Indoor Combat? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Warning! Do not point it directly at your eyes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-31, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Indoor Combat?

So after looking at the footage it *seems* that there is not much close quarters indoor combat anymore. Even the tech plant which Higby mentioned as one of the bigger indoor fighting areas looks very spacious, almost like an outdoors area with a roof over it.

My question is: Will we see any areas where the combat is really close quarters, like the bases were in PS1 with the stairwells and corridors? Also, if PS2 will not feature that type of combat, is this a good or bad thing?

Personally, I am interested to see how it plays out in beta, but I am also more than slightly concerned with such a focus on vehicle combat how the infantry aspect of the game will work. It is a FPS after all, not world of tanks. Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what it is like in beta and hoping that there will be plenty of indoor combat areas that offer both a mid-long range combat such as the bit of the Tech Plant that we saw as well as close quarter combat like we had in PS1. I like to get up close and personal with my enemies. ^_^

Discuss..
Old 2012-05-31, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Indoor Combat?

considering they plan to up the amount of people, i never thought bases were gonna be like they were in PS1, the game has changed, in planetside infantry could take a hit and duel it out and force through a chockepout, in games like this with a faster TTK you cant really do that, its about who get the jump on who, funnelling down a long corridor into guys with rifles trained down it while they're hiding behind cover is a sure recipe for RAGEEEEEEEEEE!...also theres way more people per map.

seriously just try to imagine playing BFBC2 but taking an interlink facility against dug in defenders. gonna be more aids than it was in ps.

oh well more people outside to cut down with my scythe.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-31 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dairian
Sergeant

I also am a close combat player. 90% of my time was spent in Rexo/HA MCG. and the other 10% was traveling to the ground fights. The base did look more like mid-long range. I remember the alpha game play video where Higby was playing in a bio dome and it looked like some good close combat. Looks like they just made the tech more of a mid range. Hopefully the other tower Higby talked about is more close combat than the one in the vid.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
kaffis
Contributor
Major

The different base types will promote different types of play. The Tech Plant is infantry-centric, long-range fighting due to its large, open indoor spaces.

The towers will be somewhat less so; they contain more choke points, but still have short "hallways" (the stairwells) and relatively few doors.

Presumably, the Biolabs will favor closer quarters, as well.

In any event, the variety is a good thing, and steering away from the ultra-close-quarters, all the time that PS1 base design promoted is a good thing, because it really heavily favored close range guns by not giving rifles room to be useful. Even the tower has a variety of effective combat ranges represented, so this is a very good thing.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Aye, I remember seeing a concept of the inside of a biodome and it looked to be a very interesting close quarters kind of place. With the number of people playing now I'm sure the devs were aware that having an abundance of close range situations is a bad decision. But it makes sense that there will be plenty of places where a close range weapon will shine; maybe at some control panels, underground sections we haven't seen yet, and chokepoints near doorways.

We will see
Old 2012-05-31, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i used the creates to hid alot as an infiltrator. not just for hacking but just picking a guy off here or there. i like adding to the im never safe aspect infiltrators bring. maybe some pillars in some areas or something.

thats my 2
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-31, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

We have a lot of CQC, but it's more heavily tilted towards an "urban" building to building setting than the super tight room-corridor-room type layouts form PS1 for the exact reasons SKYeXile stated. The biolab is a very tight "interior" map, but it's also fairly open with many buildings that you move between and over as well as through - so while the fighting is extremely close range there aren't any long one way paths so the map feels more fluid and rotational than A-to-B-to-C. Like modern military conquest vs. rush maps.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

Thanks for the clarification, higby.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
VoodooJanus
Private

I dunno, seeing the 45 min video, attacking the base as a NC footslogger, it looks like there's a decent amount of close, indoor combat in and around the bases. As they've said- each base is the equivalent of a standard COD map, so there should be some good CQC. I think the only parts of the bases that are particularly open are the actual control rooms, replacing easily defendable corridors with wider, cover-heavy courtyards, so the defense is forced to be fluid rather than 'stand here and shoot at whatever comes.'
Old 2012-06-01, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by VoodooJanus View Post
I dunno, seeing the 45 min video, attacking the base as a NC footslogger, it looks like there's a decent amount of close, indoor combat in and around the bases. As they've said- each base is the equivalent of a standard COD map, so there should be some good CQC. I think the only parts of the bases that are particularly open are the actual control rooms, replacing easily defendable corridors with wider, cover-heavy courtyards, so the defense is forced to be fluid rather than 'stand here and shoot at whatever comes.'
yea but i think people were expecting more indoor, vehicle free combat.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-01, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by VoodooJanus View Post
you all are going to love that outdoor fighting until guys like Sky and the rest of that ilk come along and farm the shit out of you.

a lot of these new guys don't have clue about whats going to happen,if they all play like the zergs all did in PS then there will be much crying on the forums.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

sigh, mad, wtf are you talking about
Old 2012-06-01, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We have a lot of CQC, but it's more heavily tilted towards an "urban" building to building setting than the super tight room-corridor-room type layouts form PS1 for the exact reasons SKYeXile stated. The biolab is a very tight "interior" map, but it's also fairly open with many buildings that you move between and over as well as through - so while the fighting is extremely close range there aren't any long one way paths so the map feels more fluid and rotational than A-to-B-to-C. Like modern military conquest vs. rush maps.
Kinda wish we could get one, just one, base just as cruddily built and hard to navigate as the PS1 bases. With tight corridors that kill you off like a stormtrooper in the first 5 minutes of Star Wars.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
I am not a big air/cav whore and I can see all sorts of ways air is going to farm the hell out of ppl,all those open decks on the tower,the open "design" of the tower,hell pull a couple of libs and just nose gun the interior of the tower,hover up high and use the 150 to shoot ppl running out of the spawn rooms at that tech plant.

these guys are going to show up with a shitload of air in a pack,eliminate every threat to them and then start in on the infantry,they will kill 3/4 times their numbers before they die or bug out to repp up.

wash/rinse/repeat over and over again.

after a while some ppl will get smart,not everyone will stand around and get farmed by air but history has shown us,alot of ppl will stand around and ..............
Old 2012-06-01, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
I AM THE REAVER QUEEN!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion