Weapons question - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a kick in the shins.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-03, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
InuYasha
Corporal

Weapons question

I've been flipping through the various informational websites looking for some information about the various weapons available, and I thought that I might as well ask people who have some in game experience. I was curious as to how the different pistols stack up, or more to the point, are the empire specific ones worth using over the AMP? Which ones have the largest magazine capacity, which ones can empty their magazine the fastest, which is the most accurate, which is least accurate, and things like that. I know that I could just wait until May 19th and find out for myself, but where's the fun in that?

InuYasha
Still waffling over which empire to join
Old 2003-05-03, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

well, from my experiance, the best pistol by far is the NC-Mag, it can take people out at close range very well, and I think that it does give out inf dudes a bit of help out there...
The Amp isnt bad, and is better than the scatter at a range, esp outdoors, and is a good backup gun for someone (NC) who thinks that they will be out in the open a lot, else stick with the mag

The repeater seems to me anyways like a better version of the amp, but else is used for about the same thing... Much better than the Mag at any range, but not nearly as good as it in close

I have not used the VS Beamer but 1 time, since I am NC 99% of the time and I dont get into many fights with those using it so I dont want to tell you the wrong thing...

It seems to be ok, but from my limited experiance, I do not htink that it is as good as the Mag or Rep, but I could be wrong as I have not used it or gone up against it much.

Also, no pistol is a real valid choice to a riffle, and you should only use them when you are an infletrator or dont have another short range anti-inf choice (I carry a MAG with me when I use the phoenix, and it is an ok gun for those guys that come after me once I fire my phoenix, but there is very little chance I will brong down someone with a riffle going after me)
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-05-03, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
�io
Lieutenant General

My run down from what i played :

Scatter > AMP > Repeater > Beamer
Old 2003-05-03, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
InuYasha
Corporal

Well I'm definitely glad to hear that rifles are vastly superior to pistols, I'd be very disappointed if it was any other way. The reason I ask is that I was planning on having at least one character that is an infiltrator, mostly because at the moment my FPS skills are really rusty and I might want to do something that doesn't require a lot of shooting at first. Another question I have is about the ammunition. Obviously the Vanu use energy cells instead of regular ammo, but is there a separate type of ammo for the shotgun weapons? I'm assuming yes. Magazine size might also be a concern, but really an infiltrator shouldn't be getting into firefights all too often, so that's less of a concern.
Old 2003-05-03, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

most things have their own ammo type, shotguns have shotgun ammo, normal guns have normal ammo, many of the gun's ammo can not be used elsewhere, I know that the basic riffle and the amp use the same ammo.... every rocket from here to the moon have their own ammo....

not sure on everything, most of the time I just grab a phoenix and load most of my invetory with rockets (about 9 rounds (3 boxes)), and a mag for back up and load about 30 rounds (1 box) for it and a grenade or 2.

And I find that you can carry just about all the ammo you need for most fights, cloakers are the only ones with real ammo problems, but since they dont fire too much they are ok, the only ammo problems are from the Anti-Vech weapons...

oh ya, InuYasha, "Sit Boy!" *couldnt resist *
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-05-03, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ObnoxiousFrog
Brigadier General

Here is my rifle rundown:
Cycler>Gauss>Punisher>Pulsar
This from a strictly overall perspective. Any one of these could beat any other one if used correctly and under certain conditions.

Old 2003-05-03, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
InuYasha
Corporal

Nice to know I'm not the only one that watches that show. Interesting rundown on the rifles there as well, it almost seems like the Vanu are getting the short end of the stick from some perspectives, though from what I have come to understand so far all three sides are reasonably well balanced. I simply can't wait to start playing this game, hope to see some of you in game, no matter which side everybody ends up on.

InuYasha
Old 2003-05-03, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Determinado
Corporal

seems to me rather like the VS will have to outnumber their enemies before they will get succes, they will have to surprise their enemies and use their implants more then any other side.

Tho there is one problem, the TR and NC are the most popular, as far as i know, and VS outnumbering TR or NC, aint gonna be true!

VS hasn't been covered in their war journal, i told them on the forum but well, they don't seem to get the point;
no-one wants to join the VS becus not much information is given about them, do you really think VS is that bad? Do you think the VS won't be able to take over a facility with the same speed as the TR? Well i don't think so, they will be able to do so and even worse; i think the most expierenced players will soon or later join the VS; to show how good they REALLY are...
Old 2003-05-03, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I've played an an infil quite a bit in all three empires and really don't have a lot of preference as far as a pistol goes. I've also never run into a situation when I didn't have enough ammo (unless I was just shooting at someone during a huge fight because I knew that I couldn't get anywhere to be helpful as a hacker and a lot of people were shooting, so I wouldn't be noticed.) Btw, I carry one box of ammo, my pistol, an REK, and 3 grenades most of the time when I'm an infil.

I forget about the others, but the VS pistol holds like 20 shots a clip, with 50 or 60 being in a box. As an infil, you'll find that the knife (especially in secondary mode) kills people just as fast, if not faster than the pistol. You'll still use the pistol a lot though to shoot people from behind without reveiling where you are located.

As far as the Vanu go, I don't think that they are that underpowered. Personally, I think their max is the most annoying to fight against. There's nothing like defending the entrance to a base or a stairwell, only to have three VS maxes jump over the walls and onto the roof where the control room is. Or walking into what looks like a clear room and having a max shoot you in the back because he had jumped up and was standing on top of the door frame where you couldn't see him.

Overall, I think the empires are even enough that if all the players are of even ability, the empires that they choose won't have a serious impact on the outcomeof the battle.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-05-03, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Vanu rock. The lasher is great - better than the cycler for sure. The only thing they need is a slightly faster AV weapon- but that things aggravated damage is amazing.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-05-03, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TekDragon
Contributor

The only thing they need is a slightly faster AV weapon- but that things aggravated damage is amazing
From what I heard the Lancer (AV weapon) has almost the same projectile speed as the sniper rifle and its recharge time is around a second between shots. Furthermore, i heard it is extremely effective against troops... able to knock them out in 2-3 hits.

Sounds to me like the Lancer is a very effective weapon, but i could just be misinformed.

Once i get the game i plan on going Vanu, just because they seem more like the expert players (accuracy and finesse) and i think my twitch skills would get put to get use with them.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion