Weapons, Attachments, Function - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: because we can
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-18, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Weapons, Attachments, Function

Punisher is amazing in 1v1s with auto-reload off. Well it was, until they nerfed plasma.

Yeah, Gauss with a grenade launcher would be beyond broken.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Punisher is amazing in 1v1s with auto-reload off. Well it was, until they nerfed plasma.

Yeah, Gauss with a grenade launcher would be beyond broken.
Well it also depends on how the new Gauss rifle works in PS2, but the Gauss as it is in PS1 with an M203... lol yeah that would be broken as hell.

I think that only certain attachments should really have drawbacks, otherwise you start to negate some of their usefulness. Some actually create their own drawbacks because they are rather specialized.

For example some of my ideas for attachments:

Underbarrel Grenade launcher:
Pro= Additional situational equipment that allows you to do high burst damage.
Con= Reduced stability on your shooting platform, thus an accuracy reduction to standard fire.

Red Dot Sight / ACOG Scope:
Pro= Higher level of aiming zoom (not much maybe 2x / 4x for ACOG) and increased accuracy.
Con= None needed (With the increased zoom you get tunnel vision, with less situational awareness you're an easier target for those around you.)

Fore Grip:
Pro= Increased stability and thus greater accuracy both from aiming and from the hip.
Con= Takes the place of any lower rail attachment, thus can not be used with an M203 , DL scanner, ect.

Flashlight / Darklight scanner:
Pro= Both allow vision in low light situations, DL scanner decreases the light's luminosity but fires a low frequency radiowave that disrupts cloak suits causing them to illuminate.
Con= Flashlight has none, however the DL scanner runs on a small capacitor that needs to recharge after it depletes, during which time the DL scanner can not be used. DL scanner is also a lower rail attachment, thus can not be used with an M203 or a Fore grip.

Tactical Uplink:
Pro= allows the user to paint a position momentarily giving a HUD ID to his squad mates for both warning and ordinance requesting functions. Squad leader can opt to promote this ID to a squad waypoint and also change it to a firing solution for artillery (much like the laze pointer for a flail).
Con= None, simply takes up a rail slot.

These are just a couple of thoughts, but not everything needs to have a strict drawback. They simply need to be made to serve a certain purpose, and be difficult to use outside that purpose. The ACOG scope is a prime example of this; you can't really use it at extreme ranges because it lacks the level of zoom needed, and its way too zoomed in to use in CQC.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
All these attachments have to give some sort of a negative effect when using them, otherwise it favors vets over newbs and the game gets unbalanced.
Stuff
I agree in some respects...but you're far too heavy handed. And in some cases just being silly.
Just like extra implants simply make you better adding certain attachments can operate in the same fashion.
Especially if some of these things are near-day-one certs. If you can drop a red dot on after a day, there's no need to penalize it.
Making a scope with zoom make your COF worse? Dumb.
Making the ADS go up on a 4x or whatever is understandable. But not on a red dot, which is partly designed to facilitate that.

Penalties should also make sense. Adding a grip shouldn't change your movement speed, it should lower your recoil effects, it shouldn't lower base deviation, it could make it impossible to mount the nade launcher.
Scopes should have nothing to do with base weapon parameters like damage, range or deviation. They simply make it easier to aim what you've got.
Though, mounting a 4x will make it harder to hit closer enemies when you consider tunnel vision, decreased sensitivity while zoomed and recoil effects on target reaquisition...If PS2 doesn't have some semblance of a decent recoil model, we've got bigger problems than scope balance.

Part of these things is that we're still stuck on weapon balance in PS1 context. While a launcher on the current gauss may be over powered, there's nothing at all to say it will be in PS2.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Tool
Master Sergeant

Tactical Uplink, very cool idea.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

Aye agreed that sounds pretty sweet

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-18, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
How do people feel about smoke grenades?
I'd love smoke grenades. In the game America's Army they're extremely powerful for letting players move around unseen. Would make it nice for moving forward into bases or into tree lines if you can get a squad to throw like 10 smoke grenades and fill a whole area with smoke.

Also if anyone is curious rendering such an effect is extremely inexpensive, not that it matters since they'll just use their volumetric rendering effect to do smoke grenades if they're added.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You were doing it wrong. Using frag grenades was faster. Fire 9 bullets I think it was then right click, click and the frag finishes them off instantly pretty much. Worked well at range also.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

Smoke Grens would be awesome if they could be put into the game successfully without lagging everyone, or allowing people to turn off the effects..

Old 2011-07-18, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

Yes I suppose I suggested some stiff penalties, but I didn't make any mention about how high up on the skill tree they would be. If they are relatively low skill level attachments then the penalties can be scaled back, but something like a grip is going to allow for less recoil and thus a better CoF (it just makes sense), there must be some way to balance that out so that newbies are not being picked off from a distance unfairly.

I feel that many of us are forgetting that simply having played for a month gives invaluable experience that can be used against newer players without having to use a modified weapon that is better than the base gun newbies are using. Not to mention it has been stated that up to a 20% dmg bonus will be possible for vet players. I mean how much easier does it need to be for vet plays to beat newbs into the ground?
Old 2011-07-18, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Smoke Grens would be awesome if they could be put into the game successfully without lagging everyone, or allowing people to turn off the effects..
Well if you could turn of the effect wouldn't that kind of negate the effect of a smoke grenade? Or was that the joke ?

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-18, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I like Darklight being an upgrade decision, either on a weapon attachment or perhaps some other tradeoff. It could be that by taking the darklight weapon attachment you could use a different implant. The darklight flashlight is also pretty cool because it would allow other people to see the infils too.

In addition to the attachments described, I'd like to throw melee-attachments into the mix.

I was thinking of this in the quick-knife discussion. I dont' like quick knife and if there's an equip knife then you can add melee attachments like a bayonette that grant you quick-knife like benefits in a way that makes logical sense. And you'd make a tradeoff for that quick-knife advantage.

Could also do something like a concussive blast to move someone *out* of melee range but otherwise do minor damage. Like a wider-angle shotgun used for tactical purposes that has a lot of room for error.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-18 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Volw
First Sergeant

darklight flashlight is spot on! I think you should post it alone in the 'ideas' sub-section.

Also, having darklight granade launcher flares could also be quite interesting.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-18, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
darklight flashlight is spot on! I think you should post it alone in the 'ideas' sub-section.

Also, having darklight granade launcher flares could also be quite interesting.
Yes, and the cloakers could have a "blind everyone in the room" flash and bang grenade, so it would be balanced. Then, after the grenade wore off, which would be the length of time it would take for the "darklight flashlight" batteries to die, they could go at it again.
Old 2011-07-18, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Volw
First Sergeant

Flash bangs could potentially be OP, however. Flashbang, knife, knife, knife, everyone's dead ;-)

Flashlight or grenades ensure it's not as easy as flicking Darklight in PS1.

Maybe add extra 'arming' timer on both? So there is a 1-2 second 'charging' sound to allow infil to react and to prevent flicking the flashlight like a stroboscope ;-)
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-18, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'd love smoke grenades. In the game America's Army they're extremely powerful for letting players move around unseen. Would make it nice for moving forward into bases or into tree lines if you can get a squad to throw like 10 smoke grenades and fill a whole area with smoke.

Also if anyone is curious rendering such an effect is extremely inexpensive, not that it matters since they'll just use their volumetric rendering effect to do smoke grenades if they're added.

You were doing it wrong. Using frag grenades was faster. Fire 9 bullets I think it was then right click, click and the frag finishes them off instantly pretty much. Worked well at range also.
Yeah, and plasma grenades fuck over their COF while doing good damage.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Well if you could turn of the effect wouldn't that kind of negate the effect of a smoke grenade? Or was that the joke ?
Well I was referring to some of the features now that allow you to turn them down. You can turn down plant/tree detail and ground effects that can be used as cover to give yourself an advantage (seeing people who think they are hiding). Kind of annoying

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion