News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [Sig Removed by Admin]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-13, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Wanted to touch on a couple things real quick.

When you release an update on the Playstation Network there is an entire process of their QA and distribution approval that needs to happen, it's a great system don't get me wrong, but we don't want to handcuff PC updates in order to keep the servers in sync.
I'd be willing to pay that price in order to keep the community and the player base together, and so should you be. It's lasted for more than a decade. It'd be a sad waste to split it up now.

My reasons are strategic as well as sentimental. One enterprise software platform with bifurcate versions for a bifurcate user base is *always* a fucking nightmare. I've written the user documentation for them, I've acted as tier one/two tech support for the users, and it's a nightmare, Higs.

Keep us together. Move heaven and earth to make it so. Offer Station Credits to every PS4 user who buys a mouse and keyboard. They won't be at a disadvantage twitch-wise, they'll be able to cert lethal shinies right off to compete with all the BR 50's and 90's, and Sony will sell a lot more peripherals. Don't take one horse off the cart just because it moves a bit slower. Keep them together and pulling in the same direction. Buffer up the PC patches and release them as the PS4 patches go out. You've just told the whole world there's no technical reason this can't be done.

Give the console jockeys Smedbucks, give them some kind of cockamamie aim-assist, do whatever you have to, but KEEP THE COMMUNITY INTACT and KEEP THOSE SERVERS FULL. Please. You can guarantee exciting mass battles for years to come... or you can be stuck with two slowly-dwindling player bases that will thin out every time some shiny new FPS hits the market. We NEED that critical mass of people, and we need it to be sustainable. Size always matters.... remember?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wouldn't be willing to pay the price of waiting for the certification process for the PC patches, so console players would be able to play with PC players. I experience that enough with other console ports as it stands already.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-13, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Shogun
Contributor
General

any news if the ps4 will use seperate accounts?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-13, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
any news if the ps4 will use seperate accounts?

In the only E3 interview I saw Higby said they would like to link accounts so you could transfer the same character between either version. He didn't sound like it was set in stone.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Shogun
Contributor
General

thanks for filling me in!

i still hope they use seperate accounts, to keep the multisystem players on the pc servers.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-13, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I wouldn't be willing to pay the price of waiting for the certification process for the PC patches, so console players would be able to play with PC players. I experience that enough with other console ports as it stands already.
So... we don't have to wait as long as most of the people that are ever going to play this game, both for fixes and new content... and in return... we never get to play with them. You know. The other half (and probable majority) of the player base. In a massive multiple parallel shoot-em-up where if the population dwindles past a certain point, people get bored and simply quit playing.

At serious risk of sounding like a condescending dick, I don't think you're thinking this through, Chip. You get twice (or more) as many people to shoot at and you don't wait any longer than they do. For anything. What's your beef?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-14 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2013-06-14, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
So... we don't have to wait as long as most of the people that are ever going to play this game, both for fixes and new content... and in return... we never get to play with them. You know. The other half (and probable majority) of the player base. In a massive multiple parallel shoot-em-up where if the population dwindles past a certain point, people get bored and simply quit playing.

At serious risk of sounding like a condescending dick, I don't think you're thinking this through, Chip. You get twice (or more) as many people to shoot at and you don't wait any longer than they do. For anything. What's your beef?
I don't really care if the majority of the playerbase ends up being on the console, as long as the PC playerbase is healthy and big enough. I didn't have any interest in playing with the Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3 console players.
Who's to stay that the console version, and any subsequent performance optimization, won't help attract more people over to the PC version.

I have certainly thought it through, from years of direct experience. Having to conform to the certification process is no joke and frankly is one of the main reasons why I prefer PC titles. Also having to wait for said process is bad enough in a multiplayer game, but an MMO... We've already seen just how many hotfixes have been needed for PS2 so far.
I personally probably wouldn't be getting any more people to shoot at on Miller, even though the playerbase will hopefully grow substantially overall with the inclusion of the PS4. So I don't really care about that, as long as each server has a healthy population I'm fine.

That being said, I'm not against cross-platforming when it makes sense. I don't think it makes sense in an FPS, or probably any other shooter.
I wouldn't be against offering up an alternative for the console players willing to play with a M+K, not sure how that would work out with different client versions because of the certification process. But as a general rule of thumb, no. I don't want to see aim assisted controllers go up against keyboards and mice in an FPS. (Unless someone comes up with a very creative way to make that work)

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 2013-06-14, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Much as I would love having the opportunity to shoot up console players, what Higby says makes huge sense, and having PS2 on the PS4 will ensure the longevity of the game for PC players.
Old 2013-06-14, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Root Hade
Corporal

Originally Posted by FireWater View Post
Bummer about the cross platform play. I think it would have been a major achievement in gaming, and for PS4 in general.

For the record I believe that PS4 will outsell Xbone significantly. All of those restrictions MS put on the console are terrible. Especially when they tell people who want to play just single player games without an internet connection to just play the 360.

MAybe in the future PS4 will be able to connect to the PC Servers or vice versa, I personally think it would be awesome, if the enviornment can be competitive.
It's been done years ago. It was a bloody failure. KB/M destroys analog sticks. Theres no way to fix that without screwing someone over.
Old 2013-06-14, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post

With regards to 'thinking it through' what do you think it will do to the console population, when playing with the controller makes them feel like second-class citizens?

I can't tell you to which degree they will choose to quit, but I can guarantee you that they will quit sooner than they would if the platforms were kept entirely separate.
Old 2013-06-14, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Whiteagle
Major

But wait, is there some way to set your PS4 up so that you can play the PC version of Planetside?
Old 2013-06-14, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
But wait, is there some way to set your PS4 up so that you can play the PC version of Planetside?
Maybe if you are allowed to play off of the playstation network. Otherwise it would create some security issues.
Old 2013-06-14, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I don't see how anyone thinks more people playing PS2 and therefore more people knowing of PS2 could be bad.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-06-15, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #134
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I don't see how anyone thinks more people playing PS2 and therefore more people knowing of PS2 could be bad.
Because players that have both PC and PS4 will have to choose which to play. Having 2 separate servers will split the community. With different interface hardware (kb&m and/or controller) and software builds, it will in essence be 2 different games.

The concern is if/when one becomes more enjoyable than the other. Or more money is spent on one than the other. More resources will be spent on the one that makes more cash. More resources spent makes it even more enjoyable. and the one with lesser attention and playerbase goes the way of PS1.

It is interesting to me that ForgeLight's first game will be multiplatform. EQ:Next on console since PS4 has KB&M support?
Old 2013-06-15, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by kubacheski View Post
Because players that have both PC and PS4 will have to choose which to play. Having 2 separate servers will split the community.

The concern is if/when one becomes more enjoyable than the other. Or more money is spent on one than the other. More resources will be spent on the one that makes more cash. More resources spent makes it even more enjoyable. and the one with lesser attention and playerbase goes the way of PS1.
My private fear -- one of several -- is that they *both* go the way of PS1, peaking for a couple of years but never really hitting their full potential, then slowly dwindling.

So the patch release schedule for the PC users gets slaved to the PS4 cert process. So the console jockeys possibly get some kind of aim-assist-bot-thingie to help them compete with the hyper-twitchy PC crowd. Big deal. That's a small price to pay for a unified community and ginormous battles.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-15 at 01:44 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion