Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here*** - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Siege the Zerg Lair!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-03, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Here's my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7

Processor: i5 2410m 2.4ghz overclock to ~3.0ghz

Video Card: Nvidia GT 540m

RAM: 6GB

Motherboard: Asus K53sv something or another.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Here's my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7

Processor: i5 2410m 2.4ghz overclock to ~3.0ghz

Video Card: Nvidia GT 540m

RAM: 6GB

Motherboard: Asus K53sv something or another.
I would say you are going to be on lower settings. GPU is the issue not CPU. Gonna have to wait for beta for a proper feel out.
Old 2012-07-04, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
nattpyre
Private

Got the following (lower budget) gear, assembled about a year ago.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Mainboard: Asus M4A87TD (AMD 870 chipset)
8 GB RAM (DDR3)
Nvidia GeForce GTX460

I guess this should be good enough to get 1080p in a decent quality.
What do you think? I'm not into that tuning and pimping for ultra superperfect quality at 200fps, but e.g. BF3 is running great at Very High quality in 1920x1080.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Yeah that should be good.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-05, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Duke
Private

What's psu's take on AMD's Trinity APU? Could it potentially be a cost effective way to play decently?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...u,3241-11.html
Old 2012-07-05, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Duke View Post
What's psu's take on AMD's Trinity APU? Could it potentially be a cost effective way to play decently?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...u,3241-11.html
I wouldn't TBH. If you are really crash strapped this CPU and GPU will give a better PS2 experience I am almost sure of. Comparing the current pricing on the top of the line AMD CPU for $120 vs this combo for $150 will net you a lot better performance for $30 more. I would only be looking into a Trinity for a cheap laptop that can play games ok to a a wicked small form factor case that you cannot use a regular gpu with. Desktop doesn't really have space for these IMO.
Old 2012-07-05, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I wouldn't TBH. If you are really crash strapped this CPU and GPU will give a better PS2 experience I am almost sure of. Comparing the current pricing on the top of the line AMD CPU for $120 vs this combo for $150 will net you a lot better performance for $30 more. I would only be looking into a Trinity for a cheap laptop that can play games ok to a a wicked small form factor case that you cannot use a regular gpu with. Desktop doesn't really have space for these IMO.
I agree. The only place an AMD APU really makes sense is a laptop, or something that is otherwise in a quite tiny form factor. Trinity improves on what AMD has learned from Llano, but if you're serious about gaming, almost any entry-level discrete card will give you better performance. I guess, in a way, you could think of the APU as being THE most entry-level graphics you can have, but what makes it attractive as a mobile solution is the fact that it doesn't get gimped anywhere near to the same extent as what the discrete mobile chipsets do.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-06, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I totaly agree Trinity really is a laptop/small form factor chip only (wins this segment hands down in my eyes)

I don't think it will play PS2 in anything other than low/rock bottom settings.

But If you really only have $120 for CPU+GPU it is the best.

I think for $120 you cant get a better CPU and a better GPU from an intel+nvidia combo.

Most review/previews I have seen show you need a Intel Core i3-2100 before you beat Trinities CPU That i3 is $120 for just the CPU. (although the G850 for $90 can do better in single thread).

Trinities GPU is about the same as a Radeon HD 6570, a GTS 430 /620 gets beaten by the 6570 for $60, a GTS 450 should beat trinity for $70

So $150 (125%) to be on par with trinity and $190 (158%) to convincingly beat it.

So Trinity is great for $120 But yeh who cant find another $50 to then blow it out the water.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Shadows
Private

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard
core 2 duo E6700 conroe 2.66GHz
9800GTX
4 gigs DDR2 800

Haven't played any games on it in a few years so I can't say how it holds up with anything new...just hoping it doesn't choke on ps2.

Is my motherboard too old for any upgrades that are worth a shit?

Using a 22 inch tv for a monitor right now, but when I set it to 1920x1080 it just looks...off. Been keeping it at 1360x768 and it looks good. My last display was the same size, but a monitor, and looked great at 1680x1050 (think that was the res). Are TVs not as good as a PC display or am I doing something wrong?

I also have my old 8800gt laying around. Would I see any benefit throwing it in there and running it SLI with the other card? I've heard mixed opinions on running non-identical dual video cards. I've never done anything but single cards myself though.

Thanks for any advice.

*edit* using XP 32 bit

Last edited by Shadows; 2012-07-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard
core 2 duo E6700 conroe 2.66GHz
9800GTX
4 gigs DDR2 800

Haven't played any games on it in a few years so I can't say how it holds up with anything new...just hoping it doesn't choke on ps2.

Is my motherboard too old for any upgrades that are worth a shit?

Using a 22 inch tv for a monitor right now, but when I set it to 1920x1080 it just looks...off. Been keeping it at 1360x768 and it looks good. My last display was the same size, but a monitor, and looked great at 1680x1050 (think that was the res). Are TVs not as good as a PC display or am I doing something wrong?

I also have my old 8800gt laying around. Would I see any benefit throwing it in there and running it SLI with the other card? I've heard mixed opinions on running non-identical dual video cards. I've never done anything but single cards myself though.

Thanks for any advice.

*edit* using XP 32 bit
Your system is what will probably end up being listed as the minimum requirements. You'll be able to try out the gameplay, but not much else.

Your direct upgrade paths include a Core2 Quad Q8300 (or better) and pretty much anything up to a GTX 570 - at $180+ for the CPU and $150+ for the GPU. This would not require that you buy anything other than the CPU and GPU. Often times, the power supply is also something that ends up being replaced, but if you already have a 9800 GTX in there, it can probably handle anything else we throw at it with no sweat. If you're considering an upgrade, feel free to make your own thread so we can help you find the right parts and make sure everything will fit before you order.

As far as SLI: there's a couple things you have to watch out for here.

First, there's microstuttering - a phenomenon that happens on both SLI and Crossfire; read about it here. In a nutshell, in an SLI/XFire configuration, each card is tasked with rendering alternating frames, and sometimes, one card can take longer to render the frame than the previous card, making each frame's screen time unequal. E.g. at 100 fps, each frame should occupy the screen for 10 ms, but due to microstuttering, frame 1 might stay there for 15 ms while frame 2 appears for only 5 ms. The average is still 100 FPS, but to us humans, it appears as much lower. This issue is more aggravated when the two (or three) GPUs are dissimilar.

Second, both of those cards are pretty big power hogs. I wouldn't recommend having both of them in there unless you have a 750+ W power supply.

If you're wanting to put both of them to work (and have the PSU to do it), I'd recommend using the 8800GT as a dedicated PhysX card rather than an SLIed mate. Alternatively, you can do the same with the 9800 GTX and a new GPU (if you end up upgrading).

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-06, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

9800 GTX and 8800 GT cannot be SLIed. Two different GPUs. Best case is using the 8800 GT as a ded physx card if PS2 makes use of it.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Shadows
Private

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Your system is what will probably end up being listed as the minimum requirements. You'll be able to try out the gameplay, but not much else.

Your direct upgrade paths include a Core2 Quad Q8300 (or better) and pretty much anything up to a GTX 570 - at $180+ for the CPU and $150+ for the GPU. This would not require that you buy anything other than the CPU and GPU. Often times, the power supply is also something that ends up being replaced, but if you already have a 9800 GTX in there, it can probably handle anything else we throw at it with no sweat. If you're considering an upgrade, feel free to make your own thread so we can help you find the right parts and make sure everything will fit before you order.

As far as SLI: there's a couple things you have to watch out for here.

First, there's microstuttering - a phenomenon that happens on both SLI and Crossfire; read about it here. In a nutshell, in an SLI/XFire configuration, each card is tasked with rendering alternating frames, and sometimes, one card can take longer to render the frame than the previous card, making each frame's screen time unequal. E.g. at 100 fps, each frame should occupy the screen for 10 ms, but due to microstuttering, frame 1 might stay there for 15 ms while frame 2 appears for only 5 ms. The average is still 100 FPS, but to us humans, it appears as much lower. This issue is more aggravated when the two (or three) GPUs are dissimilar.

Second, both of those cards are pretty big power hogs. I wouldn't recommend having both of them in there unless you have a 750+ W power supply.

If you're wanting to put both of them to work (and have the PSU to do it), I'd recommend using the 8800GT as a dedicated PhysX card rather than an SLIed mate. Alternatively, you can do the same with the 9800 GTX and a new GPU (if you end up upgrading).
Thanks a lot for the information...I really appreciate it. The same goes to you, Goku. I've made a post about some tech issues i'm having and questions about possible upgrades and would love you guys' input here: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...131#post773131
Old 2012-07-09, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Some new info:

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

It is fair to say this is going to be a higher spec game than most. A core 2 duo with an 8800gt isn't going to be fun
Alot of people better start upgrading if they want to have an enjoyable experience.
Old 2012-07-09, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Thank you Numba! I am glad SOE is taking advantage of hardware...
Old 2012-07-09, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Thank you Numba! I am glad SOE is taking advantage of hardware...
Amen.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum