YouTube Faction Based Ad Campaign - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how do I turn god-mode on?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-04, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NCLynx
Major

YouTube Faction Based Ad Campaign

So I just got back from something called VidCon (YouTube Convention basically) and while I was there I made it a point to ask some people who do gaming channels about Planetside 2.

One of the channels had not only heard of it but said he, SoE, and at least 2 other gaming channels were going to help promote the game through YouTube.

What they would be doing is getting one channel per faction and creating a sort media campaign for whatever faction they had. This would include gameplay and possibly even a real-life skit kinda ad campaign for the factions. I don't know if the channels he listed were the final choice or not but TotalBiscuit was not one of them. (Which I can understand. TB will always be backing PS2, so choosing 3 new additional channels for more exposure can only be good)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the persons channel because he couldn't tell me to much in the first place and I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

I guess for now this thread could be thoughts on this type of advertisement for PS2.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Re: YouTube Faction Based Ad Campaign

There will be enough fan advertisement for PS2 once it comes out. BF3 only got so big because it was the only game to deliver a fun and good looking vehicle+infantry combat on a slightly larger scale. PS2 renders pretty much the entire Battlefield series pointless, so we can safely assume that it will have a much, much larger playerbase, who in turn will consist of more and more video makers with a large subscriber base.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

Well yea there's no doubt in my mind that the amount of fan advertisement alone will be insane. I just figured it would be cool if what I was told does indeed come to fruition as well.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crator
Major General

Ever hear of www.PlanetsideTV.com? That's Morto's site. He'll probably try and give them a run for their money!
Old 2012-07-04, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zalmoxis View Post
There will be enough fan advertisement for PS2 once it comes out. BF3 only got so big because it was the only game to deliver a fun and good looking vehicle+infantry combat on a slightly larger scale. PS2 renders pretty much the entire Battlefield series pointless, so we can safely assume that it will have a much, much larger playerbase, who in turn will consist of more and more video makers with a large subscriber base.
Being a PC exclusive and not having the marketing might of EA, let alone the long lineage of the Battlefield series, I would be VERY surprised if Planetside 2 garners a "much, much larger player base".

Don't get me wrong -- I would like to see that happen, I just doubt it will. Thus, this YouTube channel initiative sounds like a good, cost effective social media strategy.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Being a PC exclusive and not having the marketing might of EA, let alone the long lineage of the Battlefield series, I would be VERY surprised if Planetside 2 garners a "much, much larger player base".

Don't get me wrong -- I would like to see that happen, I just doubt it will. Thus, this YouTube channel initiative sounds like a good, cost effective social media strategy.
Do you think that LoL developers had even as much as the PS2 devs did, in terms of fame or marketing? Not even close ( I know because I was there before the CBT of LoL and during it). And yet, LoL is bigger than any EA game will probably ever be simply because of the business model.

Since FPS games have a much bigger fanbase than Dota ever did, it's safe to assume that a market changing game such as PS2 with the exact same business model as LoL cannot fail unless the devs screw up REALLY big. I am going to say this now but good luck to the guys in charge of server maintenance at the open beta launch.

Take a look at WoT. The devs and community managers are pure crap. And yet, they get more and more players because it's free and unique. PS2 is unique and has a much better grasp with the community that WoT ever did.

My point here is that PS2 cannot fail. It's impossible.
Old 2012-07-04, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

This will/would be cool.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-04, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Would you care to say what gaming channel this was?

Who were the others and what did they have to say about PS2?
Old 2012-07-04, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
UnDeAdKiTtY
Corporal

I would like a beta date or a link to play ad
Old 2012-07-04, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zalmoxis View Post
Take a look at WoT. The devs and community managers are pure crap. And yet, they get more and more players because it's free and unique. PS2 is unique and has a much better grasp with the community that WoT ever did.

My point here is that PS2 cannot fail. It's impossible.
YES! Finally someone who shares my point of view. WoT is a pretty decent game, but lacked severely in many areas, yet they've got the bigbucks from this title. Also, as you're saying, FPS is a somewhat of a larger market and I can't see PS2 being even half as bad as WoT. PS2 to me should be a great FPS experience, quality meets consistency/persistency(is that even a word?) and it's frikkin' FREE. Who wouldn't try a Triple-A product that's free? If they market well I predict a huge influx of players who are just there for the "Well, it's free I might as well". If even just half of them stays around a bit longer PS2 and SOE are in for quite the treat I think.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion