OS math - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where shooting yourself in the foot is acceptable.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-02-09, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
millions? Hehe, not many games cost millions.
Yeah, they do. MMORPGs especially.
Old 2005-02-09, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

As I see it, OS is the nuclear bomb of Planetside (dont quote me on it for it doesn't put shadows of people on buildings). Why waste your bomb on one AMS that is just pissing you off and it could be rebuilt. The Nuclear bomb is for mass murder. Think about it: destory cities-destory building, blow up bunch of nc soldiers-blow up nc ams and maybe 2 straglers. If you seroiusly want the AMS gone, waypoint it and get a liberator or flail. 5 minutes opposed to 3 hours.

Save your OS for the opertune moment. FOr example, when the capitols shields go down and all the enemies are in the courtyard ready to fight. Thats slaughter and thats when an OS works at its best.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2005-02-09, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn
Yeah, they do. MMORPGs especially.
millions, I dont think so, it would take years to pay for itself at the prices they charge.

Old 2005-02-09, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BUGGER
As I see it, OS is the nuclear bomb of Planetside (dont quote me on it for it doesn't put shadows of people on buildings). Why waste your bomb on one AMS that is just pissing you off and it could be rebuilt. The Nuclear bomb is for mass murder. Think about it: destory cities-destory building, blow up bunch of nc soldiers-blow up nc ams and maybe 2 straglers. If you seroiusly want the AMS gone, waypoint it and get a liberator or flail. 5 minutes opposed to 3 hours.

Save your OS for the opertune moment. FOr example, when the capitols shields go down and all the enemies are in the courtyard ready to fight. Thats slaughter and thats when an OS works at its best.
Lol i c you've never used OS before. AMSs are FANTASTIC OS targets. You will much more rarely get good ammounts of troops all standing in a group, but the AMS will almost always give you at least a few kills. OS targets aren't that easy to find.
Old 2005-02-09, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BUGGER
You can't O/S a capitol. Also, most CR5s do wait on good targets (even those that use it solely to kill whore). Heck, most of the time, I wait so long for a "good target" that I end up logging off without ever using the thing.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2005-02-09, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

My squad was trying to use a bunch of Lancers last night

We got OSed 6 times :O
Old 2005-02-09, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Yeah lancers make good targets, phoenix guys are even better, striker guys are just so-so, striker doesn't require the attention you need for the other ones.
Old 2005-02-09, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

Yeah, but 6 times in two hours?
All for 5 guys sitting on a hill sniping.

Getting to the point where OS is so unrare that people use it on whatever,
rather than save it for when their empire needs it.

Because they know if they don't have it, someone else will

Which is why they need to make OSes less common.
Old 2005-02-09, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamorad
First Sergeant

True, there are more and more cr4s and 5s now.

I love to use OS, but that doesn't mean that i'm not for taking it away.

Cr4 and 5s are supposed to help TEAMWORK, but what does OS do for us? It gives us more one man armies. If you can take out so much by pressing a little button, you're not leading.

Many, NOT ALL, cr5s got there simply because they wanted OS. Some i know just wanted to lead.

Maybe only give cr4 and 5s OS if they're OL?
Old 2005-02-09, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

millions, I dont think so, it would take years to pay for itself at the prices they charge.
No, it wouldn't. Even at something paltry like 100,000 subscribers you'd be making over a million a month. Plus, box sales help pay for it somewhat.
Old 2005-02-09, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
DeepStrikeck
Sergeant Major

OSes in CYs that are Red Alerted is a great strategical decision, and yes, it induces teamwork. Why? Simple. You give your empire the ability to push out. It is not for the kill whore, it is for that moment that you've been beaten down and need that little pick-me-up so you can get back on your feet and beat the tar out of the opposition. The OS on the overrun CY is what saves bases. Yeah, you may get a ton of kills, but if wiping that CY helps your empire to come back and regain their position and possibly the continent, then it was a very good tactical decision. OSes may give people good kills, but they have to long of a timer and are too small to really make an effective kill whoring tool. Most OSes kill 6-15 people. Rarely, even in crowded CYs, do you get OSes that kill 20+. They are meant for the leaders to give their empire that boost to get back on their feet and fight. That is why it has such a long timer, to minimize the "rambo kill whoring" and to maximize the strategy in saving a base.
Old 2005-02-11, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn
No, it wouldn't. Even at something paltry like 100,000 subscribers you'd be making over a million a month. Plus, box sales help pay for it somewhat.
Mm spose thats true, but how many mmos have that many subs?

Not to mention the cost of continuing developement, servers, and advertising. plus whatever they lose doing trials.

Last edited by Baneblade; 2005-02-11 at 01:08 AM.
Old 2005-02-11, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Mm spose thats true, but how many mmos have that many subs?
EQ was the biggest with around 250k active subscribers. SW:G was somewhere around there as well. WoW has way more than that, having at times more than 250k active users on at once. Other games like DAOC and so on have between 100k and 200k subscribers. Planetside is really the odball of the bunch with under 100k subscribers.

I think you'd be amazed at how expensive these games are to create, but how potentially profitable they can be.

Not to mention the cost of continuing developement, servers, and advertising. plus whatever they lose doing trials.
Staff sallaries and bandwidth costs do take away a significant percentage of the monthly fee, but by no means does it make these games unprofitable. Why do you think SOE has so many MMORPGs to its name? Why are there so many MMORPGs in development/already released? These games generate a lot of revenue if even remotely successful.

Last edited by Warborn; 2005-02-11 at 01:20 AM.
Old 2005-02-11, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Hmm, spose it would be nice if some of these multi million $ projects actually reflected that much of an investment...hehe

Old 2005-02-11, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

MMOs are sustainable revenue, but you need the financial, technical and business power to get them up to speed and maintain momentum. You need a lot of users to make them work as well.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion