Systems: E-Sport - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, I thought you were banned!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 2.11 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-02, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
GuyShep
Private
 
Re: E-Sport



It can't work.
GuyShep is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General
 
NewSith's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by GuyShep View Post

It can't work.
Not if you don't cut the edges, yes.
NewSith is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Dagron
Captain
 
Dagron's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Why should we have to offer any solution to e-sports when it's a feature we don't even want?
We shouldn't stay away from issues that create features we don't want to affect us.

It's a good idea to suggest compromises so they know what we're willing to accept, if we suggest nothing they will do whatever. Higby said there will be e-sports in PS2, so if we don't suggest something it might end up being done in a way we may not like.


Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
If you say no to something, because, well, no, isn't that a sign of ignorance? I'll go as to far as to explain that "I don't want to share ground with e-sport" argument is also not an explanation, but just rewording of that very "no".
Actually, the only guy who said just no was the picture guy. Most of us here (both e-sports and regular players) said "no because that'd mess up our gameplay", you just don't seem to want to accept our reason.

It's not hard to see why mixing e-sports players and regular players would interfere with both of their play styles.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-02 at 11:51 AM.
Dagron is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
super pretendo
First Sergeant
 
Re: E-Sport


stop
stop
stop
stop
theres 100 esport shooters out there. Planetside does not need to be made into a clone of them. The FPS genre needs something different, not the same, so planetside is doing that.

If you like esports, great. But don't go screaming your head off on a dwarf fortress board about how everything needs to somehow be an esport. Some things are unique in their own way and are good because they are different from everything out there.
super pretendo is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
BillyBob
Corporal
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I already answered all your questions, except for one.

If you say no to something, because, well, no, isn't that a sign of ignorance? I'll go as to far as to explain that "I don't want to share ground with e-sport" argument is also not an explanation, but just rewording of that very "no".
Your original suggestions (as I read and understood them), involved altering core mechanics (friendly fire) of the game and allowing for players with separate e-sport agendas/objectives to run around and do this amongst others not wanting to take any part in this.

If there's any ignorance of any kind going on here...it would be the inability to see how this would force the effects of e-sports onto those who don't want it. This alone is clearly more than reason enough to say "no".

Also, if my suggestion to completely isolate e-sports from regular play by either dedicated servers or separate instances does not please you, then I suggest you come up with a better option yourself which does not affect non-e-sport players in any way before you complain about others being "ignorant" and "naysayers".

Now, are you going to come up with something constructive, or will you just keep going on about how others are so negative because they can't come up with what you consider to be a satisfactory and good enough solution to your problem?

/BB
BillyBob is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant
 
The Degenatron's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


I have a better idea:

The problem with E-sporting Planetside is in the instancing. You can't shoe-horn that into the open-world sandbox.

However, there is an analogy within Planetside already: Core Combat

<groans from the crowd>

Hold on a second before you pass judgement - this is similar, but different.

First, there wouldn't be any caves. This would be something else. More on the arenas in a second.

Second, these would not be "always open" like the caves were. You'd have to "sign up" when it became availible and once you lost you'd be out. More in a second.

The inspiration comes from Global Agenda. Global Agenda (GA), for anyone who doesn't know, is a fully instanced FPS "MMO" with match making. The proposal takes the best from their system and merges it with the best from Planetside 2. Here's how it works:

Along with the continents you have 3 "Special Installations" that are completely separate from the continents. These could be something along the lines of what's seen in Glabal Agenda:





Or something completely different - for example an orbiting space station. The main thing is that they'd be much larger that the Global Agenda arenas and they'd be cut off from the main continents. They'd support up to 600 players - 200 per empire.

Like Global Adenda, they'd be timed to open on a regular basis. There would be a timer and an all-call in the warpgate footholds. Players would have a very limited amount of time to join in the match, and matches wouldn't happen but only a few times a day - maybe 4 times - once every 6 hours.

Players would board a transport, much like a Hart and they would travel to these arenas. All three empires would arrive at once, and once the players were deposited, the transport would debark.

Now it's a fight to the end for domination. Each empires must force the other two off by capturing their "home flags". The last empire standing wins.

What they win is a huge resource boost. Each of the three arenas would boost the one of the three resources and if an orbital platform is added, it could grant increased pod-drop access.

Once the special arena is won, a transport arrives and the players are put back at the warpgates they came from.

The lore is easy to fill in around this system - the facilities have a limited power source that must be replenished since they are not on the global grid. The facilities must be secured before they can be powered. Powering them locks them from being accessed. When the power runs out, they are once again open for attack.

This gives E-Sport enthusists the controlled arena battles they are looking for and ties in nicely with the rest of the game without disrupting it. If you don't want to participate, then you don't have to.
The Degenatron is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
super pretendo
First Sergeant
 
Re: E-Sport


What thell is wrong with just playing another game? Not every single game needs to be the same
super pretendo is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant
 
The Degenatron's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
What thell is wrong with just playing another game? Not every single game needs to be the same
What's wrong with trying to draw in the largest crowd possible?

The more play options, the more players, the more possible revenue.

It's good for the game as a whole, and like I said, if you don't want to participate then you don't have to.
The Degenatron is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant
 
OutlawDr's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


An "arena" that can support 600 players is just another continent really. Not exactly e-sports material. Most e-sports have teams of 1-12 players. Anything above that and it gets hard maintaining skill and member consistency within the team ..and having enough teams that can fill those numbers. It can be done with more than 12, but its not ideal for esports imo. That falls more in line with ammeter competition, which large scale of PS2 lends itself to. Plus smaller numbers is easier to spectate, and easier for the viewer to follow what the hell is going on. Ohh yea, a game without a spectating audience is not an esport. Also let me add that esports are between 2 teams... having 3 teams in one match is just lame from a strictly competitive point of view. Do we even want professional esports? Ammeter and semi-professional good enough?

I think small scale instancing is the only viable way to have esport within planetsdie, but can you really call it planetside anymore? I think it will simply detract from the main game and steal too much of SoE's time and effort. I want full servers and full continents. I dont want empty continents because everyone is in some instance practicing for a SOE sponsored weekend tournament.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-07-02 at 04:24 PM.
OutlawDr is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Espion
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: E-Sport


eSports implies sponsorships and tournaments. Anything larger than a 7man team (which is stretching it) is pretty much completely ignored by sponsors and therefore pretty much all mid-high tier tournament/lans. No amount of theorycrafting or clever ideas will change that, the industry simply doesn't support a game like PS atm.


With interesting enough spectator features though, the game could be fun to watch, and that's really all the have to run with right now. Although according to higby they basically already think this way and are planning to use that to push the game into the scene as best they can, so it'll be interesting.
Espion is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant
 
The Degenatron's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by OutlawDr View Post
An "arena" that can support 600 players is just another continent really. Not exactly e-sports material. Most e-sports have teams of 1-12 players. Anything above that and it gets hard maintaining skill and member consistency within the team ..and having enough teams that can fill those numbers. It can be done with more than 12, but its not ideal for esports imo. That falls more in line with ammeter competition, which large scale of PS2 lends itself to. Plus smaller numbers is easier to spectate, and easier for the viewer to follow what the hell is going on. Ohh yea, a game without a spectating audience is not an esport. Also let me add that esports are between 2 teams... having 3 teams in one match is just lame from a strictly competitive point of view. Do we even want professional esports? Ammeter and semi-professional good enough?

I think small scale instancing is the only viable way to have esport within planetsdie, but can you really call it planetside anymore? I think it will simply detract from the main game and steal too much of SoE's time and effort. I want full servers and full continents. I dont want empty continents because everyone is in some instance practicing for a SOE sponsored weekend tournament.
One to twelve players? Geez forget it then. What a waste of Forgelight that would be.

Spectating a 600 player 3-way battle is something I'd certainly be intrested in. Especially if spectators got a independant floating cameras they could position themselves and not just a "follow cam".

Two hundred players might be a stretch for some Outfits, but not others. Co-ordinating and getting your Outfit all into the same battle would be a trick.

I get that fact that I wasn't thinking about E-Sports by your definition, but at the same time, things change. Frankly, I can see people betting on a facility fight like I'm talking about.

And if 600 players leaving every couple of hours "empties the servers", then SOE has got bigger problems than promoting E-sports.

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
eSports implies sponsorships and tournaments. Anything larger than a 7man team (which is stretching it) is pretty much completely ignored by sponsors and therefore pretty much all mid-high tier tournament/lans. No amount of theorycrafting or clever ideas will change that, the industry simply doesn't support a game like PS atm.


With interesting enough spectator features though, the game could be fun to watch, and that's really all the have to run with right now. Although according to higby they basically already think this way and are planning to use that to push the game into the scene as best they can, so it'll be interesting.
I agree that PS falls outside the norm of E-Sports and my idea does little to get it any closer.

I certainly wouldn't want it parcelled out to little-bitty 14 player matches. What a joke that would be compared to what Forgelight an do.
The Degenatron is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hessy17
Private
 
Re: E-Sport


Why not just have something similar to outfit wars? Have them pay a fee or something for outfits serious about it. Have a ladder or ranking system and just make a separate system for it. Nobody would be forced to do it and it would fit in with what Higby wanted with outfit braging rights and other crap.
Hessy17 is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Zalmoxis
Sergeant
 
Zalmoxis's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Even though I don't personally enjoy ESports, I would love to see PS2 being competitive on this level. Why?

For one, as long as it wouldn't interfere with the general population gameplay and the matches are not hosted on the public server, it wouldn't hurt anybody. The people who enjoy ESports can be happy, and PS2 could get much deserved publicity.

It's an option where nobody loses. Frankly, anybody arguing otherwise here should take a step back and reconsider.
Zalmoxis is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant
 
OutlawDr's Avatar
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
One to twelve players? Geez forget it then. What a waste of Forgelight that would be.

Spectating a 600 player 3-way battle is something I'd certainly be intrested in. Especially if spectators got a independant floating cameras they could position themselves and not just a "follow cam".

Two hundred players might be a stretch for some Outfits, but not others. Co-ordinating and getting your Outfit all into the same battle would be a trick.

I get that fact that I wasn't thinking about E-Sports by your definition, but at the same time, things change. Frankly, I can see people betting on a facility fight like I'm talking about.
Basically what you want are spectating options. 600 players I think you'll run into situations where there are many times players than spectators. Plus like I said, with 600 players you basically just created a mini continent.
Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
And if 600 players leaving every couple of hours "empties the servers", then SOE has got bigger problems than promoting E-sports.
Wait.... Are you suggesting only having a single 600 player instance for the entire game? That would be a cluster if it is. How do you determine who gets in?

Originally Posted by Zalmoxis View Post
Even though I don't personally enjoy ESports, I would love to see PS2 being competitive on this level. Why?

For one, as long as it wouldn't interfere with the general population gameplay and the matches are not hosted on the public server, it wouldn't hurt anybody. The people who enjoy ESports can be happy, and PS2 could get much deserved publicity.

It's an option where nobody loses. Frankly, anybody arguing otherwise here should take a step back and reconsider.
Sure I agree. It sounds wonderful, but the devil is in the details.
OutlawDr is offline  
Old 2012-07-02, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
super pretendo
First Sergeant
 
Re: E-Sport


Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
What's wrong with trying to draw in the largest crowd possible?

The more play options, the more players, the more possible revenue.

It's good for the game as a whole, and like I said, if you don't want to participate then you don't have to.
What's wrong with it is it just homogenizes the game into the grey blob of every other online shooter. We don't need that. The game should be kept as its niche vision. Niches make money. There is no MMOFPS besides planetside currently, and a lot of players want it. There are 100+ SUPER ESPORTS MOUNTAIN DEW(TM) COOL FROSTED SPIKE HAIR DUBSTEP420 shooters. So your attempt to veil your desire turn this into another copy-pasted gunshootin' game is betrayed by your goofy fucking business advice.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Not if you don't cut the edges, yes.
Maybe you want a very cut-back and watered-down planetside, but I do not. The other players anxiously awaiting PS2 do not either. If you want a game that sacrifices its "corners", that is, interesting and unique gameplay, you are in luck! The entire modern FPS industry caters to players like you.

Last edited by super pretendo; 2012-07-02 at 07:55 PM.
super pretendo is offline  
 
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.