Friday Night Ops Tonight - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not press the red button
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-31, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Friday Night Ops Tonight

Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
Some outfits like to pre-record so that rival outfits don't go out of their way to "mess things up".
Ya, they always do. Just saying that you usually see silliness going for attention. Also, it's a Live show, so weird.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-05-31, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
robocpf1
First Sergeant

I'm not sure I understand why there are so many people up in arms about it being pre-recorded. I feel that, if there were outfit leaders offered the choice (and to my knowledge this is the first time there has been a choice, due to recent feedback) that they would do what we did. The advantages are pretty staggering.

-We get to do ops on our own ops night instead of trying to get as many people online in short notice (for us, they gave us 48 hours notice).

-We don't have to have commanders struggle to switch between talking to the hosts and actually running the op. This makes it much easier to position the camera and focus on actually getting the footage.

-The interviewed guests can sit back and run commentary on the op while knowing in advance what's going to happen, so we're more knowledgeable and can actually give intelligent insight into what's happening. In a live situation, we can only guess on what's about to happen. If we record the ops beforehand, by the time of the interview we know what happened and we can analyze it and provide good commentary.

-"Downtime" and irrelevant footage can be edited out, resulting in a much more entertaining stream for the viewers and an action-packed reel for the outfit to actually be spotlighted.

-If there are server issues or other unforeseen technical difficulties (and I'd like to remind everyone that there were major technical difficulties both Thursday and Friday night), they can be sorted out without hurting the outfit, which has most likely waited for months to get a spotlight opportunity.

The only advantage I can see of doing it live would be the "It's Live" value. It may make the experience more "genuine" but all of the fighting was genuine in the recording. Nothing was staged, we went out and ran ops like we always do. We actually put ourselves in a situation where we were outpopped by the NC and still holding the line.

Luperza and the other FNO crew have tried very hard to incorporate players' feedback into the show, and that means experimenting with new methods to get the maximum benefit and entertainment value out of the broadcast. We in GOTR were extremely pleased with the footage, the broadcast, and the questions asked - both about our outfit and the tactics we used during the recording.

When it comes down to it, for outfits, a spotlight on FNO is a huge PR campaign. Why on Earth OR Auraxis would you want to roll the dice when you're presented with a chance to drastically increase the quality of the footage that's going to be shown of your outfit to 1000+ people?

Last edited by robocpf1; 2013-05-31 at 11:56 PM.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Broadside
Sergeant

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
I'm not sure I understand why there are so many people up in arms about it being pre-recorded. I feel that, if there were outfit leaders offered the choice (and to my knowledge this is the first time there has been a choice, due to recent feedback) that they would do what we did. The advantages are pretty staggering.

-We get to do ops on our own ops night instead of trying to get as many people online in short notice (for us, they gave us 48 hours notice).

-We don't have to have commanders struggle to switch between talking to the hosts and actually running the op. This makes it much easier to position the camera and focus on actually getting the footage.

-The interviewed guests can sit back and run commentary on the op while knowing in advance what's going to happen, so we're more knowledgeable and can actually give intelligent insight into what's happening. In a live situation, we can only guess on what's about to happen. If we record the ops beforehand, by the time of the interview we know what happened and we can analyze it and provide good commentary.

-"Downtime" and irrelevant footage can be edited out, resulting in a much more entertaining stream for the viewers and an action-packed reel for the outfit to actually be spotlighted.

-If there are server issues or other unforeseen technical difficulties (and I'd like to remind everyone that there were major technical difficulties both Thursday and Friday night), they can be sorted out without hurting the outfit, which has most likely waited for months to get a spotlight opportunity.

The only advantage I can see of doing it live would be the "It's Live" value. It may make the experience more "genuine" but all of the fighting was genuine in the recording. Nothing was staged, we went out and ran ops like we always do. We actually put ourselves in a situation where we were outpopped by the NC and still holding the line.

Luperza and the other FNO crew have tried very hard to incorporate players' feedback into the show, and that means experimenting with new methods to get the maximum benefit and entertainment value out of the broadcast. We in GOTR were extremely pleased with the footage, the broadcast, and the questions asked - both about our outfit and the tactics we used during the recording.

When it comes down to it, for outfits, a spotlight on FNO is a huge PR campaign. Why on Earth OR Auraxis would you want to roll the dice when you're presented with a chance to drastically increase the quality of the footage that's going to be shown of your outfit to 1000+ people?
Basically this. Given the option I bet BWC probably would have done the same thing for those very reasons (though I can't speak for Aleksiel or Dur13l). You can't chat and command 4 platoons at the same time, or at least not properly command them.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Understandable that they would offer pre-recordings, but the silliness is half the fun. I guess we now have the Pre-recorded and the manly crowd now. In all seriousness though, I hope it doesn't start to feel too staged.
I know it's hyperbole but I wouldn't call it the 'manly crowd'. How effective are the Devil Dogs at 3-4 AM and what kind of fights can you show off at?
This is what the European outfits have to deal with if/when they're showcased on FNO.
Either there's not a large amount of members active during the show or you get a good turnout and absolutely trounce anyone you go up against so that you look like a bunch of ninja ghost cappers. It gets to be where you're almost begging the other empires to show up so you have someone to fight.

Prerecorded is a good compromise in situations such as this and I think the footage of GotR was not only exciting but adds more depth to what can be shown of the inner workings of the outfit.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-01, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
I know it's hyperbole but I wouldn't call it the 'manly crowd'. How effective are the Devil Dogs at 3-4 AM and what kind of fights can you show off at?
This is what the European outfits have to deal with if/when they're showcased on FNO.
Either there's not a large amount of members active during the show or you get a good turnout and absolutely trounce anyone you go up against so that you look like a bunch of ninja ghost cappers. It gets to be where you're almost begging the other empires to show up so you have someone to fight.

Prerecorded is a good compromise in situations such as this and I think the footage of GotR was not only exciting but adds more depth to what can be shown of the inner workings of the outfit.
I agree with you about EU outfits and the timeframe. This is just a completely different thing than the live show. I agree, it does allow outfits the opportunity to show what they do without interference. It's just that the interference has become such a huge part of FNO it's practically tradition. I speak from the fortune that such attempts didn't even phase us. It's just that it not being live seems kind of boring and to be honest, and this will probably piss people off, but it seems kind of the wuss option. We all know if you're on FNO everyone will bring the house. That's part of the fun.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-06-01, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well written and I agree.

I'm sad that I missed this one, of all the ones to miss. Sorry Hamma

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-01 at 05:41 AM.
Old 2013-06-01, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

Well said
Old 2013-06-01, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shogun
Contributor
General

the show itself was live, and prerecorded outfit footage is ok!
we have seen quite some shows where playing live was attempted but failed miserably because of too many trolls and griefers who tried to actively break the show!

and as an outfit you want to showcase how the experience in the game will be for your players, not how you cope with trolls and griefers. after all, this is made by the developers of the game and guaranteed to be seen by many potential new members.

i liked the show how it was!
and there was room enough for silliness with the hosts and the interview partners! great fun!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-06-01 at 05:53 AM.
Old 2013-06-01, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Well written and I agree.

I'm sad that I missed this one, of all the ones to miss. Sorry Hamma
I'll allow it. The recording is up on their channel :P

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-01, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I agree with you about EU outfits and the timeframe. This is just a completely different thing than the live show. I agree, it does allow outfits the opportunity to show what they do without interference. It's just that the interference has become such a huge part of FNO it's practically tradition. I speak from the fortune that such attempts didn't even phase us. It's just that it not being live seems kind of boring and to be honest, and this will probably piss people off, but it seems kind of the wuss option. We all know if you're on FNO everyone will bring the house. That's part of the fun.
I see what you're getting at, and to a certain extent I agree. I just don't see any way to compromise beyond shifting the burden of setting up the time to record onto the outfit and allowing them to open up on the forums with that date/time.
The current setup, allowing for both prerecorded or live stream is probably the best we're going to get and I'm personally fine with it. For those who aren't, I can't offer any advice other than to skip watching a prerecorded FNO and play PS2.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion