Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 27 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Authorized ePenis size calculator.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #391
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

Originally Posted by WNxThentar View Post
How is the OP going to delete other peoples posts?
That was amended by a mod. The thread was being 'cleaned up' regularly yesterday.
Old 2012-06-14, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #392
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

I'm sure it won't be too long before many of us get a chance to play...we're probably only talking about 1-2 weeks tops surely?

I understand the principle that many longer-term vets (including myself) of the original feel like we are 'owed' first entry into Planetside 2 and should be in before everyone else, however, this is a very different game targeted at a much wider audience.

Loss of population over time and the fairly high learning curve / hardcore nature of Planetside 1 were substantial contributing factors of its demise over the years.

I think the devs have been extremely tactical in hand-picking elite gaming communities to not only give very good feedback but ensure the seed is sown for the long-term survival of the game and population as a mainstream FPS title.

For the sake of a couple of weeks to increase the chances that the game remains free-to-play and flourishes over the years, this is definitely something to be patient on.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #393
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

No spam mail from Nigeria please.
Old 2012-06-14, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #394
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I say we pick who gets in first based on how awesome their sig pics are.
Old 2012-06-14, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #395
Hamma
PSU Admin

I read your post Malorn and it was a good one.

For the record it's not just me and Jennyboo representing the PlanetSide Community.. that would be silly.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-14, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #396
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No spam mail from Nigeria please.
HELLO

MY NAM IS CHIEF MAKINDI

I WOLD LIKE TO TRANZFER NINE MILLON DOLLAS INTO YOUR PRIVATE ACCONT.

WOULD YOU LIKE A BIGGER ****?
Old 2012-06-14, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #397
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Context, people. You are completely misreading what I wrote.
It happens a lot around here. Over and over and over.

There are a number of posters here who do not read, or comprehend what others are saying, Or they like to put words into posts that were not there, then flame the assertion they created.

Its getting as bad as forumside was when the population fell.

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
They could invite whoever they want to privately test the game. The only thing they have to honor is that vets would be invited before beta became open.

And this is by no means a beta invite or an announcement, and vets still get preemptively butthurt over it.
As usual, you missed my point, and asserted your own as mine. Its OK though, Malorn handled it.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-06-14 at 09:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #398
Masahiko
Private

I broke my f5 key
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-14, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #399
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'm not going to continue debating anything here, I think I've made my points and if you don't agree...well, you don't agree. That's OK too.

I would however like to clarify a misinterpretation of what I have posted, as I think there is a pretty big misunderstanding about what I was writing about yesterday and several folks read what I wrote very differently than expected. So please allow me to give some context as to what I was writing about and why. The following quote captures the misunderstanding quite well.

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Marlon is welcome to request more information and I hope he gets it. But with this post, you cannot deny his is doing more than just that. He is outlining in great detail (which I appreciated) his opinion on why veterans should be the first into the beta. That's what spurred this discussion.
There two small but highly significant inaccuracies in this bolded part above.

1) I was not advocating "vets first"; I was advocating both vets and outsiders simultaneously.

Here is the last line to the post you referenced illustrating that.

"You don't take one or the other - they need both together, and they need good samples from both. Together they will represent players well, different markets, and different perspectives and having all of those is what will make PlanetSide 2 the best it can be."

2) I was referring to the First Platoon program, not beta.

Per-Higby, First Platoon is not a beta invite - it's a forum discussion group. I think it is vitally important that veterans are adequately represented in such a forum. That is actually why I was upset yesterday - not because of beta.

It had nothing to do with Beta invites. I am quite cool waiting for beta. Been waiting years, few more days/weeks/months is a drop in the bucket. I'm patient. If you read my early posts in this thread you can see I was a bit jolly and understanding about how beta is being handled. Waves make sense, and sure not every vet is going to get in at once - I get it, and I'm cool with it, and I said so several times. It was the First Platoon program, not the beta, that confused and upset me.

I want to ensure that in the First Platoon forum the vet knowledge is not drowned out by outsiders. I think both should be fairly represented and I wasn't seeing a lot of vets or many people that I believed would adequately represent the vet community on the list (Hamma and Snipefrag are good picks, but I was expecting many more than that). It was exacerbated by the lack of information from the devs about this program. Thus, I was concerned and confused, and I wanted to know what was going on.

I hope that clarifies things. If not then I give up.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #400
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i'm not sure if you guys noticed Trays tweet, but he said the beta would be scheduled.

tweet:
Just want to know is the beta will be schedule like 4 hours 2 time a week or it will be 24/7 ? if you can confirme it will be nice!

reply:
it will be scheduled

so basically a weekend beta.
i'm not sure if i like this, since things like this are usually US based, so it kinda screws over EU fans that cant stay up till 5 at night cause they have a job or school.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #401
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Could some dev please post and respond to the statement made above, if it's scheduled I really want to hear someone say it won't completely and utterly ruin the entire thing for European players.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #402
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Assuming the beta is scheduled at first being playable Friday, Saturday, and Sunday what is the big deal? Thats three days of play time. I can see it being a problem if it was like Tuesday from 6 PM to 11:59 PM EST.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #403
Anderz
Master Sergeant

1) I was not advocating "vets first"; I was advocating both vets and outsiders simultaneously.

Here is the last line to the post you referenced illustrating that.

"You don't take one or the other - they need both together, and they need good samples from both. Together they will represent players well, different markets, and different perspectives and having all of those is what will make PlanetSide 2 the best it can be."
I understand that, by my counter argument still stands: letting all the vets in simultaneously with the clan players will kill the conversation they gamers bring to the table. If you want me to clarify, read up and you'll find my post explaining my reasoning for that.

2) I was referring to the First Platoon program, not beta.

Per-Higby, First Platoon is not a beta invite - it's a forum discussion group. I think it is vitally important that veterans are adequately represented in such a forum. That is actually why I was upset yesterday - not because of beta.

It had nothing to do with Beta invites. I am quite cool waiting for beta. Been waiting years, few more days/weeks/months is a drop in the bucket. I'm patient. If you read my early posts in this thread you can see I was a bit jolly and understanding about how beta is being handled. Waves make sense, and sure not every vet is going to get in at once - I get it, and I'm cool with it, and I said so several times. It was the First Platoon program, not the beta, that confused and upset me.

I want to ensure that in the First Platoon forum the vet knowledge is not drowned out by outsiders. I think both should be fairly represented and I wasn't seeing a lot of vets or many people that I believed would adequately represent the vet community on the list (Hamma and Snipefrag are good picks, but I was expecting many more than that). It was exacerbated by the lack of information from the devs about this program. Thus, I was concerned and confused, and I wanted to know what was going on.

I hope that clarifies things. If not then I give up.
A fair point. I actually had no idea someone edited my OP with that information from Higby. Still, the First Platoon will have priority access also, and it is irrecoverably tied to the beta, but let's not get too bogged down on the semantics and get back to the actual meat of what's being argued.

You say they vets deserve to be in the beta forums giving feedback with the others, and I say they shouldn't. Not yet, anyway.

There are two reasons why I think that:

1.) PSU is where the vets give feedback; they don't need another forum as the developers are constantly browsing the threads here. This beta forum therefore has a different purpose; to congregate the opinions of people who might not be an active member of PSU. This saves time, as there is no need for the developers to scour through 50 different gaming/clan forums to see what they're saying about Planetside 2. This way, they're getting these clans to come to them and give their feedback directly. It's also a neat piece of marketing!

2.) The vets have been giving feedback for almost a decade; I think it's time to let others have a say. Importantly, they deserve to have their say free from any ridicule or influence that can derive from having masses of veterans hovering around, picking their opinions apart. It can be daunting coming into a new community with your own ideas and experiences and being completely shut out of the conversation because the veterans don't share those experiences and would much rather stick to what they know.

Also, let's not forget that the veterans are being represented at this point. Hamma made that clear. What's important is that they're not being overrepresented. Currently, those in the First Platoon have been hand picked to ensure a healthy and respectful balance of opinions. It's when the majority starts to crush the voices of the minority that I start to worry. That's why they shouldn't open the floodgates to the veterans just yet.

Lastly, Malorn, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. It wasn't my intention. I'm really just here to discuss (what I hope to be) my favourite game, like I imagine you are.

Last edited by Anderz; 2012-06-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #404
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Assuming the beta is scheduled at first being playable Friday, Saturday, and Sunday what is the big deal? Thats three days of play time. I can see it being a problem if it was like Tuesday from 6 PM to 11:59 PM EST.
i dont know about everyone, but i'm not 16 anymore and my biorythm doesnt do well with these heavy switches, not without turning me into a zombie for the next week.

i dont really mind a scheduled beta ( i would have preffered to play all week long ^^ ) but i'm just hoping they time the schedule so everyone can join in on the fun.
and doing the whole weekend would indeed solve this problem, but ive seen bad scheduled betas before.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-14 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #405
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I hope it is 24/7 as well. Hopefully its weekly too. Not the BS going on with GW with having it be nearly a month between the tests.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion