E3 - GameSpot Stage Shows : Planetside 2 E3 2012 Demo (Interview w/ Higby) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 4 A.M. Already...?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: E3 - GameSpot Stage Shows : Planetside 2 E3 2012 Demo (Interview w/ Higby)

Gotta take what we see here with a grain of salt. They're trying to simulate hundreds of players battling across a continent with only a few dozen. Like unlimited resources...
I agree with the point you were making; though I saw guys being short on resources (not being able to spawn a vehicle) a number of times...?

Edit:

Otherwise yeah the demo looked awesome considering it was just office balance/tweaking.

Last edited by Red Beard; 2012-06-06 at 03:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

Yea the sounds that really caught my attention were the VS weapons.

Went back and re-watched the direct videos, and yea the conventional weapons sounded kinda weak. But all can brought up to par with updates. Not just including beta but though out the games lifetime.

Seems like some of the sounds are missing too, mainly explosions.

Last edited by JimmyOmaha; 2012-06-06 at 03:13 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Did anyone else notice the grenade warning? At 1:15 ish. Hope that's just there for E3
Old 2012-06-06, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Loved what I saw - people complaining simply do not have a clue.

MAXs driving is there for testing and demo gameplay, they are not testing the nuances of combat flow obviously here.

One shot head shots with a sniper rifle - needed, get the game out of the stone age.

Spawning in armour - you seriously liked that total waste of time in the original? That confusing mechanic that led to new players getting killed over and over again? That mechanic that encouraged and rewarded spawn camping?

Quick knife is fine - if you can sneak up to someones back you deserve to kill them.

TTK is fine, it already takes longer than most FPS games, in the original it took way, way too long.

People are also complaining about the skill of the players - come on really? These are people standing at a busy, noisy booth who have never played on the map before, never used that weapon or vehicle and quite often have no clue what the aim of the game is. Sure we could show it off better, but that'll happen in time.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
EVILoHOMER
Major

I'm sick of people calling out for gameplay things to get changed when they haven't even played the game and don't know how those certain things are balanced to the rest of the game. Like kill cams and how people actually think they would give away your position so they would come back to kill you or something. Lets be honest that doesn't even happen in Battlefield 3 where maps are smaller and with less people, some one always see's that kill or that person knows where they got killed from. You're going to have a directional damage warning and know where you're being shot from and there will be hundreds of other people to see that. Also by the time they manage to get to where you were, you'd have moved or have been killed or they don't even care and are fighting someone else.

I just want the game to go into beta before people start complaining about gameplay.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post

Quick knife is fine - if you can sneak up to someones back you deserve to kill them.
Saying what I said I'll wait to see how it plays out on Planetside 2. However if it turns out like COD where it's easier to knife everyone in close quarters than it is to shoot, then it'll need to go.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

I will add those here:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...oundup-109.htm

We are keeping a running list of press.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-06, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Attackmack
Corporal

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Loved what I saw - people complaining simply do not have a clue.

MAXs driving is there for testing and demo gameplay, they are not testing the nuances of combat flow obviously here.

One shot head shots with a sniper rifle - needed, get the game out of the stone age.

Spawning in armour - you seriously liked that total waste of time in the original? That confusing mechanic that led to new players getting killed over and over again? That mechanic that encouraged and rewarded spawn camping?

TTK is fine, it already takes longer than most FPS games, in the original it took way, way too long.

People are also complaining about the skill of the players - come on really? These are people standing at a busy, noisy booth who have never played on the map before, never used that weapon or vehicle and quite often have no clue what the aim of the game is. Sure we could show it off better, but that'll happen in time.

Spawning in armor...YES i liked the fact that when you respawn you had to collect your gear before running back into combat.

I might not care so much if you spawn with gear when respawning at hard points like bases and towers. But when respawning at Gals ( or the horrible feature which should be removed alltogheter that makes you respawn at your squad mates) should NOT be with full gear.

A lot of people complaining DOES in fact have a clue, much more so then you and I. And many doesn't like this dumbed down, mainstreamed and shallow game that is being developed as a sequel for what they feel was one of the best games ever created.

Argue and discuss all you want, thats what this forums is all about, but stop trying to act like you know shit you don't.
Old 2012-06-06, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Higby's strat at around the 2:50 mark of loading a Flash up with boomers and running them into folks sounds awesome!
Old 2012-06-07, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hyiero
Private

Originally Posted by Attackmack View Post
Spawning in armor...YES i liked the fact that when you respawn you had to collect your gear before running back into combat.

I might not care so much if you spawn with gear when respawning at hard points like bases and towers. But when respawning at Gals ( or the horrible feature which should be removed alltogheter that makes you respawn at your squad mates) should NOT be with full gear.

A lot of people complaining DOES in fact have a clue, much more so then you and I. And many doesn't like this dumbed down, mainstreamed and shallow game that is being developed as a sequel for what they feel was one of the best games ever created.

Argue and discuss all you want, thats what this forums is all about, but stop trying to act like you know shit you don't.
Spawning on squadmates is on like a 300sec timer...it really isn't that big of a deal,so your not gonna be spawning on ur squad over and over at a base cause garentee if ur storming a base with 150+ people there,ur not gonna live 5 mins unless u are staying away from the fight.And the dumbdown that u think it is because u spawn in armor rdy for combat is a change in times, they would lose a good amount people if they force them to use a get armor from a terminal,spawn camping was not fun when u were getting camped. I personal played ps1 for 3+ years and from what I've got to play of ps2 I greatly enjoy a lot of the "dumbdown" additions.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Another video I just watch over at Gamespot.
I have not seen it here yet (didnt look hard enough?) and only just caught it on twitter.

The Growing Battlefield in PlanetSide 2
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6381290...e-2/index.html

The most important part was the beta info.

ShortBushhero has a thread up.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42167

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2012-06-07 at 12:30 AM. Reason: new thread created
Old 2012-06-07, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
Another video I just watch over at Gamespot.
I have not seen it here yet (didnt look hard enough?) and only just caught it on twitter.

The Growing Battlefield in PlanetSide 2
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6381290...e-2/index.html

The most important part was the beta info.

ShortBushhero has a thread up.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42167
Just watched that video myself. It so good to hear to whole team saying "beta in weeks."

Man, that app looks cool too, although I've got a laptop so I'm sure it will be a on the go thing for me. Most of the time I'll have either the game or website up. [hint] I'd make a great tester [/hint]
Old 2012-06-07, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I think the degree that you spawn on squad mates is the degree to which you'll render other spawn points like towers and Gals unused; clumping up the zerg cloud further, with less probability of fighting going on the outside of bases.

I like a significant timer on the squad spawn, so as to limit it's use to coordinated attacks involving planning and organization.

Last edited by Red Beard; 2012-06-07 at 01:13 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
RNFB
First Sergeant

What needs more attention than the sounds are the VS weapon particle effects. Little purple dots instead of the awesome teal/purple beams is really disappointing. The VS MAX could use some better animation as well.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
I think the degree that you spawn on squad mates is the degree to which you'll render other spawn points like towers and Gals unused; clumping up the zerg cloud further, with less probability of fighting going on the outside of bases.

I like a significant timer on the squad spawn, so as to limit it's use to coordinated attacks involving planning and organization.

Agreed. One of the single biggest factors of determining the flow of combat in any FPS is where the spawns are. If you make respawning on other players, and in vehicles the primary method well then you pretty much make the game just a chaotic cluster****. Some downtime between deaths is not a bad thing. It makes it more meaningful, and makes killing your enemies matter more. Having clear lines of battle with a goal to fight towards(usually the spawn points) so the fight is not so chaotic, and zergish is not a bad thing.

The obsession with trying to speed the game up is what may be the games downfall. But I guess we can hammer home these points once were in Beta with player counts closer to what they will be on release. Right now I think the pacing looks very off, and it will be more apparent how off it is once they have hundreds fighting it out instead of 30 or so like in these vids.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion