The Jackhammer - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't eat the yellow snow. Please.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-16, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
JakeLogan
Major

Well I don't know about jackhammer (All I do know is that it kills alot of people very fast) or the lasher ( I don't see enough VS to really have an opinoin) but the mini chain gun sucks all it is is a cycler with 2 clips and a little faster rate of fire and a bigger COF (and don't tell me to use it in bursts because it is a chain gun which is meant to be held down and let loose) and that is about it. The Mini chain gun is a waste of 4 cert points only thing it does is look cool. IMO what needs to happen is lower the MCGs COF.

Last edited by JakeLogan; 2003-06-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2003-06-16, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

I would be pretty happy if the lasher energy balls actually went the same speed as a thrown grenade--

Does it seem silly that balls of energy move slower than a thrown object? Maybe its just me.
Old 2003-06-16, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Skitz
Private

Originally posted by Jarlo
It is a great weapon, they shouldn't change it. Decrease the CoF on mini chaingun and increase dmg/speed on lasher.
Yes! He hit it right on the money! I have used all 3 weapons (I don't use any of them anymore, infiltration is much more fun ), and that would be the ideal fix.
Old 2003-06-16, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by powdahound
I always get OWNED by lashers. :\
same here

Old 2003-06-16, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, My thoughts...

Its off, if you think that they are all that, pick on up and USE it for a bit, try to run up to a tower of base with heavy fighting, see if you get anywhere close to kill range

Also, The hammer costs 4 certs, thus it should be able to take ANY other non 4 cert weapon out 1-1, think about it

Now, the hammer is USLESS past a few feet away from your target, leading most of those who use it to get surge
but, if you have surge, you dont have health regen, zoom, shield, etc etc, you can jsut get in range faster

If you are shooting a guy with a hammer as he run up to you, he will be dead or almost dead by the time he reaches you.

The hammer is GREAT for the turn corner and run into someone situation that you can get in bases, but do you know how many times I have died running in the open parts of the base (near downstares cc, etc), or outside getting to the base?

A pistol can take a hammer out at a distance, ive seen it done

IMO, the Chain gun needs a slightly smaller cof, and the lasher needs to be able to "lash" with more dmg

The hammer is fine the way it is *unlike how it was in beta that was sad*
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-06-16, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Cyber
Corporal

[quote]Also, The hammer costs 4 certs, thus it should be able to take ANY other non 4 cert weapon out 1-1, think about it [/qupte]

No. Devs have stated time and time again that they didn't want to make winning or losing dependent on levels. Which means just cause you spent 4 (or 6 depending on how you look at it) on your weapon doesn't mean your supposed to get a license to be able to completely own every other 'less costly' weapon.

Should it be more effective yes. Should it make it so that it's near pointless to even think about fighting with any other weapon in close quarters? No.

And don't give me this "it's hard to get in range" crap. I've used the sweeper and the jackhammer. Getting into it's effective range is a trivial task with Surge.
Old 2003-06-16, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Yogi
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Led
Funny that no one ever bitched about it in beta...
It sucked for 95% of beta, that's why.

[ Inquisition - Team Captain | Tribalwar PHP Guru | F*ck Duke ]
Old 2003-06-16, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

It's kinda funny though when you are in a fight and see more vanu using jackhammers than lashers. An outfitmate of mine uses jackhammers almost exclusively and gets tells from NC bitching at him for not using his own empire's weapons.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-06-16, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
SpacemanSpiff
First Sergeant

Originally, I thought I could actually contribute to this particular thread, but I feel that Cyber has pretty much covered all of my concerns and experiences. Surge + Jackhammer = a situation that distance does not hinder. Ultimately, the base caps are determined by in-close quarters. This is how the outcome of battles end. Therefore, it can be argued that weapons that are designed for extreme proficiency for in-close quarters is a weapon that has an advantage over all others. The evolution of Planetside is sometimes more fascinating than the game itself.
Old 2003-06-16, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

The NC have great distance (gauss and pheonix) and awsome short range weapons (jackhammer)... so a reinforced grunt can use both and not have the limitations that other empires do of having to try to fight from a certain distance.

But as we all know...it's short range that wins or loses battles, fortunately almost every NC carries a Jackhammer so they are not hard to loot after every battle.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-06-16, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ducimus
Sergeant

All this arguing, and ill bet my bottom dollar, if the Jackhammer was a TR or VS weapon (or even common pool), all the NC who so adamatly defend it would be saying its overpowered like just about everyone else who has to deal with the buisness end of it.
Old 2003-06-16, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ColdbringeR
Corporal

People seem to be ignoring the fact that the Jackhammer requires four certification points to use. If they brought it down to three, then by all means, nerf away. As it is now though, you get what you pay for. I often feel that the reaver is overpowered, but when i think about whet they have to pay to use it, my opinion changes.

I've seen people try to complain that distance is no issue with the jackhammer, when you use surge. I'd like to counter this argument with saying that if you use surge against someone with a jackhammer, it is quite hard for them to hit you, due to the slowish rate of fire. Whether you're merely using surge to keep your distance, or to circle around them. Surge helps both sides greatly, making this argument quite pointless.

I've also seen people claim that they cannot turn around fast enough to counter it. If the person using the jackhammer is close enough to you to kill you before you can turn around, then you'd probably be dead anyway with any of the other heavy weapons. Chaingun unloading into your back? Yeah, i'm sure you'd be able to turn around just in time to see the gleam in your attacker's eyes as he saws you in half.

Distance is still (and always will be) a major issue with the jackhammer. Most people don't realize how many enemies carrying jackhammers they've probably killed from a distance. Jackhammer vs. Sniper anyone?

I do have an idea that would make all three of these heavy weapons more balanced though. I think the running speed of someone carrying a heavy weapon should be decreased slightly. Even when it's not equipped. This would make all of these weapons a bit more stationary, and it would help prevent some of the the annoying cases of people carrying any of these weapons just surging around and raping everyone.
Old 2003-06-16, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ColdbringeR
Corporal

Originally posted by Ducimus
All this arguing, and ill bet my bottom dollar, if the Jackhammer was a TR or VS weapon (or even common pool), all the NC who so adamatly defend it would be saying its overpowered like just about everyone else who has to deal with the buisness end of it.
And i have fought against jackhammers tons of times as well. I was playing as BR6 Vanu (the empire that won yesterday ) on Markov with a freakin' Punisher and some grenades yesterday against NC, and this is how it almost always went...

Me vs Jackhammer at 20+ yards away = Me most likely winning.
Me vs Jackhammer at close range = Me definitely losing.

And i've played against Terran and Vanu enough to add these...

Me vs Chaingun at 20-50 yards away = Me most likely losing.
Me vs Chaingun at close range = Me almost definitely losing.

(assuming it's not some idiot who can't time his projectiles right)
Me vs Lasher at 20-50 yards away = Me most likely losing.
Me vs Lasher at close range = Me most likely losing.

If anything, my worst odds overall were against the chaingun. I don't complain though, because i can do other stuff that they can't, due to four cert points i saved by not buying those weapons.

(56 of those kills are NC)

Last edited by ColdbringeR; 2003-06-16 at 05:32 PM.
Old 2003-06-16, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Tryndamere
Sergeant

Close in fights are not the only thing that determines who captures a base. That is way oversimplified.

The easiest way to capture a base is to secure respawn points for your side, while denying the enemy theirs.

That's it. Take the local towers, hunt down their AMS's, destroy their generator/spawn tubes, etc.

There are a thousand ways to achieve said objectives. If the side with more Jackhammers always won, the NC would claim victory every time, and this simply doesn't happen.

Stop whining people~
Old 2003-06-16, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Myrnyyk
Private

Jackhammer doesn't need a nerf. If you nerf it, NC are pretty much worthless inside. One empire already has that problem, why create another one?

Inside battles aren't the only aspect of this game, but they are a very, very important part of it. Once enemy soldiers can spawn in a hacked facility (which I am for), it will become even more important.
And now the newbie is j00.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion