Faction Choice / Class - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Secret world domination plans sold here
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-11-20, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
satori
Corporal

Faction Choice / Class

Hello. I haven't played the beta so forgive me if this is a dumb questions. I've read that the faction you choose will effect how your weapons perform. For example: "Vanu Sovereignty – Energy-based weapons with damage fall-off over range, and more maneuverable hover-tanks."

If this is true, would it make sense to chose a faction other than VS if I intend on rolling with the sniper (due to the "damage fall off over range")?

Thanks
Old 2012-11-20, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Faction Choice / Class

The only really noticeable difference between the empires is that only the NC get a one-shot-one-kill sniper rifle as default while you have to buy/unlock the same version if you're VS or TR. Just go with the faction you like the most as the difference in infantry weapons isn't big enough to overly prefer one over the other. Of course this is just my opinion.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-11-20, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sunrock
Major

The biggest different is maybe the MBTs between the different factions. TR have the prowler that has a ability to anchor it self to increase reload time, NC gets a defense "bubble" that reduce damage taken and VS gets hovering tanks that can scale terrain very efficiently and can strafe.
Old 2012-11-20, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

True, the biggest difference is the empire specific MBT's, I was just referring to the infantry aspect:P

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-11-20, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phrygen
Corporal

I am new to Planet side as well and am having a difficult time picking a side as well. Hello everyone!

I decided early that I did not want to play as a Terran Republic. Though i did like a few things about them, they seemed to be the most "zergy" of the three factions, and their MBT seems terrible. Frankly the only thing i really liked about them were their pants...they be styling(not so much the goggles...) Anyway i figured if I had to eliminate one so it as TR.

Now picking from NC and Vanu is quite difficult.

--> For the vanu, I think the sythe is my favorite aircraft and its maneuverability and hover ability seems to make it the best out of the three. i like their beam based weapons not having as much recoil or weapon drop. I also like the whole science aspect, and from what i understand they have the best max suits. I also like the gun turrent on the vanu MBC that is a laser guase cannon of some sort? Anyway it does sick damage to enemy armor.

-->For the NC i also like their MBT, probably a bit more than the Vanu MBT. Their main cannon seems to travel a bit faster (though i could be wrong) but everything it doesn't have in mobility it makes up for in fire power and toughness. I dont know about the rocket laucher anti armor gunner option it has, but I would be surprised if it match the vanus... Really what i like about the NC most is that it seems like they could upgrade the best. There are no certs for damage, but you can apparently improve stability, fire rate and muzzle flash.

As for sniping, they both seem fairly equal since i assume both sides have access to weapon types other than the their starting option.So it seems to be a choice between maneuverability vs damage. Weapon drop vs weapon damage over distance. Also a choice between "freedom" or "science"... however with the improved story line there is more ambiguity. The NC are fighting for freedom, however they are really just a huge conglomerate of corporations... they are basically wall street it seems like. As for the Vanu, they love science and progress, but they are also rather fanatical and come off like Scientologists.

I'm rambling, and its my first post here. I'm leaning towards the NC but the truth is i find both equally appealing for different reasons. If no new information comes my way, i'll go NC, but i'll be searching for a few days to see if i'm making the right choice.

Last edited by Phrygen; 2012-11-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2012-11-20, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
satori
Corporal

thanks for the replies so far. i'm curious to hear why you've chosen the faction that you did, so, feel free to chime in.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions