News: PCGAMER preview - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best site ever
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-26, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: PCGAMER preview

Indizzle - Higby is in the past!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-27, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Indizzle - Higby is in the past!
praps thats why he kinda reminds me of...

At least that would partially explain the fascination with dinosaurs.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-27, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Sifer2
Major

Not really liking all the comparisons to Modern Warfare really. Maybe they just say that in hopes of luring more people in. But if the game really plays like COD it will suck IMO.

It's one thing to modernize the shooting mechanics. But I really hope they don't end just jacking up the bullet damage until it turns into a spawn/die/spawn/die style game. I just don't see that working in a thousands of player setting. Or at least it wont be much fun. That gameplay really only works in a small urban environment with maybe 16 people. Which is as far away from Planetside as I can imagine.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The bit about the empire specific fighters having switchable roles much like the tanks was a bit interesting. Mainly because they are keeping the classic aircraft and adding in this one size fits all aircraft while removing the classic ground vehicles. Seems inconsistent.
Old 2011-09-27, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Yeah Terra Nova will be interesting. Will watch it tonight since I don't have access to US television.

Sorry for OT
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-09-27, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Thanks for the scans Basti. Nothing new in there it seems save the screenshot. I really hope those are pictures from the testing area as I would hate to defend that base seen in the background, it's right under a really high cliff and just a few guys up there could harry the whole cy.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Captain B
First Sergeant

Harry, but not take. They'd need to get down and dirty to breach it. Or maybe with the suggestion that facilities are HUGE, the cliff is actually inside the facility?

That'd be sweet.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Heaven
Master Sergeant

The pic of the NC guy on one of the articles looks very blue, I bet thats the next upgrade of armor colour, looking pretty good.
Old 2011-09-27, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Punker
Corporal

Might have been what they meant when they said they cleaned up the player textures a bit.
Old 2011-09-27, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
praps thats why he kinda reminds me of...

At least that would partially explain the fascination with dinosaurs.
LOL. Very nice! How much?
Old 2011-09-27, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
kaffis
Contributor
Major

For those saying "nothing new, other than release year" -- we did get some very interesting new info, that I've been after for a while.

Namely, advancing your leadership skill tree will allow you to use more granular objectives in your missions. To the point of even suggesting that you can designate specific turrets and gates as targets. That's big info for me, and I'm very glad to hear it.
Old 2011-09-27, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
For those saying "nothing new, other than release year" -- we did get some very interesting new info, that I've been after for a while.

Namely, advancing your leadership skill tree will allow you to use more granular objectives in your missions. To the point of even suggesting that you can designate specific turrets and gates as targets. That's big info for me, and I'm very glad to hear it.
Good call. I've been wondering how specific missions can be, so it will be interesting to see how it is implemented. For example, if some of those short term targets need to be written up in a mission briefing, I don't know how much it would really be used. However, if they can do things like laze or highlight targets on the fly, then that could be pretty epic.

Also, I knew that Higby would be all over Terra Nova. Part of me thinks it would be funny to Google "dinosaur fetish", but the more I think about it, the more that idea scares me. I may never be able to erase the horrible images I may find. Some stones are better left unturned.

Old 2011-09-27, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Good call. I've been wondering how specific missions can be, so it will be interesting to see how it is implemented. For example, if some of those short term targets need to be written up in a mission briefing, I don't know how much it would really be used. However, if they can do things like laze or highlight targets on the fly, then that could be pretty epic.

Also, I knew that Higby would be all over Terra Nova. Part of me thinks it would be funny to Google "dinosaur fetish", but the more I think about it, the more that idea scares me. I may never be able to erase the horrible images I may find. Some stones are better left unturned.
I'd be pretty shocked to see a "written mission briefing" as it were.

I'm expecting kind of a bullet point, important highlights thing, not some quest dialogue.

When they talk about designing missions, what I see in my head is the commander opening up a map window. From there, he can zoom in (perhaps further, or getting recent ground-level views of things like CE built emplacements and standing forces or whatnot if there's been recon missions completed in the area; that'd be sweet) and then right click highlightable targets (based on what skills he has in the mission-creation section of the command tree) like bases, gates, doors, turrets, and terminals. If he doesn't have an appropriate skill, he can still click to make waypoints, but waypoint-centric objectives offer lower rewards since they can't be tied to completion flags like "destroy" or "breach." Once a target is selected, the commander can choose from a list of target-appropriate objectives. "Breach gate," "neutralize forces in courtyard," "Destroy generator," as examples.

So, when a player accepts a mission, those simple bullet points show up on their HUD, with a waypoint on their HUD or minimap.

I would be simply shocked if generating a mission required typing in a briefing. "Intelligence gathered half an hour indicates the Vanu are staging an assault on Asa from Bomazi. The attack seems to be primarily heavy armor; as such, in order to undermine this offensive, we need to cripple their Auraxium reserves with a strike on known Auraxium stockpile located at Honsi. Infiltrate the courtyard, breach the base doors, and destroy the generator."

Few would bother to enter that, and fewer still would bother to read it. At best, a "briefing" might be algorithmically generated if the devs wanted to be cute and clever, but I think it's unnecessary. It would certainly be a nifty aesthetic touch, but I can't see them substituting even that (provided they can do it) for giving the players a concise list of objectives with a standardized format.
Old 2011-09-27, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Captain B
First Sergeant

I just realized the NC dude's upper sleeve is burberry...

New Chavlomerate? "Moon chavs, chavs on the moon..."
Old 2011-09-28, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by ZaFo711 View Post
am i the only person that over analyzed that second picture and tried to figure out what kind of base that is? lol
I immediately looked at the seemingly movable engineering elements of it, coupled with its small size, and decided "tower. Possibly deployable/constructible"

Last edited by Traak; 2011-09-28 at 01:28 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion