If not Artillery, Then What About Mortar Tanks? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shrike Tested, Mosquito Approved
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-31, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

If not Artillery, Then What About Mortar Tanks?

I know that the devs are trying to stay away from artillery mainly because you're sitting far away from the battle clicking every once in a while at a target someone marks for you, but what if we had a slightly shorter range, more active version of it?

I'm thinking of mortar tanks, sort of like the Wraith in Halo but with longer range and a bit more drop to the mortar. Their place in battle would probably be a bit behind the front lines, providing supporting fire. They would have to be a bit slower and weaker than a MBT, but not too much, as they are tanks themselves and are somewhat close to the front line. Instead of shooting at lazed targets on an expanded minimap type of thing, you would actually have to aim up and account for the drop of the mortar (although the scope/crosshairs would help with that somewhat). There would be two seats, a driver one with the AA gun (or MG, if you chose that), and a gunner, who would control the mortar. This would ensure that if you wanted to solo the tank, you would be in a lot more danger, because you wouldn't be able to move quickly after firing. You would also be able to customize your different kinds of mortars, like AI or AV (and possibly larger splash/less damage variants of those).

This would hopefully provide the longer range, more tactical gameplay that many people want from artillery, but still be involving.

Sorry if that was a bit messy, I was just trying to pour all my ideas out without missing any, but what do you guys think?

EDITS: Instead of standalone mortar tanks, a mortar could be a customization for Sunderer or MBT, although speed and armor would have to change as well as just the weapon.

Last edited by GLaDOS; 2012-08-01 at 04:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gonzo
Private

Re: If not Artillery, Then What About Mortar Tanks?

Probably could have fit this in one of the existing Artillery threads, but since it's here, oh well.

I could see this sort of set up-a relatively short-range indirect fire vehicle-being put on the Sunderer. Gut the passenger compartment and punch a hole in the roof to stick the mortar through.

It would be best to keep the range fairly short-under a kilometer. I could see a mortar vehicle being used to hit enemies defending the other end of a bridge, or on the other side of a facility.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Program
Sergeant

That seems like a valid compromise, but I still would like the indirect gameplay of artillery. Something seems cool about adjusting your sights to lead a spotted tank, enter a distance/elevation, and then blow the nuggets out of a tank a half mile away.
Old 2012-07-31, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Program View Post
That seems like a valid compromise, but I still would like the indirect gameplay of artillery. Something seems cool about adjusting your sights to lead a spotted tank, enter a distance/elevation, and then blow the nuggets out of a tank a half mile away.
So would I, honestly, but the devs have mentioned (I think) that they don't want really indirect gameplay like that. Also, you'll hopefully be able to do something like that with these, although maybe not quite the same range.

A mod for the sunderer could be great, but they'd also probably need to lower the health a bit.

Also, the AA gun (not MG) that I mentioned might be a little too much, as I could see these things being very weak to air. However, they will also probably turn slowly and have a minimum range, so anything with explosives that gets around them or too close should be able to tear them apart. I seem to be arguing with myself now, though, so I'll end here.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gugabalog
Major

MBTS already fill this niche.

Light tanks are to be used in close quareters i.e. inside the battlements.

MBTS are tank destroyers mostly and are generally designed to engage at long to medium range.

I support some form of indirect fire support, but feel that Liberators already provide for sufficient heavy fire especially in numbers.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
MBTS already fill this niche.

Light tanks are to be used in close quareters i.e. inside the battlements.

MBTS are tank destroyers mostly and are generally designed to engage at long to medium range.

I support some form of indirect fire support, but feel that Liberators already provide for sufficient heavy fire especially in numbers.
I see what you mean, but I don't totally agree with you. MBTs can be very effective against infantry and tanks in closer ranges, and their high firepower and health mean that they're ideal for leading a charge on the front lines. Also, they can't provide the same long-range support as a mortar tank could, as a mortar can, to some extent, get over cover and hit whatever's behind it, but a tank shell flies relatively straight.

The Liberators do provide heavy fire support, but it would be reasonable to have a ground vehicle that can do so to. Furthermore, Libs need to be directly above their target, or close enough, to do maximum damage, so they don't provide the same *indirect* fire support that mortar tanks do.

EDIT: I guess a mortar tank-style could become a cert for a MBT, but I would prefer (mostly because they would look cool) a dedicated mortar tank.

Last edited by GLaDOS; 2012-08-01 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gugabalog
Major

Out of curiosity, what do you think could substitute for unmanned drones and remain within the realm of direct combat?

An AWACS style Galaxy or a Liberator with the belly cannon instead being used as a scanner/camera?
Old 2012-08-01, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Program
Sergeant

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
So would I, honestly, but the devs have mentioned (I think) that they don't want really indirect gameplay like that. Also, you'll hopefully be able to do something like that with these, although maybe not quite the same range.

A mod for the sunderer could be great, but they'd also probably need to lower the health a bit.

Also, the AA gun (not MG) that I mentioned might be a little too much, as I could see these things being very weak to air. However, they will also probably turn slowly and have a minimum range, so anything with explosives that gets around them or too close should be able to tear them apart. I seem to be arguing with myself now, though, so I'll end here.
I know they don't want indirect gameplay, but I do. Didn't they say something about being able to play your way? It's also funny that you mention the Sunderer having a cert for an arty turret, because it did in the original Planetside. However, I think both arty and mortar tanks are valid ideas, but we'll have to see what the devs do.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gugabalog
Major

Why not use bulletdrop to simulate shelling?
Old 2012-08-01, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

MBTs more than fulfill the Artillery role.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SexyTRex
Private

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I see what you mean, but I don't totally agree with you. MBTs can be very effective against infantry and tanks in closer ranges, and their high firepower and health mean that they're ideal for leading a charge on the front lines. Also, they can't provide the same long-range support as a mortar tank could, as a mortar can, to some extent, get over cover and hit whatever's behind it, but a tank shell flies relatively straight.

The Liberators do provide heavy fire support, but it would be reasonable to have a ground vehicle that can do so to. Furthermore, Libs need to be directly above their target, or close enough, to do maximum damage, so they don't provide the same *indirect* fire support that mortar tanks do.

EDIT: I guess a mortar tank-style could become a cert for a MBT, but I would prefer (mostly because they would look cool) a dedicated mortar tank.
An indirect fire upgrade for MBTs would be pretty damn cool.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gugabalog
Major

Ya. A BLOS cannon would be neat for MBTs.
Old 2012-08-01, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Why not use bulletdrop to simulate shelling?
What exactly do you mean by this? A mortar would basically just be a big, explosive bullet that would be more effected by the bulletdrop (cause of its weight).

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
MBTs more than fulfill the Artillery role.
How so?

Originally Posted by SexyTRex View Post
An indirect fire upgrade for MBTs would be pretty damn cool.
Yeah. I'll add that and the Sundy mod idea to the OP.
Old 2012-08-01, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Foe
Private

Old 2012-08-01, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Out of curiosity, what do you think could substitute for unmanned drones and remain within the realm of direct combat?

An AWACS style Galaxy or a Liberator with the belly cannon instead being used as a scanner/camera?
Oops, sorry, forgot to reply to this (even though it is a bit off topic). The problem with both is that they're somewhat resource-costly (especially the Galaxy), while a drone should be pretty cheap. They're also huge targets. If I only had those options to choose from, it would probably be the Lib, with a radar boost thrown in, seeing how it's smaller and cheaper.

Also, Foe, for some reason your picture isn't loading on my screen. Is there any way you could maybe link to it or just tell me what it is?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault