Base Capture Strategy - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got Auraxian wood?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-04, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MorphiasAC
Corporal

Base Capture Strategy

Ok, this is something that I have been thinking about for a while now. First of all what is the *most* important piece of infrastructure for any given facility(towers not included): the command console. If you lose this, its over you've lost everything. It makes everything for the defender more difficult once the c.c. is hacked. Of course they do have to hold it, but once again without the base amenities working for the defense that's going to be tough.

Since this is the most important piece of the puzzle, it also will most likely be the most heavily defended. Now, if I were leading an attack the target I would save for last would be the c.c. It's just gonna be tough to take. I would hope to take these objectives in this order, well priority.

1. Turrets. Send some reavers in to attempt to disable these babies quickly. I believe they fire automatically which means they are like extra defenders, that's something I don't want shredding my infantry as we try to get in through the front door. Plus the idea of air first, then ground attacks seems to work. The secondary targets for the reavers would be: 1. If possible the vehicule facility (not sure if this is internal or external); 2. Any ground vehicules which are targetable; 3. If there is no real Air threat to the reavers anything that moves.

2. Now that we have breached the entrance there is a choice to be made. 1. The equipment terminals, lets face it standard equipment isn't that great. 2. The matrixing(respawn) tubes. The generator is an option, but I don't know how repairing goes, and I'd prefer as little major damage as possible--plus I believe is will be harder to reach. Frankly I would send a few scouts to each location to probe the defense and then make my choice. If they were about equal I would head for the respawn tubes.

3. Full assault on the c.c., now they either cannot respawn or cannot restock(after they extinguish their lockers--hmm, those might merit some attention), either way holding the c.c. for the next 15 minutes will be much easier.

I know that I did leave out the more specific points of the fight, such as actually breaching the interior, however, I feel that those sorts of decisions are usually better made in the field. Most likely a combo of vehicules, maxs, and infantry(I bet you never would have guessed). Most likely, the air will take care of itself after the initial bombardment, especially if you can spare a few mosquitos for the sky.

Anyway, please share any comments or other stategies.
Old 2003-04-04, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Why not try and blitz the console before the defenders can really get to it and dig in?
Old 2003-04-04, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MorphiasAC
Corporal

The main reason I'm... tenative to use that strat is simply holding the dam place for 15 minutes after the fact seems much tougher. Especially since it sends that warning across the entire continent/empire, I'm not sure which. Besides, holding the respawn and equipment area beforehand would be nice. Easy to get you're attacking squad loaded up in the tubes(you do have to actually save yourself at the respawn tubes right), and be able to re-equip quickly for a more defensive posture. Plus I think it will in general make things tougher on the defense/recapture operation.
Old 2003-04-04, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Saint
Captain

The most simple answer is usually the correct one.
Old 2003-04-04, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
shodan
Sergeant

Originally posted by Saint
The most simple answer is usually the correct one.
He's right remember the saying: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

I bet if you look hard enough you'll find Sun Tzu probably wrote it in the Art Of War

[Join BOA] [Visit BOA]
Go On, You Know It Makes Sense!
Old 2003-04-04, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Matuse
First Sergeant

Blow up the respawn tubes, and they won't be able to reinforce with any reasonable speed.

You can have your engineer's rebuild them once the base is under your control.
Old 2003-04-04, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MorphiasAC
Corporal

Honestly I really didn't think it was all that complicated.
Step 1. Blow up Stuff
Step 2. Blow up this stuff.
Step 3. Hack this stuff.
Step 4. Defend this stuff.

More or less anyway.
Old 2003-04-04, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chief-BOA
Private

ergh to complicated. i think most people will want to keep it simple, but im sure that big overthought plans will probably succeed over a spur of the moment thing

[Join BOA] [Visit BOA]
Go On, You Know It Makes Sense!

The only thing better than a dead Vanu is a dying Vanu who tells you were his mates are
Old 2003-04-04, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
d3ath4u
First Sergeant

Indeed, i plan on being an overplanner just because its fun to do everything down to the last mine in a certain way.
Old 2003-04-04, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sando138
Second Lieutenant

step 1: destroy respawn tubes and generator. enemy equipment, reinforcements, and defense hindered. timed or detonated charges applicable.

step 2: march into your brand new base and destroy remaining forces. generator is self-repairing, so just get your tubes and such back online.
Old 2003-04-04, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

step 1: secure base perimeter.

step 2: threaten to pipe in a reading of the latest 100+ thread on Tribes vs. Planetside or "Is it beta yet?".

step 3: secure the newly surrendered base.
Old 2003-04-04, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Here's one, but would take more coordination. Get a few guys (must be Inf., Hack, and AI/AV MAX certed), about 5-10 in Inf. Suits and sneak one at a time slowly into underground, evading patrols, being careful about looking around corners and such, especially against TR (AI MAXs in narrow hallways ). Then get them all to equipment terminals except one (preferably combat engineer certed, for turrets). Have that one hack control console and the rest get MAXs. Rush the MAXs to the CC. Have that one try to get a MAX. Right before you hack, call in a huge assault. Hack JUST AFTER (1/2 sec.) after first shot is fired (have someone report it. Hopefully the notice will be lost in confusion and gut reactions. Those who go in will hopefully not be expecting those MAXs down there already.
Old 2003-04-04, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
TheRegurgitator
Major

I think the best way is to surround the enemy hold position from about 200 meters away or whatever is out of their range. Freak them out after standing there for 30 minutes and you'll have a hell of a force.

P.S. Build up forces while waiting.
Old 2003-04-04, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Flameseeker
Captain

Patty, that's retarded. I would just throw grenades at you. BTW, they are calling for reinforcements too.
Old 2003-04-04, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheRegurgitator
Major

I meant out of sight of the enemy or range at least
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion