Vehicle refunds - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep out of reach of children
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-23, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Re: Vehicle refunds

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Depending on how the vehicle operator/crew make use of the vehicle it maybe harder to actually get that vehicle destroyed. I could go for several hours in a Vanguard in PS in pop locked fights if I was driving properly, I don't see why this can't be the same in PS2.

What it comes down to for me is I don't want people just switching out of their current vehicle to something else just due to being able to get a full refund. A player should be smart with their resources. Being able to get a full refund for major purchases like vehicles prevents this in my opinion. If someone decides that a certain vehicle isn't to their liking for the current combat situation they can freely just recycle it for another. A player should instead have to choose whether to take the cut in resources or continue to fight in the current vehicle till it dies.
I agree. I think 100% refunds is a silly idea and promotes thoughtless gameplay.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

For people logging off I guess thats possible. As long as its limited to perhaps one vehicle. That way we do not have a stock pile of vehicles we can pull out.
Just logging off? I disagree. For doing whatever else you wish. Its just a game. Some people enjoy vehicle gameplay, and want the freedom to switch vehicles like infantry can switch classes.

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
I agree. I think 100% refunds is a silly idea and promotes thoughtless gameplay.
Like playing smart and keeping your vehicle alive so you have the option of refunding it and using it again later? Thats smart gameplay to me. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

For this I don't think having a limiter on is something that solves this. Having a vehicle out after X seconds means you can get say a 40% refund on it if it proves not to be what you want out there. If its under X amount of seconds you get a full refund due to selecting the wrong vehicle. For players logging off if they want to store their current vehicle in a bay limited to the foot holds (maybe?) that is doable for people wanting to switch out. A bay/garage will just be a panel people go to in order to retrieve the vehicle. Its not player housing.

@ Cutter. Thats fine. It didn't cross my mind as I only saw people logging off. You can put the vehicle away in the garage I guess at any time.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-04-23 at 11:14 AM.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Being able to get a full refund for major purchases like vehicles prevents this in my opinion. If someone decides that a certain vehicle isn't to their liking for the current combat situation they can freely just recycle it for another. A player should instead have to choose whether to take the cut in resources or continue to fight in the current vehicle till it dies.
I think this is the real difference of opinion here: how much the vehicles will actually cost. I didn't see what you were getting at until you mentioned that they'd be a "major purchase."

My gut instinct says that vehicles will be somewhat costly when you're brand new to the game, but after playing for a few days/weeks, vehicles of all kinds will be a dime a dozen. In that case, you'd agree that refunds (full refunds or otherwise) don't really matter much, right?
Old 2012-04-23, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Just logging off? I disagree. For doing whatever else you wish. Its just a game. Some people enjoy vehicle gameplay, and want the freedom to switch vehicles like infantry can switch classes.
I don't really see the problem with vehicle refunds. If you never risked your vehicle, there is no harm in getting another, if you risked it and remained alive, you've earned it.

So: Log in, hear there's an attack on X base, grab a vehicle and go, get there just in time to learn that it's devolved to infantry only door camping/throwing yourselves bodily at the doors, and you either waste your vehicle by jumping out to join, or spend 10 minutes driving somewhere else where there are vehicles needed.

And changing your role on the fly is called "Sandbox Play", something to be protected and promoted. HOWEVER, the penalty could be more severe based on temporal brevity, such as: Request an immediate refund, you only receive 20%(at least you get something). 5 minutes later you get 40%, 20 minutes later you get 100%.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-23 at 11:18 AM.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
I think this is the real difference of opinion here: how much the vehicles will actually cost. I didn't see what you were getting at until you mentioned that they'd be a "major purchase."

My gut instinct says that vehicles will be somewhat costly when you're brand new to the game, but after playing for a few days/weeks, vehicles of all kinds will be a dime a dozen. In that case, you'd agree that refunds (full refunds or otherwise) don't really matter much, right?
I haven't kept track of the resource process as much as others have. I am pretty sure the developers have said resources are not going to be to the point where you do not know what to do with them. I am sure people will be able to pull vehicles, but in terms of resources I am assuming its going to be one of the higher costs. If people could do whatever they wished like in the original PS, there would be no reason in having resources in the first place.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

If people could do whatever they wished like in the original PS, there would be no reason in having resources in the first place.
Yeah I agree, you don't want resources to feel "empty" and useless, and let the economy (of sorts) get out of hand.

On the other side of the coin, though, vehicle gameplay is an integral part of the Planetside experience and I doubt they'll make you run around on foot most of the game, scrounging for a few more resources and wishing for a set of wheels.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't see vehicle gameplay being hampered by the new system. In PS you could do suicide runs due to only having a 5 minute timer if you wished with a tank. Now with the resource system I don't think people will be doing such runs as often. Going to the extreme if I was bored I would just do GG, Galaxy, and lodestar runs into packed bases for quite a few runs. I probably won't be doing this in the new game due to my resources getting depleted rather quickly.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
CutterJohn
Colonel

No, thats just getting too complex, and largely pointless. Vehicles aren't going to be some major expense. You won't be saving all evening for a tank. You'll save for a few minutes for one. I just had this idea to get rid of a minor annoyance, that when you were done with a vehicle it was wasted resources.

I guess we'll just have to disagree that switching vehicles is bad. I see it as no different than switching infantry, which is also free.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

This may be a little late in the thread to mention this, but I was just looking over a recent interview with Higby. According to that, the vehicles themselves won't cost ANY resources, which would nullify the refund question:

(From the "What We Know" sticky)
- Resources never limit what vehicles you can pull
- Resources are used to add modifications to vehicles, such as mortar/better AI/etc on tank for secondary gunner
- Resources can unlock things forever; not a 100% constant drain of resources for everything
- Resource poor empires can still pull all vehicles / weapons
Old 2012-04-23, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Ok well that I didn't know. Thanks for the clarification....
Old 2012-04-23, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

This may be a little late in the thread to mention this, but I was just looking over a recent interview with Higby. According to that, the vehicles themselves won't cost ANY resources, which would nullify the refund question:

- Resources are used to add modifications to vehicles, such as mortar/better AI/etc on tank for secondary gunner
- Resources can unlock things forever; not a 100% constant drain of resources for everything
Better AI?
Old 2012-04-23, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

AI = Anti Infantry
Old 2012-04-23, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
CutterJohn
Colonel

Interesting.

Well. New question then will be can we get refunds on the mods when we tire of the vehicle or want to change it up.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Are mods what you buy and its permanent? As in you can equip without cost later.

This is why I though tanks will cost resources from awhile ago:

• Resources needed from this land to pull advanced vehicles

Is this no longer the case?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion