Gameplay: Facility radar and masking aircraft - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are too sober to enter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-03, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CannonballGB
Private

Facility radar and masking aircraft

This kind of just popped in my head. I think it would be cool if facilities or towers had some sort of radar capability for larger aircraft like Gals. This would mean it would be more beneficial to fly closer to the ground using the terrain to mask your radar signature. I think it would make flying aircraft like Gals much more enjoyable and would add another tactical aspect to the game.

I'm currently in flight school for the Army and pretty much the primary reason helicopters fly so low to the ground is to be masked from visual and electronic means. In PS1 I found myself flying Gals at max altitude and airspeed 95% of the time which got pretty boring. Introducing radar would provide a cool new challenge to Gal pilots and would make air assaults a lot more exciting.
Old 2011-08-04, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Re: Facility radar and masking aircraft

I think this, combined with a minimum height for safe gal drops would be a cool idea

i.e. enough height for parachute-thing to open safely
Old 2011-08-10, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Sounds good to have minimum alt for gal drops and radar to force people lower. One thing to add to that is the zip line concept to vehicles that can hover. That way you can fly in low, drop a team, and fly off in one peace without radar ever seeing you.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

I wonder how feasible this would be. Real radar is only height restricted due to terrain, seems like it could get complicated with varying terrain across a continent. You would have to have set points from which the radar signal was broadcast from so as to calculate what it could see. So if it came from each base and went out only a set distance, then you could figure it out and prob even do it in a way that wasnt too complicated. But you would also have to leave in the deadzones between the bases which doesnt seem like an issue really. It would mean no radar in those areas you fight in that arent bases (which will happen alot with the new system) which could be interesting and could also allow for mobile radar platforms to become more useful.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault