Un-merge the servers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Five dollars to ride the donkey.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-24, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Un-merge the servers

(no flame for this please)
Okay, i played beggining of open Beta, through the summer of release and quit after that. I came back after the server merge and found that all organization was gone other than in select few outfits. I miss the early day of release/beta where "zergs" hardly existed and where only select few got CR5. After the server merge the ammount of cr5's doubled, thus making cr5 no big deal anymore. Does anyone else remember the days where you couldnt get a sqaud without listing all your certs? or where you could nearly nothing solo due to enemy **organized** sqauds responding twice as fast as now? I didnt play during the fall of release so i wouldnt know if it was hard to even find a battle but from the way it seems now, i would rather have that with the organization. I almost never sqaud up with non-outfit mates so if i am not playing with CDL i am soloing, and from my experiences, it is way too affective. More players join every day and emerald is too populated for many peoples tastes. I know the odds of them unmerging the servers is very low with only one person suggesting and i know the odds are only slightly higher with say, 25 posts but if a lot of people. I'm finding Battlefield: vietnam a lot more fun than PS right now due to the unorganization of things, but I will stick with this game through the bad and good.
Old 2004-03-24, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
JakeLogan
Major

/signed
Old 2004-03-24, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

The problem is getting the n00blets who don't understand tactics to stop trying to play the game like it's Quake and think on a more tactical level. Solving problems with idiots is difficult, and really are you're asking for is to dilute the idiots. They will STILL be idiots and you will STILL see the problems, you'll just see it in twice as many places now and strip PS of the one thing that sets it apart from other FPSes, the mammoth battles.

The problem with Konreid and Johari was really that there'd be one good battle going at any given time, and that was usually poplocked so there wasn't that much going on. Sure, the FPS and lag was a hell of a lot better (I used to HATE Emerald at primetime) but at the same time, it was a lot harder to advance and get good action (which is why my Emerald character is BR18 and my Konreid is BR16).

Unmerging the servers isn't the way to go, as you are taking away an important feature of PS, finding more reasons to break up the zerg would be a better alternative as you're still diluting the idiots.

My idea on the topic is that the towers and some other points should be included on the lattice and need to be defended as well. As it stands, you just roll from base to base, and there are too few bases to readily establish front-lines.

I see the system working as follows:

Towers, despite being on the lattice, can be captured at any time still. They account for 1/2 of a hack point and should be linked to at least two bases.

New field objectives (so that not everything worthwhile is indoors...) would be 1/2 of a hack point. There should be two field objectives tied to every base, though like towers these could be shared. Don't know if there should be lattice enforcement (like the bases) or not (like the proposed towers). Thoughts?

That lattice link from a cavern or base is 1 hack point.

The link through a Warpgate counts as 2 hack points (to facilitate invasions).

In short, every base OTHER than capitals would have 2 towers linked to them, at least 2 bases, and 2 "field objectives".

You need 2 hack points to begin hacking a base (simliar mechanism to what the Capitol bases have where you have to have 2 sub-caps before you can hack). These can be from a combination of field objectives, towers, and bases. 1 of each will provide you the ability to hack, or two linked bases, or a linked base and a cavern, or even from 2 towers and the 2 field objectives.

That way you'd have to seize these objectives AND MAINTAIN CONTROL (really evil idea: make the hack timer pause until there are 2 hack points available...) to advance. This in turn breaks up the zerg to a great deal as if they allow towers or field objectives to fall under enemy control their advance will be slowed. Also makes flank attacks and other bits of strategy on the defenders part more viable.

I might post this on the OF to see what the trolls there can come up with. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 2004-03-24, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kikinchikin

Heavy that is exactly what I posted in my farewell post. I agree 100%. I want CR 5 to be special again, I want tactical battles again, I want less lag. But of course this will never happen, as the devs obey the idiots and the idiots want WTF HOOGE B@++13$!!!!!111

Unmerging the servers would certainly make me come back.
Old 2004-03-24, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Glaynor
Sergeant Major

I've been around since Beta as well and the came has collapsed. Why? Because there is no need for tactics. Originally the people who had the game were interested in organized squad battles. But as the bugs and glitches in the game continued to increase many, many left.

What does SOE need to do? Make choke holds that force tactics. Put in either towns or forts that soldiers have to pass through. That will focus the fighting and force some tactics. All the terrain is similar in the game - and you can run everywhere and almost everything. Force organization and the game will become much better
Old 2004-03-24, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

heavy has a point someone start a petition
Old 2004-03-24, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

You'll not get far in PS without tactical play.
Old 2004-03-24, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
dur13l
Private

/sign

way to many people in one place and way too much lag. its no surprise to log in and see 4 conts that are poplocked!!
Old 2004-03-24, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

I doubt they will ever "unmerge" but who knows, there may be a new server at some point.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-03-24, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

i agree with vis. My outfit Phoenix Royal Guard does lots of coordination and we use TS. We're sort of like SG in a sense that we have less people and aren't as coordinated. But you really won't get anywhere with tactics. You can go out and grunt in a zerg and get exp, but your not really helping your empire so much.
Old 2004-03-24, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
JakeLogan
Major

I avoid the zerg as much as possible I prefer to go on Spec ops runs with my outfit at night and if I'm at home during the day I mainly do defense of the conts we have when the enemy starts to attack if the zerg comes there to defend then I run off and take towers by myself. or run solo annoyince(SP?) spec ops. take down gens make people come to the base and bring it back up so on so forth.

EDIT: nothing more fun then pissing off the enemy by bringing down their gens and such.
Old 2004-03-24, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Red October
Second Lieutenant

Hmmmmmm......

How bout an Outfit only server? All outfits from all servers can enter provided some criteria is met. Such as the Outfit must have been active within the last 4 months (eliminates dead outfits & newly formed outfits by people who say "lets F-up the outfit server") and a squad must be currently together, populated with outfit members (eliminates single players from entering and/or could set a required number of people before entrance). Well organized and tactic driven outfits will own rather quickly. Giving the less adequate no choice but to organize better and develop tactics. Higher CR ranks will definately have meaning since it kind of denote's who's in charge....just some random thoughts.
Old 2004-03-24, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
JakeLogan
Major

Originally Posted by Red October
Hmmmmmm......

How bout an Outfit only server? All outfits from all servers can enter provided some criteria is met. Such as the Outfit must have been active within the last 4 months (eliminates dead outfits & newly formed outfits by people who say "lets F-up the outfit server") and a squad must be currently together, populated with outfit members (eliminates single players from entering and/or could set a required number of people before entrance). Well organized and tactic driven outfits will own rather quickly. Giving the less adequate no choice but to organize better and develop tactics. Higher CR ranks will definately have meaning since it kind of denote's who's in charge....just some random thoughts.
thats a pretty good idea there
Old 2004-03-24, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

If the devs unmerged the servers, I wold be pissed. It is just avoiding the main problem. There will always be idiots, splitting them up dosen't help. What we need is for the devs to make it easier for CR5's to lead. Right now is like herding cats. That dosen't make for a fun game enviroment.
Old 2004-03-24, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think things are fine as is now. To me NC markov has always been decently organized though soemtime the CR5's do dumb things instead of being smart, as in if we had a good CR5 people would listen to him.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion