How many boomers should be allowed per person. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: And now, Terrans jumping on trampolines!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Purple
Sergeant Major

How many boomers should be allowed per person.

i was watching the night ops vid when i noticed that TB seemed to have 4 boomers that could all be placed at once. i was wondering what you guys think. should there be a limit of 1 boomer per life unless you resupply? or if they cosr resources can you carrie as many as you can buy? i personally think unless your certed to carry more that 1 should be the limit.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: How many boomers should be allowed per person.

People are going to buy the certs to carry them as a priority, no doubt.

They should cost resources and they should also take up space and/or displace the ability to carry something else, in order to discourage people from carrying them as standard procedure. We do not need a situation where 100% of infantry has them 100% of the time.

An interesting question arises. If these things cost resources, when are the resources charged? When you spawn with them or when you use them? If you have to spend resources just to spawn with these things, and this goes for grenades or anything else, dying will be quite expensive.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
An interesting question arises. If these things cost resources, when are the resources charged? When you spawn with them or when you use them? If you have to spend resources just to spawn with these things, and this goes for grenades or anything else, dying will be quite expensive.
Interesting indeed though I am sure it will be when you spawn with them. I hope it is like that anyways. Allowing it to be charged when you use them makes having them on your person a no-brainer all the time. If you don't need them you don't use them, but in a tight spot it's there.

Taking grenades and other special items like C4 should be a playstyle choice you make in the load out screen before you spawn.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Interesting indeed though I am sure it will be when you spawn with them. I hope it is like that anyways. Allowing it to be charged when you use them makes having them on your person a no-brainer all the time. If you don't need them you don't use them, but in a tight spot it's there.

Taking grenades and other special items like C4 should be a playstyle choice you make in the load out screen before you spawn.
Well, as far as whether or not you carry C4 instead of an ammo pack, for example, absolutely.

But let's not even think about C4, let's think about grenades to keep it simple since everyone will carry a couple of those. Let's say those cost 10 resource points each. Does that mean we're going to get charged a minimum of 20 resource points each time we spawn and if we die without using them it's still 20 down the drain?

I'm not saying I would disagree with this because it's a great way to crush the enemy. The idea of the enemy having limited resources to work with as they lose territory appeals to me but somehow I don't think it will work that way.

Being unable to spawn your own vehicles or advanced infantry weapons would make more sense if we could steal or loot enemy weapons but we know we can't steal vehicles and we don't even know if we will be able to loot infantry weapons. That way, at least an empire with less resource producing land could at least wage a guerrilla war, using stolen enemy stuff that they can't afford on their own.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

To touch on the main point here. I think the number of C4 carried should have a limit and cost resources as a bundle. So that it's not X amount per C4, but X amount of resources to equip a C4 bundle which includes maybe 3 or 4
Old 2012-05-19, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

Ah yes, on the main point - I would say that a single infantry's maximum C4 load should be the amount it takes to kill 1 tank, plus 1. So - if it takes 3 C4 to kill a tank, they should carry 4.

Another question. If spawning with c4 costs resources, how much resources will an ammo bag cost and how long will it last/how many people will it resupply? Will ammo packs provide a way of getting around C4 costs/be a much more efficient method of getting more than say, resupplying at a station?
Old 2012-05-19, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mechzz
Major

Ah yes, on the main point - I would say that a single infantry's maximum C4 load should be the amount it takes to kill 1 tank, plus 1. So - if it takes 3 C4 to kill a tank, they should carry 4.
That makes sense, loadout = tank kill + 1.

Hopefully they won't charge extra for the tape to strap it our quads
Old 2012-05-19, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Purple
Sergeant Major

Another question. If spawning with c4 costs resources, how much resources will an ammo bag cost and how long will it last/how many people will it resupply? Will ammo packs provide a way of getting around C4 costs/be a much more efficient method of getting more than say, resupplying at a station?
i dasagree about having the C4 to blow up a tank unless it is a high end cert or maby a clocker special. i say if it takes 3 to kill a tank then people should get 2. its all about teamwork.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
i dasagree about having the C4 to blow up a tank unless it is a high end cert or maby a clocker special. i say if it takes 3 to kill a tank then people should get 2. its all about teamwork.
I was assuming that there is a cert and that the player has it. Even with the cert, the maximum should be the amount of c4 to kill a tank + 1.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
That makes sense, loadout = tank kill + 1.

Hopefully they won't charge extra for the tape to strap it our quads
If you check the Night Ops vid you'll notice that the satchelcharge sadly appears to work like boomers, i.e. you drop 'em on the ground and they don't stick to vehicles (or people :< ), which I personally hope will be change, but probably won't cause a lot of people seem to really mind Jihad-Jeeping, although it's so much fun.
Old 2012-05-19, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mechzz
Major

Terminology: we're saying Boomer because the detonator looked like the old boomer detonator from PS1. I also think TB used a boomer because it didn't stick to the tank, which I assume C4 would?

He seemed to lay 2 on the ground near the tank, did anyone see a higher number?
Old 2012-05-19, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

Terminology: we're saying Boomer because the detonator looked like the old boomer detonator from PS1. I also think TB used a boomer because it didn't stick to the tank, which I assume C4 would?

He seemed to lay 2 on the ground near the tank, did anyone see a higher number?
I only saw 2 but I thought I saw his hand flick three times as if to deploy...hard to tell.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mechzz
Major

I only saw 2 but I thought I saw his hand flick three times as if to deploy...hard to tell.
Yes. Hard to tell, agreed. I only see 2 indicators under the tank. And he says C4, so it's not clear to me what he used.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Yes. Hard to tell, agreed. I only see 2 indicators under the tank. And he says C4, so it's not clear to me what he used.
The explosive in question looks like the model for C4 they showed before in a tweet so I honestly think it's definitely the C4.

I don't mind people being able to carry enough C4 to one shot a tank for one reason. This isn't BF3 with one tank surrounded by tons of infantry. In BF3 it was not too hard to sneak up on the tanks. In PS2 there will be so many vehicles at once and such a huge fight going on you wont be able to just C4 tanks when they are in the open doing there thing. The only situation you might be able to approach a tank and C4 it would be in a situation that was dangerous for the tank anyway because it was in a tight area.

There will be plenty of room for "tank wars" and long range fire with the MBTs and getting C4d by surprise won't be a problem with your empire beside you watching your back and flanks.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

I gotta admit, I only said satchel as a jab at people switching between boomer and C4.

Let's just agree on Boomer for now, seems most appropriate for the way it seems to be handled.

BTT: Seemed to me like the actual "drop/place boomer"-animation wasn't finished at all, because it looked like his hand spazzed the fuck out when he dropped them, which made me do a doubletake cause I thought he just dropped like 7-8 at once.

But I do confirm the 2 icons on the ground behind/under the magriders rear.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-19 at 01:26 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion