Smoke grenades - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One day you will figure out that you have no life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-26, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Smoke grenades

One thing I thought lacked in PS is smoke grenades. They have many uses; breaking contact, covering flanking maneuvers, signaling, etc.

They should also be able to have the color changed on them for signaling purposes.

Just think your in an infantry wedge formation and all of a sudden mass casualty causing weapons open up on your squad. Your squad takes cover and the SL signals for retreat or breaking contact in its correct term. A few squad members lob some smoke grenades and your squad begins to bound backwards and regroup at a rally point under the cover of smoke.

I also think that this should be one of the options you could apply to vehicles. Many tanks and vehicles today have canisters mounted on them (like 8 on a M1 Bradley) that can be fired for the same purposes.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kouza
Sergeant

Re: Smoke grenades

Originally Posted by cashfoyogash View Post
One thing I thought lacked in PS is smoke grenades. They have many uses; breaking contact, covering flanking maneuvers, signaling, etc.

They should also be able to have the color changed on them for signaling purposes.

Just think your in an infantry wedge formation and all of a sudden mass casualty causing weapons open up on your squad. Your squad takes cover and the SL signals for retreat or breaking contact in its correct term. A few squad members lob some smoke grenades and your squad begins to bound backwards and regroup at a rally point under the cover of smoke.

I also think that this should be one of the options you could apply to vehicles. Many tanks and vehicles today have canisters mounted on them (like 8 on a M1 Bradley) that can be fired for the same purposes.
This would cause unwanted Lag, and would easily be put over board in an MMO. Works in call of duty (18 people throwing them) not, in a MMO where 300 are throwing them.

COD some times lags when you throw to many lol.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

sounds fun in a thought but imagine a battle with 700 people (using ps1 numbers) and lets say half of them toss smoke nades.

now we all get to wander around a cont with no vision for the next two minutes.

smoke nades in a game where a theoretical thousand plus people at the same time with such a visual item is just bad news
Old 2011-07-26, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

haha yea i guess that could create problems... I just dont know if they would be that widely used.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Smoke grenades probably wouldn't cause as much lag as you would think, a well done smoke grenade could probably be done with 5-6 polys at any given time (10,000 polys MAYBE if we had 2000 people all clumped up in one facility. If your computer cant handle 10k polygons you're not gonna be playing PS2).

The real problem has already been mentioned, being hundreds of not thousands of players all spamming them and the lack of visibility, and just general annoyance of them.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I don't buy the lag argument anymore... Might have been true in PS1's day, might still be a little bit of a drag, but they are talking about volumetric clouds as a setting that can't be toggled.

If they wanted to cut down on the number of smoke nades at any given moment, they could limit them to a class or armor type. Easy solution so not every person has access to them at all times. Could further limit them by making them an attachment to a class limited weapon.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Yeah i have to say id enjoy smoke nads, don't really care if its diferrent colors or not though. theres few tactical ways you can use smoke still
Old 2011-07-26, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
JanitOr KanOs
Private

They've said air vehicles will be able to hide in clouds. I don't see smoke 'nades being unreasonable.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Well seeing how this time around bandwidth limitations will not be as severe due to the mere fact of having 2000+ on any given continent should provide substantial empirical evidence to the contrary that somehow having counter measures or smoke screens would be a major tax on servers...

Curious to see if this could take place in other forms as well via certain weather patterns like sandstorms for instance.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
This would cause unwanted Lag, and would easily be put over board in an MMO. Works in call of duty (18 people throwing them) not, in a MMO where 300 are throwing them.

COD some times lags when you throw to many lol.
Then the game can go ahead and ignore 282 of the 300 smoke grenades tossed out in a tiny area.

As if a whole lot of people would take them over frags anyway.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Infektion
Sergeant Major

LOL, smoke grenades? you want to crash the server eh?
Old 2011-07-26, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
LOL, smoke grenades? you want to crash the server eh?
If they have clouds like they're saying they do, smoke grenades won't be a problem.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
xcel
Corporal

You people keep assuming that there technology can't handle shit, like old planetside. But let's not forget that forgelight is state of the art. They are having ragdoll physics for gods sake...I think smoke grenades are going to be just fine.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Could you imagine if 3000 people threw 1 smoke grenade?

I'm not saying the new technology couldn't handle it. It would more so be annoying as hell.
Old 2011-07-26, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I swear I've seen this thread before...

Oh right, here http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...d.php?p=576011

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2011-07-26 at 01:40 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion