I think the biggest problem I have with Planetside 2 is map design. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For land. For Power. Tomorrow.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-14, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

I think the biggest problem I have with Planetside 2 is map design.

After like a 12 hour play session today there has been lots of highs and lows, it feels very much like Planetside after the population left. You'll have a massive fight once every few hours but mostly it feels like down time and traveling hoping for your next big fight. Sadly this doesn't happen often enough and I feel like it's down to those small bases in between the big bases. A lot of the time you'll find yourself having to go back and save a point just because there is one person there. These events really spread the population out rather than focusing on the massive base battles we used to have in Planetside like all day and every day back in 2003.

I play TR so I'm not sure what the NC and Vanu are experiencing, however I reckon they're having a vastly different experience as on Indar they only have one front line, where we have two. I'm getting really fed up of seeing the TR being attacked by both NC and Vanu but they by and large leave each other alone. Really this is down to how the map encourages people to just go north and south rather than east and west. We even see this as the TR where all the major paths lead south where you cannot find anything going across.

All I have to say about Esamir is I tried going there once, it was like Silent Hill with all the fog so I have never been back........

Edit: I do have to say the massive TR tank rush earlier was amazing.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2012-10-14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-10-14, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ritual
Banned

Re: I think the biggest problem I have with Planetside 2 is map design.

Well Esamir is supposed to be closer to what they want. I think they even hinted that eventually they would like to redesign Indar to bring it closer to Esamir.

The good news is that any new continents we see, are going to have less and less hex regions/outposts. More closer to Esamir then Indar for sure. Or a happy medium.
Old 2012-10-14, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I have played Esimir for several hours with the fog turned off (which makes it have the same over all feel as Indar, only it actually *looks* cold. Quite the compliment coming from a Canadian, eh) and I prefer the overall design of Indar better, including the plethora of bases. In fact, I think there are some places on Indar that need another base and hex, such as the areas SW and NW of Quartz Ridge (one on the hill and another in the desert).

My only problem with Indar is that capture points at out outposts can be flipped by just one person. This makes them annoying as fuck, as we can all agree. Capturing these points should require a group of three people standing there. Not only does that stop a single player from annoying everyone else, it also makes flipping the points harder when under fire. And it doesn't really take anything away from folks who play 100% alone, because they can still hack all the terminals in the empty outposts and spawn camp anyone who happens to spawn there.

Esimir is nice for what it is, a more vehicle focused island, but I would not like for all maps to be the same as it.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-10-14 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2012-10-15, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

As told numerous times before:
We need a lattice system
We need action adjusted xp gain for base captures
We need to get rid of foodholds and a return of sancs
Old 2012-10-15, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
Well Esamir is supposed to be closer to what they want. I think they even hinted that eventually they would like to redesign Indar to bring it closer to Esamir.

The good news is that any new continents we see, are going to have less and less hex regions/outposts. More closer to Esamir then Indar for sure. Or a happy medium.
I'd prefer closer to the Indar side of things myself...

Esamir would be much better for an "edge Continent", with the North Eastern and South Western Warpgates leading back to a Faction's Sanctuary or Home Continent while the North Western one links to "central Continent" like Indar.

See figure five in this diagram I drew for another thread:

That said, we do need something other then "large homogeneous desert" in orange or blue...
Old 2012-10-15, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
EVILoHOMER
Major

Until they get rid of the fog on Esamir I will not be going there because it just makes it unplayable. The game needs a weather system for that stuff like Planetside when you had those amazing sandstorms.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps58102f11.jpg

If they get the NC and Vanu to attack each other by having major roads that go east and west rather than all north towards the TR then the island will be acceptable. That and fog on Esamir are small fixes, I'm sure they have have tools like what you get in Cry Engine 2/3 where you can just do that in 2 mins.

We still don't have any urban warfare though, it's something we all wanted in Planetside, Core Combat wasn't the answer but the zip lines were fun. I was expecting some ruined cities or something but no nothing......

I'm hoping Amerish will be a more traditional Planetside type map... I'm hoping it'll just be Amerish lol. However at some point I really would like Urban warfare, just as long as they get rid of FF for it lol.
Old 2012-10-15, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I'm currently thinking about choke points. Movement around the map in general is very difficult and time consuming unless you are airborne. The map really is split into 4 sections and it doesn't feel like something internally consistent. However, I wouldn't recommend massive changes until we get to see how it plays when there are only 2 factions on the cont due to intercontinental lattices coming into affect.
Old 2012-10-15, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

I like the fog, its rather enjoyable killing red triangles with a phalanx turret lol
Old 2012-10-15, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
EVILoHOMER
Major

The fog is reduced now The Planet still looks ugly though because there is still fog there and it makes it look like an old game where it's there to help performance.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Qwan
Captain

I like esimir, I just hate that were I spawn in and im surrounded by NC and get mowed down. They going to fix that.
Old 2012-10-15, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Boone
Sergeant

OP

you bitch a lot
Old 2012-10-15, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fazed
Corporal

Since the last reset I have killed around 600 enemies.

Out of these, over 500 are VS.

I don't think that we "leave each other alone" at all.

Also, when NC had the top of the map it felt like that either, now you know how it feels to get attacked at dahaka and mao at the same time while you struggle to hold the crown.

Last edited by Fazed; 2012-10-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 2012-10-15, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
As told numerous times before:
We need a lattice system
We need action adjusted xp gain for base captures
We need to get rid of foodholds and a return of sancs
No, we don't need a lattice system. The hex system works just fine. Most of the people in the recent 12v12 (or was it?) match were talking a long time about the hex system, and how it feels absolutely no different to us than a lattice system. Its just moving one point to another.

You need to wait until they implement lock out timers. Then, and only then will it force big fights and people to move forward.

Action adjusted XP does nothing. An infantry guy holding a point is going to get less XP than a medic running around and healing everyone in the fight, yet, both their jobs were just as important. There is no way to balance it, and its not a good idea at all.

I believe you meant footholds. Footholds, towers, same thing. They just need less of them, not get rid of them. And anyone who played planetside 1 for more than 30 minutes knows that a sanctuary is just same place for outfits to fight with themselves over where to go next while taking 2 hours to load up a galaxy. They don't need it. With the recent changes to experience and how you gain resources, warpgates work perfectly fine.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST

Last edited by FortySe7en; 2012-10-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
AfA lot of the time you'll find yourself having to go back and save a point just because there is one person there.
Possible fix is in order to START capping a point you have to have at least 3 people. But in order to finish capping a point it can be as low as one person(in case people get picked off or something)
Old 2012-10-15, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
You need to wait until they implement lock out timers. Then, and only then will it force big fights and people to move forward.
PlanetSide 1 did not need lock out timers.
Its ridiculous PlanetSide 2 would need it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion