PSU: Submit.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Fan Fiction

Old 2013-05-29, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Calder
Private

Rebirth Part 3: Dreams

[Preface: the following is part 3 of a 3-part series briefly examining how soldiers on each side might react to the Rebirthing process within the first year and a half of the war. I have tried to keep official lore and each faction's general philosophy in mind when writing these. Please enjoy.

For reference, the war starts with the assault on Kane Prison, Searhus, on June 21, 2845 according to official lore.]

Rebirth Part 3: Dreams

Personal Record of Venator Adria Malick, 5th Reconnaissance Legion, Vanu Sovereignty

RefDate: “Sovereignty Day”
+128

Not a day goes by that I do not marvel at the glory that our senior researchers have brought to Vanu’s name. A cure for death itself, wrought from the legacy of Vanu’s own kind! A pity it could not have come before this regrettable conflict. A pity we could not figure out how to tune the Rebirthing Matrix to our people alone, else we would have cleansed this planet of bigotry and despotism months ago.

There are still some reports of abnormalities in the process, but these are increasingly rare and are usually remedied by a second Rebirthing cycle. However, the Mani enclave has reported some isolated psychological cases which may warrant further study. These phenomena have yet to be reproduced independently though, so not many in my cohort seem very interested yet.

It has been hard to keep up with the research feeds since this latest offensive, but I shall try my best to keep an eye on developments in this case.

[Entries Skipped]

RefDate: “Sovereignty Day”
+189

Found something interesting in the feeds today. Cases like those reported by the Mani team remain uncommon, but they finally got some independent corroboration... from the Terran Republic. An infiltration team transmitted a trove of data out of Rashnu two weeks ago; seems as though some TR re-education camps have reported a slow uptick in cases of fraternizers and sympathizers with some eerily consistent details. All of these cases mention hallucinations and out-of-body experiences, very similar to the Mani reports. Will keep monitoring, though another intensive mission is coming up. Every Rebirth is a blessing from Vanu.

[Entries Skipped]

I cannot stop shaking. Last night I dreamt that I was fighting thousands of miles away on Hossin, but not... not for Vanu. I was wearing New Conglomerate armor. The soldiers around me called my name, but it was not my name, and I called back but it was not my voice. I remember this consuming desire, this drive to tear down everything the so-called Republic stood for and make my own way on this planet. It felt right, like I couldn’t remember fighting for anyone else. The most frightening part was that I had not a thought in my head for Vanu, save one. We came upon a Sunderer bearing the Sovereignty’s insignia and... I hated it. I wanted to blow apart everyone inside it and burn the remains before the nanites could wipe them away. I cannot -

Cease dictation.

[following entry recovered from unexpected system shutdown]

[edit history partially restored]

29MAR46

Loyalty until

I thought it was safe to stop taking sedatives but I was wrong. It’s not even light out yet but I’m not going back to my bunk. This time I wasn’t even female anymore, and I’ve never flown a Terran fightercraft in my life but it felt so familiar...

I killed so many of my brothers and sisters. I just checked the battle reports but there’s no evidence of what I did... yet. I’m being silly... there’s no way it really happened, no way they could trace it back to me this me the real me

It’s all in my head. I just need to redouble my efforts on the battlefield to atone. Everything will be okay. Vanu will guide me.

Vanu will guide

[no further recovery possible. record ends.]

They’re in my head theyre in my head theyre in my head they wont go away wontgowawayawaywaywaywayawy

2846.04.03:

What

do

you

get

when

you

take

RED

and

BLUE

and

PURPLE

and

MIX THEM ALL TOGETHER?

MORE PURPLE

Why did I not see it before?! The texts that my counselor has been giving me reminded me of what I should have seen all along! Henry Briggs himself reported a “miraculous growth of empathy” after encountering Vanu’s first artifact all those years ago, and what have my visions been if not the same flashes of enlightenment?

This is tremendous. If the records uncovered at Rashnu and more recently at Chuku are really the same phenomenon, than it can only be the Rebirthing Matrix at work! Sovereignty, Republic, Conglomerate - all have been blessed with Vanu’s embrace in more ways than we could have possibly imagined. All are blessed to see the world as others see it, to walk in their shoes, touch with their hands, feel with their hearts... it is only a matter of time now.

Tonight, and every night after, I shall sleep soundly. The gift given to Briggs has become the gift of every Auraxian. Vanu is with us all. We have won.
Old 2013-08-13, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Rebirth Part 3: Dreams

Hi Calder,
Finally got around to reading through all three parts. Very good! I especially loved the possibility that the respawning process increases the 'subjects' empathy with Vanu, until eventually they become Vanu themselves. That's something I'd never considered before .

I also liked the writers voice of part 2, and how you blended in the effect of rebirth on both the Soldier's time at war and back in civilian life.

Are you planning to write any more?

Sonny
Old 2013-10-27, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Orisoll
Private

Re: Rebirth Part 3: Dreams

Huh... I find this very interesting. If the rebirthing matrix links all organisms on a planet together, eventually they may begin to merge mentally... Or even physically.

Really good writing here, very enjoyable read.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Fan Fiction