News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't you make me pull his pin!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-08, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Post The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

We have had lots of different threads popping up on this topic.. Use this thread to talk Playstation 4 - pros, cons and anything in between! List out your thoughts on the game coming to Console.

Edit:

PlayStation 4 FAQ:
http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/PlayStation_4

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-06-17 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

I was about to post "Enough of these threads already".

But now we have one just to talk about it. Whoo.

So... Anyone think the PS4 version will be able to handle the same number of people on a single server as the PC version? I'm somehow doubting it myself.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

I'm going to wait for E3.
Then we'll have news, and we will also be able to judge the inferior console race's reaction to PlanetSide 2. Consumer response is important and thus far, from console-goers, we have very little response from very little exposure. E3 will change that.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
I was about to post "Enough of these threads already".

But now we have one just to talk about it. Whoo.

So... Anyone think the PS4 version will be able to handle the same number of people on a single server as the PC version? I'm somehow doubting it myself.
I really like playing on console platforms. I have all the Nintendo except the cube, PS1-2-3, Xbox 360 and love to collect classic games to them.

But one thing I hate to play on console platforms are FPS games and RTS. I mean these game styles are developed to be played with a mouse and keyboard and using a controller to play them just feels wrong. So I do not think it will be one of big hits to the new PS4... but I really don't care really.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-06-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside 2 so far has been a defacto beta for PS2 on PS4.

Because of all the improvements that have been made PS2 on PS4 is going to be a bigger success than PC with a higher rate of new player retention.

The devs realized this ealry on. PS2 on PS4 is the real product.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I mean these game styles are developed to be played with a mouse and keyboard and using a controller to play them just feels wrong. So I do not think it will be one of big hits to the new PS4... but I really don't care really.
Who says the PS4 won't support mouse/keyboard?
Old 2013-06-08, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Even though I expect PS2 on PS4 to be not as good as the PC version, I do expect it to be successful on the PS4. If nothing else, it's going to be the first really good multiplayer game on the console (At least, first wide world FPS one with no MMORPG stuff). Console gamers ate up COD and Battlefield. They'll eat this up like horses on hay.

Still, I'd much rather stick to what is most likely going to be the superior PS2 on the PC. Even if the PS4 version matches the content, you just can't beat the aim with the mouse. And none of that "Oh, they can add that to PS4" crap. because, let's face it, console gamers are used to gamepads and aren't going to make an effort to get good with a mouse (Not most of them anyway).

As proven below.

PotbelliedLizard: Not for me
I hate pc aiming
taramafor: That's because you move the mouse wrong. You need to move it slow.
PotbelliedLizard: No I dont
taramafor: Then why does your aim suck?
Is moving mouse slow. *Has better aim*
PotbelliedLizard: Mouse doesn't feel right
taramafor: That's because you're not used to it.
If you don't TRY to get used to it, you never will.
got to put in effort to get results.
Just make sure you're not hunched down when using it. That sucks. >_>
PotbelliedLizard: Console sticks feel better
Mouse aiming is just a lot harder, pc ain't the best in everything
taramafor: Then why is a mouse easy for me and why do gamepads give me thumb cramp?
They really need to fix that on gamepads. My poor thimbs.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I want cross-platform compatibility so we can all play on the same servers. I don't want a bifurcate dev team and a bifurcate community on bifurcate servers operating off two incompatible platforms. (We already know the PS4 supports mouse and keyboard; it's a non-issue.)

It would be the best thing in the world to get a big huge shot of fresh reinforcements and see some of those older servers coming back on line. That's what I'm hoping for.

Come on, devs... prove Smed wrong again...
Old 2013-06-08, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
camycamera
Major

PS2 on PS4 in a nutshell:

moar opimisation.

so good.
Old 2013-06-09, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Galron
Staff Sergeant

Pros:

The base game engine gets optimized to be run on a terrible single thread IPC performing jaguar 8 'module' CPU. (they ARE NOT full 8 cores, they are 8 modules, look it up.) Hey, if they can make it run smooth for the Jag, the sub par AMD desktop systems and lower end intels should get a boost too.

most 3d data should be straight up compatible, with perhaps only getting exported in a different data structure/format. So major content gets streamlined to both systems quickly.

If they swing a deal to get it preinstalled on all systems, it would massively broaden the audience of the game. more content and more resources for both.

Cons.

Splits community, even though Id love to hose down those console jockeys, its best if they dont get wiped off the face of auraxis, because they would quit and never spend money unless they sold virtual Kleenex for station cash to wipe up all the thumbstick users tears.

Experience compromised, I dont think they will be able to get the full PC experience into the PS2 form, so i see some compromises, 1080, 30 hz seems the max realistic goal here, with something landing around medium settings.

Overall

I think PS2 is shaping up great as it is now, and I think if we were coming out of beta for PC right now with this content, PS2 would have had a much more successful launch. I think in the next few months the playerbase stabilizes, at least with the game updates coming honestly at a very frantic pace compared to other MMOs. Balances are done not too fast, but the major ones are addressed eventually. New cool features come along and keep us interested.

I still sub, and am looking forward to another triple cash event/ big sale around the 4th of July where I and others will drop some more cash to help the devs.
Old 2013-06-09, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nathaniak
Corporal

I'm hopeful. More players on PS2 should mean greater development resources and greater incentive for SOE to work on the game. PS2 is a bit 'underground' where I am - very few have heard of it - so, hopefully, the PS4onPS4 publicity will drive a few more players to the PC version. Plus, PS4 owners get their hands on this awesome game, so good for them.

If it becomes necessary to introduce features for one platform that the other platform hates, I hope that the devs create seperate builds for PC/PS4. The games don't have to be the same - indeed, if each version is designed around its own playerbase and hardware, then SOE can produce two awesome games in place of 1 good game.
Old 2013-06-09, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Who says the PS4 won't support mouse/keyboard?
It's not a matter of weather or not the PS4 suppots KB&M as it is developers don't design console games for them.
Old 2013-06-09, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Shogun
Contributor
General

galron, there is something wrong in your contra section.

you just refer to splitting the community, but actually the pc part of the community will be drained. everybody who has both, a pc and a ps4, will leave the pc servers and play on the ps4 servers.
for several reasons:
ps4 version will be better optimised and stable
you will be able to choose if you wanna play with controller or m/k
all your console friends can play with you, without having to upgrade anything
and i am kind of sure that this free sony game will be preinstalled or at least prominently advertised, so every ps4 player will at least test the game.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-09, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Just because PS4 supports mouse and keyboards doesnt has to mean it is usable for PS2.

Plenty of PS3 FPS games were just crap with Mouse and Keyboard, as they lacked proper support for this kind of input.

On top of that, the vast vast vast vast vast majority of future PS4 gamers wont use a Mouse and Keyboard for gaming, simply because it doesnt play well on a couch table.
Old 2013-06-09, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
It's not a matter of weather or not the PS4 suppots KB&M as it is developers don't design console games for them.
Ok, but it's still speculation as to whether or not Sony will support keyboard/mouse for PS2 on PS4. No one knows these things yet.

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Just because PS4 supports mouse and keyboards doesnt has to mean it is usable for PS2.

Plenty of PS3 FPS games were just crap with Mouse and Keyboard, as they lacked proper support for this kind of input.

On top of that, the vast vast vast vast vast majority of future PS4 gamers wont use a Mouse and Keyboard for gaming, simply because it doesnt play well on a couch table.
Alright, I guess the PS2 PC version is doomed then. Oh well....

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-09 at 09:08 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion