Spitfires - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: LOST: Puppy, goes by the name of "Hamma", reward if found
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-10-09, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Crator
Major General
 
Crator's Avatar
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
Well among the players I played with not even one could come close to stomaching the idea of alien invasions. Kill ai mobs. Been there done that as you like to say.

Id be fine with remotely controlled turrets. You know the kind that a player actually controls. But I wouldn't call tossing down your kill bot and walking away player controlled. I remember seeing kills pop up in ps1 from turrets I had entirely forgotten about (granted they only killed idiots but that's the primary target for automated turrets everywhere).
Gotta watch out for those shadow turrets. You know, the ones that cloaked?

I wouldn't be opposed to remote controlled turrets. Cool for recon/scouting when fortifying a base. Many more cool toys like that would be awesome! Along with equipment used to detect and disarm whatever can be placed.
Crator is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Raka Maru
Major
 
Raka Maru's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Gotta watch out for those shadow turrets. You know, the ones that cloaked?

I wouldn't be opposed to remote controlled turrets. Cool for recon/scouting when fortifying a base. Many more cool toys like that would be awesome! Along with equipment used to detect and disarm whatever can be placed.
Remember that advanced hackers can easily turn your turret defense against you.
Raka Maru is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raka Maru
Major
 
Raka Maru's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
I think the combat as it stands now is anything but twitch face to face action. Sure you can get by on that to some degree but you can secure a victory far more reliably from simply positioning yourself properly and advancing at a disciplined pace.
A complex combo of mines, boomers, jammers, turrets can really churn your grey matter. Doesn't matter if you are laying them down or trying to get past them without dying.

Twitch does work for some people, but I was saying that PS2 shouldn't be just about carrying a weapon and moving forward carefully.
Raka Maru is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Boomhowser
Corporal
 
Boomhowser's Avatar
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
Well given the fact that the game is advertised as a 1st person shooter and not some kind of tower defense game I think its safe to say that most of the people drawn to the game are present primarily because they enjoy shooting people.
To right I love shooting people.. Just as I love laying traps and outwitting my enemies because they lack situational awareness to avoid my cunning layouts..

Heres the real point if you claim to love shooting people then why are you ghost hacking that remote facility that ive layed spits at to delay and slow players opting to ghosthack?
Boomhowser is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
theknits
Private
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
A complex combo of mines, boomers, jammers, turrets can really churn your grey matter.
I churn plenty of gray matter with bullets from my gun.

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Twitch does work for some people, but I was saying that PS2 shouldn't be just about carrying a weapon and moving forward carefully.
I fully agree that it shouldn't be solely about walking around with your gun and luckily the game already has a lot more to it than that. Adding other stuff to simply have more is unsatisfactory.

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
To right I love shooting people.. Just as I love laying traps and outwitting my enemies because they lack situational awareness to avoid my cunning layouts..
That's just it even the most brilliantly placed turret isn't going to really outwit anyone. Sure it may kill a few people here and there but that's more in part to their blunders rather than anything special or tricky about where the turret is. Now I am aware that not everything is about killing people. The turret also slows down an enemy push. I'm just saying it doesn't slow them down for the right reasons.

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
Heres the real point if you claim to love shooting people then why are you ghost hacking that remote facility that ive layed spits at to delay and slow players opting to ghosthack?
It's not much of a ghosthack if your present to defend it and if you mean you have just left the turrets by themselves odds are they wont be slowing down anyone for more than a moment.
theknits is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Buggsy
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
As it stands now ps2 has no pets. Yet you say its somehow more like wow because they adjusted the way the pets in wow work? Sounds more like 1 game has pets and 1 game doesn't. Adding pets only makes it more like wow.
No, nerfing pets makes it more like WOW. Getting rid of pets entirely is mega-WOW'ish. Why do you like WOW?

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-10-09 at 04:14 PM.
Buggsy is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Buggsy
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Why would they be opposed to spits it's basically a mine with range.
No clue, maybe they don't like being shot at by an immobile gun that does very little damage and has a very short range. Maybe a challenge like that is too much for them to handle.
Buggsy is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Raka Maru
Major
 
Raka Maru's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
No clue, maybe they don't like being shot at by an immobile gun that does very little damage and has a very short range. Maybe a challenge like that is too much for them to handle.
I had to LOL.
Raka Maru is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
theknits
Private
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
No, nerfing pets makes it more like WOW. Getting rid of pets entirely is mega-WOW'ish. Why do you like WOW?
Clearly changing the pet status of a game from no pets to having pets makes it more similar to a game that has pets. I shouldn't even need to explain that.

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
No clue, maybe they don't like being shot at by an immobile gun that does very little damage and has a very short range. Maybe a challenge like that is too much for them to handle.
I've already explained that killing such an underwhelming foe provides no satisfaction. It only gets in the way of the real challenges.
theknits is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Gugabalog
Major
 
Gugabalog's Avatar
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
Clearly changing the pet status of a game from no pets to having pets makes it more similar to a game that has pets. I shouldn't even need to explain that.



I've already explained that killing such an underwhelming foe provides no satisfaction. It only gets in the way of the real challenges.
So make them threatening, like an enviromental hazard.
Gugabalog is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
theknits
Private
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
So make them threatening, like an enviromental hazard.
You cant make them threatening without throwing game balance to the wind.
theknits is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major
 
Gonefshn's Avatar
 
Re: Spitfires


The reason devs were opposed to such things in the beginning was they wanted every single bit of gameplay to be player driven. As the beta has gone on they are slowly changing their attitude. The idea initially was a spitfire was not good because no one actually controlled it and aimed the shots.

Demand will make this available soon there is no doubt.
Gonefshn is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
theknits
Private
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
The reason devs were opposed to such things in the beginning was they wanted every single bit of gameplay to be player driven. As the beta has gone on they are slowly changing their attitude. The idea initially was a spitfire was not good because no one actually controlled it and aimed the shots.

Demand will make this available soon there is no doubt.
I'm guessing they would also rather not give hackers autoaim code to piggyback on either. Sadly it probably will be put in since turrets help to level the playing field between good players and bad players. Anyone can place a turret and lets face it good players are such a minority that you cant make a profit on them alone.
theknits is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Raka Maru
Major
 
Raka Maru's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by theknits View Post
I'm guessing they would also rather not give hackers autoaim code to piggyback on either. Sadly it probably will be put in since turrets help to level the playing field between good players and bad players. Anyone can place a turret and lets face it good players are such a minority that you cant make a profit on them alone.
You will find that engies in general love the thinking game, placing CE, using gadgets, etc... Labeling them as bad players is condescending and elitist on your part. If you ever start an outfit you won't attract any engies with that attitude.
Raka Maru is offline  
Old 2012-10-09, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
theknits
Private
 
Re: Spitfires


Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
You will find that engies in general love the thinking game, placing CE, using gadgets, etc... Labeling them as bad players is condescending and elitist on your part. If you ever start an outfit you won't attract any engies with that attitude.
Good thing I never called engies bad. I just brought up the fact that both bad players and good players can lay down turrets.
theknits is offline  
 
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.