Un-merge the servers - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does this look infected?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-24, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well the thing about being a CR5 is the only thing you can do is talk, I'm a talker and anyone on NC Markov would know it (when Im playing :P )...

However talking isnt the way to lead, you gotta have more indepth command and control system before the real generals shine...

The main problem is that CR5s and CR4s arent given the right tools to decently organize movements, all you can do is hope someone is doing what you can say...

Old 2004-03-24, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I know why you want the zerg to go away, it makes strategic ops less rewarding as they're swallowed up by the mass amounts of people (the large amounts of people also make them more difficult). But when done correctly, against the odds, strategic ops can still turn the tide of battle, even if you won't get much credit for it.

I've said it before, I quite like the zerg. It's what makes planetside different from other games. There are enough people to make it seem like there really is a war going on. And that also, you have your part to play in that war.

Only the devs know if they'll ever split the servers, only they know if the server usage is high enough that if the servers were to split, there'd be enough players to keep that going.
Old 2004-03-24, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I can voutch for the efectiveness of behind the lines stuff, me and Stripmoe totaly shut down the VS's back bases on Amerish the other day, the Nc took only an hour to totaly lock the cont, that was under decent sized zerg on both sides

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-24, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Kinda funny that everyone does "spec ops" now and no one engages in infantry/armor roles anymore.

Equally funny is how you blow a generator and a spawn tube and suddenly you're "spec ops".

Maybe it's not special anymore. It's run of the mill... blah. Try some Ranger tactics.
Old 2004-03-24, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

we do pleanty of up front stuff, mostly lib bombing and flying air support to the zerg, or just being infanty sometimes.

If evey body does specops then Why is ther a zerg? I never see a fight in wich al that is happening is gen busting and specops type stuff. Why is that? becasue you don't gain anything but an advantage when you do stuff like that the vechs and infantry still have to move in and take the base.

Gen blowing isn't all of it you know. I consider Flail hunting, ams hunting, Mod stealing, Mod getting, capping towers behind the lines and De-generatoring all Special Operations tyep stuff. Why is that? Normal operations is attackign the enemy head on(i would not count degennign a sieged base as specops stuff). Sabatoge, and things like that are not normal hence 'special'.

What would you call it?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-24, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

My vehicle of choice (Enforcer) makes Spec Ops hard to do hehe...

Still wish it had a coaxial 20mm or something for the gunner...

Old 2004-03-25, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
noodles
Private

maybe to help cr5's enforce things they should be given an option to lock weapons for a minute or dramatically slow their respawn counter or something in that general area instead of just kicking them out of the squad. some sort of minor punishment to help motivate....
...or maybe i'm just talking outta my ass.
Old 2004-03-25, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

I dunno. I miss the days where there would 3 sqauds working together against a tank all at once and one would rush, the other two would flank and it was followed by a big BANG. It would fic the n00bs because they would run into a battle right away so they would be forced to look for a sqaud causing them to obey or to get kicked. If they did this, i would play twice as much as this recent week. Not to bring BF:V into the mix but the game is brand new and twice as good as planetside due to the way it plays, the organization, and the fact that almost everything is even other than the damn m60. planetside still is my second favorite but theres not much time for two. If i dont see some uber l33t kick@$$ changes in the next few weeks, my account is as good as sold.
Old 2004-03-25, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma
I doubt they will ever "unmerge" but who knows, there may be a new server at some point.
A new server, with everyone at BR1. That would be a riot.
Old 2004-03-25, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
keam02
Corporal

for the one who said you wont get far without tactical play...I knew a guy who was br17 cr3. All he did when he got on was - /o lfs squad pls - (not asking, demanding) then - /s where are you? - then hed go there, follow the waypts and not say another word the whole time. As a squad leader, the only words hed say were - /s new wps up -

so you dont have to have tactics, you just have to play alot, and thats the problem with most people/outfits/sqauds.
Old 2004-03-25, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree with Sobekeus on the idea at hand. The CR4's (me) and CR5's still just need MORE of a way to convey orders to the zerg.

About spec ops... How do you think this server merge has effected spec ops? The spec ops in Planetside were meant to be done FAR behind the lines with an Infiltrator squad or a squad or more of regular infantry. My outfit does this all the time and the only people that ever respond are the Reavers and Mossie guys. It's simply fun to just wait and get the suprie on them and kill em. This has not hurt spec ops, just made it more challenging.

Old 2004-03-26, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by keam02
for the one who said you wont get far without tactical play...I knew a guy who was br17 cr3. All he did when he got on was - /o lfs squad pls - (not asking, demanding) then - /s where are you? - then hed go there, follow the waypts and not say another word the whole time. As a squad leader, the only words hed say were - /s new wps up -

so you dont have to have tactics, you just have to play alot, and thats the problem with most people/outfits/sqauds.
If you measure success by rank, then tactics aren't necessary. If you are measuring success by really making a difference on the continental and/or global scale, then tactics are necessary.
Old 2004-03-28, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
scarpas
Captain

i dont really worry about a lack of strategy or tactics as im in TRG, the most coordinated outfit on tr markov, and tr markov has some really good cr5s.
Old 2004-03-28, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kyonye
Contributor
General

my clan isn't even big enough to be a zerg...but thats ok because all we like to do is run spec ops mission considering we haven't failed in a spec ops yet. besides, spec ops are alot more fun then zergs...

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2004-03-28, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

Playing solo will accomplish nothing more than make mass BEPs. You will not be able to hack and hold a base solo unless it's somewhere with 0 population. Zergs are sadly a major part of the game. They require no strategy. Simply masses of people. However this is a valid tactic. The way PS is designed favors numbers. There are no ways you can set up ambushes or gain an advantage over an enemy with twice the people you have. Unmerging the servers would take the number of people participating, and divide it in half. That way 2 smaller zergs sweep across continents on 2 different servers rather than one massive zerg on one server. A team of 10 highly coordinated squad members will be defeated by 20 mindless zerglings. It's simply the way planetside is designed. Everyone who has played it has realized this and compete with the other empire to see who can muster up the most people in a battle, hence, zergs are formed. So if the defenders have 50 people defending a base, the attackers send 70. If the defenders increase their numbers to 60, the attackers increase theirs to 80. It's an endless loop until the base is taken. Why use your brain and think up a plan to surgically strike a defended base when you can just take twice the people the defenders have and throw them at the base?

In short. Planetside favors numbers, not strategy. Thus zergs will always be the deciding factor of battles until there's a way for 10-20 people to hold off a zerg of 50-60 people. When I say that, the first thing everyone thinks is "Yeah right, 10-20 people hold of 50-60? Not gonna happen." That's exactly what I mean. It probably won't ever happen. Strategy is dead, accept the zerg.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion