Un-merge the servers - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Able to ride a tricycle
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-28, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
TheN00b
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kaikou
Playing solo will accomplish nothing more than make mass BEPs. You will not be able to hack and hold a base solo unless it's somewhere with 0 population. Zergs are sadly a major part of the game. They require no strategy. Simply masses of people. However this is a valid tactic. The way PS is designed favors numbers. There are no ways you can set up ambushes or gain an advantage over an enemy with twice the people you have. Unmerging the servers would take the number of people participating, and divide it in half. That way 2 smaller zergs sweep across continents on 2 different servers rather than one massive zerg on one server. A team of 10 highly coordinated squad members will be defeated by 20 mindless zerglings. It's simply the way planetside is designed. Everyone who has played it has realized this and compete with the other empire to see who can muster up the most people in a battle, hence, zergs are formed. So if the defenders have 50 people defending a base, the attackers send 70. If the defenders increase their numbers to 60, the attackers increase theirs to 80. It's an endless loop until the base is taken. Why use your brain and think up a plan to surgically strike a defended base when you can just take twice the people the defenders have and throw them at the base?

In short. Planetside favors numbers, not strategy. Thus zergs will always be the deciding factor of battles until there's a way for 10-20 people to hold off a zerg of 50-60 people. When I say that, the first thing everyone thinks is "Yeah right, 10-20 people hold of 50-60? Not gonna happen." That's exactly what I mean. It probably won't ever happen. Strategy is dead, accept the zerg.
I do not agree. While I do admit that numbers are very important, I testify that a highly organized and skilled force can hold off and destroy a force twice it's size. However, if you wish to do this, you become more limited in tactical options. For example, simply bum-rushing the enemy is no longer possible: They have twice your numbers and will blow you away with ease, no matter how individualistic, unorganized, and n00bish they are. However, against this kind of force, Sniping and hit-and-run vehicle attacks suddenly become very important. The way I look at it, two times the numbers equals two times the BEP for me .
Old 2004-03-28, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

True a squad of 10 could hold off a squad of 20...for a time. However if both forces keep at it (say the 20 guys have a tower, and the 10 are defending the tower's nearby base) then the larger force will always win. You can use some hit and run tactics, but they just respawn 20 seconds later. Though no one would want it, increasing the spawn timer would probably *help* not solve, the fact that the larger force always wins.
Old 2004-03-29, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Maybe limit how many times you can respawn each time you go to a continent?

Would give adv meds more purpose and would help reduce the Rambos...

So say maybe 10 respawns before you have to respawn at sanc...

Old 2004-03-29, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
flypengy
Master Sergeant

why not just further reduce the poplock from 150 to like 75 or so?
Old 2004-03-29, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

War is about numbers.
Old 2004-03-29, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by flypengy
The pop-locks are fine as is right now.

Old 2004-03-29, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

The repawn thing sounds good, but something is just off about it.
Old 2004-03-29, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by flypengy
Cyssor would become the least wanted continent at that point. It is already hard to hold against 1 enemy force, let alone both coming in. Half the number of defenders and you wouldn't have the man power to even try and spread out and resecure bases, towers, and gens.
Old 2004-03-29, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Heavygain
The repawn thing sounds good, but something is just off about it.
Probably that there is no game engineered reason?

I figure that some cloning excuses would be a good way to do it, you get a certain amount of charges before you arent performing well enough for the empire to keep you in that location...

And maybe you go to the HART building and access a terminal for it...hehe...

Old 2004-03-29, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Whilst it would definatly encourage more players to cert in advanced medic, the zerg would roll over bases more easily since they have more bodies and hence more respawns.
Old 2004-03-29, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Maybe, one thing about zergs is there is a lot of dying goin on...

Old 2004-03-30, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
flypengy
Master Sergeant

This game is about zerging. Rarely is there ever a "Large enemy force" fight. It always quickly elevates into a massive, and some people don't like to play like that. If there was a server with smaller pops on the continents so that every battle wasn't such a cluster fuck, I would happily delete my characters to play on that one.
Old 2004-03-30, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I don't think it's about zerging, but it definatly helps to have the most numbers (in all games).
Old 2004-03-30, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Lartnev
I don't think it's about zerging, but it definatly helps to have the most numbers (in all games).
I totally agree with you Lartnev. PS isn't ALL about zerging, it just happens that way most of the time. If you have the most numbers, yes, you DO have an advantage and most likely will win.

I like the Massive battles sometimes but other times I just want to go and fight about 20 other guys which I think is a large. I don't know what should be done. I think right now there is room for one empire to have 2 massive forces on each continent.

Old 2004-03-30, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the idea of having to replenish your respawns by having to get to sanc and access a term. That way you only have to kill a guy so many times until he figures out that he needs a sqaud/advanced medic.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion