Spitfires - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better then the subway diet
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-09-29, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Spitfires

So I posted a thread in the PS2 beta forums on Spitfires, and figured I might as well post it here too, so here goes:

"So there have been a few threads (that died pretty quickly, sadly) about how the Engineer needs more toys, including autoturrets. Now for those of you who say that things like that are terrible in a game and require no skill, etc., let me tell you this. PS2 is both a twith skill-based shooter and a tactical shooter. If you have worse aim than someone but ambush them, you'll win, providing you can aim at all. If spitfires return in a similar fashion to PS1, they'll just emphasize the importance of tactics, which is fine. In PS1, you could place a fair amount of turrets (too much for PS2, but I'll get into that later), but they sort of sucked, they were very frail and could only kill you if you paid no attention. They also had to be place a certain distance away from each other. If you were a tactical idiot and just stuck them everywhere, you were a hell of a lot less effective than someone who thought and put care into sticking their little turrets in just the right places. Therefore, you needed to be skillful in order to kill people with turrets, just in a different way than shooting someone normally.

So now that we've cleared that up (I'm sure there will be NO replies arguing about it ), how should our beloved spitfires work? I think that they should be similar to PS1 in their effectiveness, and also require a distance between them, but we shouldn't be able to place quite as many. Possibly starting with 2, maybe 3, and certable up to about 5. (note: by "starting" I mean with the first cert, which should be somewhat expensive. You should have to specialize as an Engineer to lay these down, to prevent spam. Certs increasing the amount deployable should be cheaper than the initial one, but not cheap) I'm not sure if they should have a resource cost, as manned turrets do not, and I feel like if they do, it should be a bit less than a grenade, considering that they're not particularly effective. You would obviously have to give up your manned turret if you chose to have these. They should have rather limited range as well.

So now for my final idea. In one of those threads I mentioned, someone (I'm not sure who) said something about having empire specific spitfires. I think this is pretty awesome, and I have some ideas for what they could be. I'm not going to try to come up with names, though, because I'll just embarrass myself.

TR Spitfire: A rapid fire chaingun type thing, capable of the highest DPS (in most situations) but with the lowest health. Pretty similar to the OG Spitfire, except MOAR BULLETZ, as is the TR way.

NC Spitfire: A sort of semi-auto shotgun type thing. This would be okay, though, since all turrets have limited range and it would have a rather tight spread to make it pretty much equally effective throughout its entire range. It would have equal DPS (or maybe just barely lower for balance reasons) to the TR Spitfire at point blank, and somewhat lower beyond that. However, it's shotgun nature would give it the highest burst damage, so if you turned a corner, saw one and an enemy or three, said "oh ****!" and jumped back around while it only got one shot off at you, it would do more damage than the TR Spitfire would.

VS Spitfire: Shoots a continuous laser. Lower DPS than both other turrets, although not by *too* much, but can be placed on walls/ceilings. This is probably the best way to show manuveurability (**** I can't spell) in a turret, and can allow for some interesting placements by creative VS CE'ers. Like the Magrider and Scythe (ideally, regardless of how they are now), it would require a bit more thought to use it's advantages well, but could be very useful once those are mastered.

So, any feedback? Also, if you are going to say "No, automated things don't belong in PvP, they require no skill, blah blah blah," please make some effort to disprove my argument on that."

Ideas, anyone?
Old 2012-09-29, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crator
Major General

Re: Spitfires

I'm cool with spits being in the game. They should give players neat counters to them though. For instance give one of the classes and possibly one of the air vehicles a cert that gives them a weapon that can shoot multiple ordinance at the same time and locks on to the spits heat signature (heat signature only effective if the spit is shooting at the time).
Old 2012-09-29, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gugabalog
Major

+support

I like the VS idea, maybe we could give the NC some more armor too? And give the TR turret a faster turn rate since th VS get the wall stuff?
Old 2012-09-29, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
+support

I like the VS idea, maybe we could give the NC some more armor too? And give the TR turret a faster turn rate since th VS get the wall stuff?
Woops, I thought I had written that the NC gets more armor. I definitely agree with that. The TR turn rate sounds good too.
Old 2012-09-29, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raka Maru
Major

I fully agree. Automation does not break gameplay and does make for very good tactics.
Old 2012-10-01, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

+1, I would love to see Spitfires make it back into the game.
Old 2012-10-02, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant

...as a PS2 career engineer, I approve this message!
Old 2012-10-02, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Mines and spitfires were good at slowing the enemy down, for defense, they rarely killed anything. That is as long as there was no I-win button that instantly destroys all CE within a 500 meter radius.
Old 2012-10-07, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
theknits
Private

Killing turrets just seems like another bothersome chore that comes between me and what I enjoy (killing people). Fighting a turret is anything but rewarding. Clearly as a human you should triumph over a stationary ai controlled automated gun with finite range. Sure it gives people without the ability to manually aim a gun something else to do but at the cost of slowing down gameplay for everyone else.
Old 2012-10-07, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by theknits View Post
Killing turrets just seems like another bothersome chore that comes between me and what I enjoy (killing people). Fighting a turret is anything but rewarding. Clearly as a human you should triumph over a stationary ai controlled automated gun with finite range. Sure it gives people without the ability to manually aim a gun something else to do but at the cost of slowing down gameplay for everyone else.
I fail to see how your fun takes priority over other's fun.
Old 2012-10-07, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
theknits
Private

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
I fail to see how your fun takes priority over other's fun.
Well given the fact that the game is advertised as a 1st person shooter and not some kind of tower defense game I think its safe to say that most of the people drawn to the game are present primarily because they enjoy shooting people.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Well given the fact that the game is advertised as a 1st person shooter and not some kind of tower defense game I think its safe to say that most of the people drawn to the game are present primarily because they enjoy shooting people.
Good things it's not just an FPS. It's a MMOFPS.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
theknits
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Good things it's not just an FPS. It's a MMOFPS.
Right massively multiplayer. Suggesting it has many people to kill.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Crator
Major General

Right massively multiplayer. Suggesting it has many people to kill.
Correct, with many ways to do it. Giving game-play options is always a good thing to retain more players then normal. Something that equals massive in the end.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

There's a whole bunch of games out there where you can "shoot people".

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault