News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: S'all pink!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-05, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
this

SOE, please let me log into my account with the PlayStation 4 version of PlanetSide. Let my SC unlocks carry over to my PS4 characters. Also allow for PC players to gift items to PS4 players.

I'd almost ask for my PC characters to be able to play on a PS4 server if I am playing on a PS4.
Yes! This needs to happen. I have so many console friends and a ton of PC friends. I would love to be able to hop between and play with both groups while still having all my unlocks, purchases, and certs.
Old 2013-06-05, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Hamma
PSU Admin

Vid is on YT now, updated OP:

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-05, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Yeah that vid is indeed well done and can't wait for E3 this year. Should be full of Planetside 2 goodness.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Well I know I will start sending this to my friends and posting in forums to invite people to try this on the PC NOW instead of waiting for the PS4.

One overshadowing concern I do have about the PS4 news is that once major FPS made there way onto consoles they were significantly dumbed down and cater to console players and eventually dumbed down the PC version......see COD & Battlefield for example....I hope history does not repeat with PS2...

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-06-05 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

So... let me get this straight. We, the PC crowd, have been essentially beta-testing the bugger for the console-jockeys and financing it --and, by extension, them -- with our own money for the past eight months. That's why it was released too early, that's why maps and gameplay alike are still in beta-esque constant upheaval, and that's why the devs have been so sanguine about the state of the game despite all our yelling and hair-pulling. It doesn't need to be stable and the advertising blitz doesn't need to be in place until the PS4 comes out.

I'm okay with this. My God, the glorious battles we're going to have. OH MY GOD. YES.

/salutes

(EDIT: They better introduce a cooldown timer on empire-switching by then, though. Like a twelve-hour one. Seriously. Mother of sweating Jesus. Can you imagine thousands of teenagers going LOLNO THIS SUX and swapping sides on the fly every afternoon? And don't gimme that crap about how they can run multiple clients, because they'd need multiple PS4's.)

EDIT #2: Well, so much for the joyousness. Smed's tweeting that PC and PS4 players will be on different servers. No cross-platform reinforcements for us. No showing the crowds of newbies the ropes. No passing the torch.

Fuck.

/slumps

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-05 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
One overshadowing concern I do have about the PS4 news is that once major FPS made there way onto consoles they were significantly dumbed down and then catered to console players and eventually dumbed down the PC version......see COD & Battlefield for example....I hope history does not repeat with PS2...
That's my main concern as well, although I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as dumbing down, not always the case, but conforming to hardware/periphal limitations.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Shogun
Contributor
General

thanks 4 the youtube video, i couldn´t access the original videolink due to the mysterious curse on my laptop

wow this time soe has the trailer nailed!
it took a long time, but now even the public relation guys seem to know what the game is about

and they finally succeeded in communicating this in a trailer!
Milestone!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-05, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
That's my main concern as well, although I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as dumbing down, not always the case, but conforming to hardware/periphal limitations.
BF2 and BF2142 were miles deeper in gameplay than BF3 and the PS3/Xbox-360 would have no problem running BF2 or BF2142 hardware wise, heck even BF1942 was much deeper gameplay wise.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-06-05 at 03:20 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I really really want this to be cross platform. Soe make this happen.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
NoblesseOblige
Private

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I really really want this to be cross platform. Soe make this happen.
Yeah I'm kind of bummed to learn that's "not likely," according to Smed (thanks Hamma.) A huge influx of players to the same servers would have been nice, but I can see how that could be a problem. Oh well, fingers crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm still looking forward to E3. I can see Planetside 2 being a big selling point for the PS4. Even if it isn't the same platform, the concept of playing PS2 on a console is already somewhat tempting me to be invested. Now, if they can keep their heads on straight about used games and always online DRM, they will basically win the next console generation.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
What I want to know is if my PC account can be used on PS4. If so when the new consoles come out I will get a PS4 just to play with all my console only friends. If the accounts are completely separate then I could careless about PS2 on PS4 other than the exposure and can't wait for these console players to get their minds blown by Planetside 2 when they compare it to Call of Duty or Battlefield. I used to love Battlefield for the big battles that felt like actual wars.. now after Planetside 2 Battlefield feels so small and isolated.
This, If I can't use my character on the PS4 version, I probably won't play it alot...

Anyway great news! Curious how it is going to run and look like!
Old 2013-06-05, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

BF2 and BF2142 were miles deeper in gameplay than BF3 and the PS3/Xbox-360 would have no problem running BF2 or BF2142 hardware wise, heck even BF1942 was much deeper gameplay wise.
So what if the previous console generation would have been able to run BF2 and BF2142. Neither of those ran on the Frostbite engine. Silly comparison since they would also have been able to run BF1942.
Like I wrote console version aren't always just "dumbed down", the gamepad itself is limited when compared to M&K.
The PC version of BF3 is cearly superior to the console version because of the hardware limitations, yet it was still largely designed around the consoles (They switched lead platform mid way through development). It would have been a better game if it had been developed primarily for the PC and ported to the console. At least for us PC owners.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
So what if the previous console generation would have been able to run BF2 and BF2142. Neither of those ran on the Frostbite engine. Silly comparison since they would also have been able to run BF1942.
Like I wrote console version aren't always just "dumbed down", the gamepad itself is limited when compared to M&K.
The PC version of BF3 is cearly superior to the console version because of the hardware limitations, yet it was still largely designed around the consoles (They switched lead platform mid way through development). It would have been a better game if it had been developed primarily for the PC and ported to the console. At least for us PC owners.
I guess were looking at it from 2 different perspectives, I am talking about gameplay and you seem to be talking about graphics. BF3 looks great, but the gameplay and depth is straight up crap compared to previous BF titles. Either way I am concerned....not to mention the first time there is a PS4 only exclusive I'm sure the forums will errupt lol.

DICE's LIES about "switching platforms" (consoles were always the lead) and the lack of depth in BF3 are why I left BF3 after a few months and find myself in PS2, I can't be more thankful PS2 exists.
Old 2013-06-05, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

not to mention the first time there is a PS4 only exclusive I'm sure the forums will errupt lol.
They have zero incentive to care about what we think at this point. The mass-console market is the target audience. Not us. Smed just made that plain.

Three years from now we'll be playing Indarside on two servers while the console servers number a dozen and are buzzing with activity. And if we want to join them, we won't be able to import our existing characters. To hell with us and the money we've spent.

Ah, well. Down the hatch.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-05 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
They have zero incentive to care about what we think at this point. The mass-console market is the target audience. Not us. Smed just made that plain.

Three years from now we'll be playing Indarside on two servers while the console servers number a dozen and are buzzing with activity. Ah well. Down the hatch.
Hmm, SOE still has to prove themselves. DCUO was originally terrible on PS3 and the PC version was superior. I don't know the state of either right now.. but beta for PS3 version was terrible.

We don't know how well the PS4 will run PS2 yet. I hope they can make it work correctly. I wouldn't call doom and gloom for computers. We will get more pc gamers playing just because they hear all the console players talking about it and they may not want a console, but didn't know about the game for PC.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion