PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Power Supply Unit?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Kayos
Corporal

Re: PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA

People are making way to big of a deal about 50-60ms.
i play games on NA and EU Servers where I get about 200ms to the EU server and have no problem at all.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
i play games on NA and EU Servers where I get about 200ms to the EU server and have no problem at all.
I don't understand why you get to decide for me what kind of ping I find acceptable?
Old 2012-06-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

lol Put the servers in nebraska

problem solved
Old 2012-06-12, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stew
Major

this will be a catastrophe for New-york people and Montreal people we are at the others end of the westcost and even more from california since its on the extrem south west and we are on the extrem north east !

Hope they will change their mind or they will put the servers in the middle of the continents at least to have everyones to get a almost fair ping !
Old 2012-06-12, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Notturno
Private

Everyone speculating that the servers will be located where SOE is, San Diego, is basing this on nothing of any substance. While I'm not an expert on the subject, I do know that most of the United States' internet piping goes through Dallas and Chicago. Physical distance has less to do with it than the actual pipe laid; having the servers in a hub like Dallas or Chicago ultimately makes the most sense. Players on both the east and west coasts will easily ping under ~150ms with your average broadband internet connection.

It's very likely this is what they are looking at. SOE probably employs several individuals who are experts on this subject, and we have a bunch of people in this thread with limited knowledge on the subject claiming doom and gloom. Chill out, there's absolutely zero reason to have any sort of panic over this before anything is even announced.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'm im Seattle and get a great ping to Dallas. I cant imagine East coast is any different.

Hell for all we know server location may not matter because they leverage peer to peer. Server might only be for correction and hit/damage/visibility confirmation while the clients send to each other all the other stuff in order to make the game playable. MMO means it isnt likely the same old shit as a session shooter.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by AvacadoEight View Post
Im assuming you're kidding, but you do realize that, if this is the case, quite a good chunk of the Eastern US won't tolerate it and quit, right? I know if they do something stupid like this I wont play. Not going to put up with dumb shit like that.
I was joking, but like I said; Beta will show how large a problem this is. I don't see how san diego servers will work for east coast people, but if the tech people think it will work, I guess we'll see. Hopefully it's not something they'll be 100% locked into if it doesn't work out, but maybe we'll all be surprised.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
WOW man if you really play game with 200 ping and you find it good i dont know whats not for you

I have 200 ping with japanease and the game is just stupid and unfair to play in those its just random bullshit and wall hack stuff

iam use to play at 30 to 60 ping MAX and i certainly do not find any ping acceptable over 80 ! even 80 can be consider as Laggy

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-13 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I ping 170 to Sandiego. I'm worried. Shooters are not playable at 170 ping.

And if I get 170 ping in game, I won't play.

I have an idea. Let's make sure SOE knows this is a big deal before it's too late (if it isn't already). If they have west coast servers, IT WILL BE LAGGY. There is no if ands or butts here. SOE doesn't have magic technology that other companies don't.
Shooters are playable at 170 ping...idk what kind of service you're running on but that's not even half a second delay.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kayos
Corporal

They will probably use some kind of Lag compensation anyway. We will see in beta if it's a big deal or not.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Meh, I sometimes get better ping to the UK than I do to Chicago, which is right down the road.

More important than regional location is location on the series of tubes.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ChargerCarl
Corporal

theres going to be lag compensation, so it won't be that big of a deal

chicago/dallas are perfectly playable here in los angeles
Old 2012-06-12, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Notturno View Post
Everyone speculating that the servers will be located where SOE is, San Diego, is basing this on nothing of any substance. While I'm not an expert on the subject, I do know that most of the United States' internet piping goes through Dallas and Chicago. Physical distance has less to do with it than the actual pipe laid; having the servers in a hub like Dallas or Chicago ultimately makes the most sense. Players on both the east and west coasts will easily ping under ~150ms with your average broadband internet connection.

It's very likely this is what they are looking at. SOE probably employs several individuals who are experts on this subject, and we have a bunch of people in this thread with limited knowledge on the subject claiming doom and gloom. Chill out, there's absolutely zero reason to have any sort of panic over this before anything is even announced.
This is what I am hoping for as best case scenario, but since it's SOE I'm going to assume Cali until we get official word.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
megamold
Second Lieutenant

you do realize that the title of this thread makes the EU people's hearts skip a beat right?
Old 2012-06-12, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
you do realize that the title of this thread makes the EU people's hearts skip a beat right?
Yeah, I figured, but I ran out of space.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion