2 an E-Sport?
A: There is. What if the actual matches were "interactive". Say we have a fight going on the continent. A competitive group A (let's imagine it being a squad, 10 people) recieves an objective "X" to attack something in "Y" amount of time. Another competitive group (B) recieves defensive objectives. They fight on a continent with everyone else.

Q: But what about other people interfering?
A: That's actually a good question. My suggestion includes inviting the actual zerg to assist the competitive team. This brings a whole new layer into competitive play - not only a fight of skill and teamplay, but a fight of connections. A can invite some outfits to assist it, B can do the same.

Q: I think it will be imbalanced, if say A will recieve backup of 300 people, while B will only be helped by 50.
A: As I said in the previous answer, this way of competitive play requires not only your outfit's domestic abilities, but also - the ability to "make friends". If you only have 50 people to back you up means you've lost 50% of competition before the match even started.

Q: Okay, another problem - the guys are going to play for real money or goods, and than some douchebag will pop out of friendly zerg and start griefing...
A: My answer to this is in two parts: 1) Upon recieving the objectives the competitive squad becomes invulnerable to friendly fire. They can hit friendlies and each other, though. 2) The event of that level will definitely be observed by a GM (if not several of them), so shit like that will be stopped fast.

Q: You said about the outfits from ouside assisting the cybersportsmen, but what's in it for them?
A: Well, rewards are easy to figure out. Starting with resources given by system for participating in the event, ending with devs implementing the resource sharing/trading. The second actually creates opportunity for mercenary outfits to exist. A metagame that surely leaves a mark on my imagination.

Q: Okay, let's imagine I'm interested. Any more specifics?
A: Well, I think all the specifics can be figured out easily, knowing the general idea. Feel free to comment.
What you want is shootmania. See here:http://www.shootmania.com/
It should have a more e-sport feel to it.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Xaine
Major

Like the idea a lot sir.

+1.
Old 2012-06-24, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Knotz
Sergeant

Planetside isnt an esports style title... nor do i want it to be.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
Planetside isnt an esports style title... nor do i want it to be.
You didn't read it, did you?
Old 2012-06-24, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cuross
Master Sergeant

I am actually waiting for and fully expecting there to be an eSport revolving around a bunch of players hopping in ATV's and racing around the continent shooting at each other with their rocket launchers

But on a grander note, I am also expecting a continent set off to the side as invite only and two or three outfits or squads/platoons (one for each competing faction) fight for maybe thirty minutes over domination of one or two bases.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
vampyro
Corporal

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
I am actually waiting for and fully expecting there to be an eSport revolving around a bunch of players hopping in ATV's and racing around the continent shooting at each other with their rocket launchers

But on a grander note, I am also expecting a continent set off to the side as invite only and two or three outfits or squads/platoons (one for each competing faction) fight for maybe thirty minutes over domination of one or two bases.
Yea maybe something separate, like what was setup for E3, with staging areas and out of bounds.

I think this would ruin the world gameplay if it was done nightly. Would have to be like cal. With a season and only once a week. Dunno tho...
Old 2012-06-24, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Knotz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You didn't read it, did you?
Yes, and I also read the one in Planetside Discussions... I said no to that too.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BillyBob
Corporal

As far as I'm concerned, you can have all the e-sports you want...just as long as you keep it the hell away from whichever server I'll be on.

Modifying crucial core mechanics such as friendly fire on a regular server where most people are trying to fight a proper war just to accommodate for e-sports, is IMO completely out of the question.

As is using valuable resources such as SOE staff to manually babysit it for that matter. I'd rather see all that time and effort be put into something that would benefit ALL players, like for example monitoring for hackers/exploiters.

I have no problem with the e-sport crowd being allowed to have their fun by playing their little games of tag or whatever...as long as they do it on their own server and don't get in the way of us true soldiers and our killing.

/BB
Old 2012-06-26, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Femtobyte
Private

Maybe we could get around the difficulties here by implementing it into something like the VTC idea talked about in this thread?

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43892

That we you could have some sort of instanced play, that could recreate an area for matches vs other players (possibly assaulting a specific base / hex from the map)

It could be used for training / tutorial purposes, or for e-sports. Without interfering with the rest of Planetside.

Of course the down-side here is you are essentially creating a CoD mini-game.
:/ But hey, if people wanna play it, there's no real reason to not let them do what they want.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Femtobyte View Post
Maybe we could get around the difficulties here by implementing it into something like the VTC idea talked about in this thread?

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43892

That we you could have some sort of instanced play, that could recreate an area for matches vs other players (possibly assaulting a specific base / hex from the map)

It could be used for training / tutorial purposes, or for e-sports. Without interfering with the rest of Planetside.

Of course the down-side here is you are essentially creating a CoD mini-game.
:/ But hey, if people wanna play it, there's no real reason to not let them do what they want.
Again, I'm personally cool with whichever setup would isolate the e-sport from us "regular" players, be it a separate server or an instance.

I also fully agree that players who wish to engage in e-sports should be able to do so, just as long as those who don't also get the option to completely avoid it.

I.e., freedom of choice must apply to both groups of players and to the same extent as well.

/BB
Old 2012-06-27, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

The main issue I've run into while trying to come up with a version of e-sports that fits Planetside is that Planetside is chaos and interference by nature, and the people who seem most outspoken about having some sort of "e-sports" element want an orderly event segregated from the playerbase.

I've reached the conclusion that compromising would sacrifice too much.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault