so a 2-man tank can be effective with 1?! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now selling Vanu brand special Kool-Aid!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-08, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
thegame109
First Sergeant

so a 2-man tank can be effective with 1?!

"You can switch between weapons as a driver or have gunners. Main turrets do have SOME splash damage but are mainly for tanks so will be less useful against infantry."

Does this mean it's like battlefield 1942 where you can change positions in the tank so that 1 guy could use a 2 man tank effectively?,i mean if i was the driver i could stop and change to the gunner by pressuing a key?

PLEASE clear this one up if you know guys!!

THX!

PLANETSIDE!!
Old 2003-02-08, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ludio
First Sergeant

SmokeJumper wasn't very clear, but it appears that is what he meant.
Old 2003-02-08, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
thegame109
First Sergeant

This would make me VERY VERY HAPPY and instead of making a max i'de go all out vechles if this is what he means?!

PLANETSIDE!!
Old 2003-02-08, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sputty
Banned

Wel, yo'd either be 8unable to fight back or unable to moive. Either would equal your death if another tank or a Reaver came by.
Old 2003-02-08, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I thought the driver controlled the turret automatically, a la BF1942. Even if he doesn't, no big deal. Switching between the main gun and driving with artillery in BF1942 wasn't too bad, and I think I'd much rather do the moving and firing myself rather than rely on someone else to do the gunning.
Old 2003-02-08, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sputty
Banned

For the heavy tanks there's a gunner/driver. For the lightning it's like BF1942. BTW, I think that people who do try to use the Hevy tanks alone will probably die when met with a 2 manned.
Old 2003-02-08, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
thegame109
First Sergeant

Hey dave can we get a word from you on his buddy?.

PLANETSIDE!!
Old 2003-02-08, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

I think he just meant the lighting, like when he was talkin about why some vehicles use arrow keys and some use mouse, its because the lightning is a one man tank and needs control for driving and guns, where as the vanguard can have a gunner and the driver can keep his eyes on the road. I don't think one person could drive and shoot with a tank like the vanguard at the same time, maybey if he switched seats, but then you sacrifice movment and your just a big flat turret.
Old 2003-02-08, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Arshune
Captain

I think he meant that tanks can be used by just one person, but a gunner would make things a lot more efficient. With a gunner, the driver doesn't have to turn his view and won't end up accidentally driving off a cliff while trying to aim at something, and since the gunner would be concentrating exclusively on aiming there'd be a lot fewer missed shots. I think this because he said the driver of a tank can switch weapons, but he didn't say it could switch positions.

-Our principal is SO hardcore.
Old 2003-02-08, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
�io
Lieutenant General

It wouldn't make sense if you can do it a la BF1942, they are trying to make PS a very team oriented game, allowing 1 guy to do the job of 2 defeats that purpose. Either i won't mind.
Old 2003-02-08, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
afex
Contributor
Major

no, i doubt it means that.

in some vehicles the driver controls multiple guns.

you can switch between them is all he's saying
Old 2003-02-08, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Arshune
Captain

People switch to gunnery positions on planes in flight in BF1942 all the time, once you get the timing down it's not hard to switch, fire, and keep going without having a horrible crash.

Old 2003-02-08, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Arshune
Captain

I really wish that this question would have been asked in the interview or that it had been made more clear...now we have to wait until the next interview/preview to find out for sure.

Old 2003-02-08, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

My view on it was he basically was saying this:

IF you can use the main turret as the driver, you can switch from the turret to a secondary weapon.

Meaning, if the driver initially couldn't run a gun and drive in the specific vehicle, they couldn't switch.
Old 2003-02-09, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
�io
Lieutenant General

I would have loved to ask if there will there be PtP cards for PS for those without access to a CC but forgot about it during interview.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion