Thoughts on PS4 getting PS2, and why it's an awesome thing - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stay here, if i'm not back in 5 minutes... Wait longer!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-08, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Fuse
Sergeant

Re: Thoughts on PS4 getting PS2, and why it's an awesome thing

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
No.

It means there will be enough players to continue to have future expansions.
If people on the PC don't want to play the game what makes you think the PS2 will be any different once the new game smell wears off?
Old 2013-06-08, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Ps4 is about as powerfull as a budget amd gaming pc. Bring ps2 to it only limits future expansion.
99% of future expansion will be built within the confines of the specifications that SOE has made for the game when it launched in 2012. They won't be increasing server size or complexity of scenes rendered. Gameplay scripting changes and stuff that can radically improve the game doesn't require more power. The only thing that will really have to increase is the server hardware as they track more data at once.

The PS4 has more than enough RAM and CPU power for any future upgrades to this game.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
If people on the PC don't want to play the game what makes you think the PS2 will be any different once the new game smell wears off?
At least people won't be leaving because of performance issues, or at the very least be far less likely.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-08, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shogun
Contributor
General

i don´t believe in performance boost for pc ps2 until i see it.

multicore usage is one thing that could help with performance, but getting rid of downward compatibility to older pcs nobody would use to play ps2 anyhow, would help a lot more.
none of my friends play ps2 because they consider it unplayable on their machines, and they all play bf3 on their machines.
so why are we running on 32 bit and dx9?

and most optimisation for the ps4 will have no effect on the pc version, or it will have negative effects for a lot of pcs.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-08, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post

Was that an intentionally stupid troll attempt?

In case it wasnt.

PS4 has a huge player base much larger than the player base with gaming computers.
If you can pull players from an additional group you didnt have access to before you will end up with a larger playerbase.
Old 2013-06-08, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sarloh
Corporal

Well, I can say that they could make 2 kinds of servers now. I would presume that fighting with a controller is harder that using a mouse and keyboard. So there could be 2 kinds of servers; one kind only for PS players only and one for PS and PC players combined.
Old 2013-06-08, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

The constant ignorance that somehow PS4 means the PC version will be left behind and/or performance will suffere are rather sad.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-08, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Sifer2
Major

I agree totally with Mastachief on this really. He is absolutely right that there is very little chance SOE is going to make two different versions of this game when it's cheaper an more profitable to only make one. This means that 4 years for now we don't get things like expanded draw distance, higher pop caps, bigger continents, maybe even not stuff like higher poly soldier models, or the bastion fleet carriers. If the PS4 cannot handle these things I highly doubt we will get them period.

I was really hoping that they were going to do a spin off game. Use the Forgelight engine to develop another game in the Planetside universe. Maybe set on a different planet or one of Auraxis moons. They could even have linked the two game worlds with PS4 players being able to ship resources to Planetside 2 for the war on Auraxis, and vice versa. But the fact they didn't do this, and are just going for a straight port makes me thing they intend to really focus on PS4 development, and then keep the PC version the same as it from now on. PC getting the multiplatform scraps as usual.
Old 2013-06-10, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
HoboJAck
Private

i already have a $1000 tower that plays all my other games except planetside 2 well. unfortunately to upgrade i would have to replace everything so i'm looking at around a 1600 dollar system just to run this game with decent frames. if the playstation runs planetside well and will be under 800 (hearing rumors that it will even be sub 600 dollars but i doubt it) plus the ps4 will be a media center/blueray player/ smart tv which i need to get one of those anyway then i will probably pick up a playstation 4 and stop playing the pc version all together.

the major hurdle i think the playstation 4 will have is the sense of community is majorly lacking from console gaming. trying to get a platoon of 50 people to all work under the same goal will be hard to do i can really see the PlayStation community kill this game because it will be full of the majority yolo-soloing (wich the PC version is almost to that point already) planetside is a game that is fun lone wolfing but is only fun when you have large very orginized groups fighting other large orginized groups and if nobody experiences that on the ps4 then the game will tank. I hope SOE can do something to help encourage both the pc and ps4 ps2 players to group up and work togethre.
Old 2013-06-10, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The constant ignorance that somehow PS4 means the PC version will be left behind and/or performance will suffere are rather sad.
I agree but I guess the gaming world has been bitten by this in the past so people are wary. From analyzing Sirisian's PS2 population graph, the game has basically found it's leveling off point quite some time ago. The way I see it, this PS4 attention to the game can do nothing but help.
Old 2013-06-10, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

I never understood people that don't want the game to be expanded to other mediums. More players means more potential revenue for the company, which means increased longevity of the game as well as more frequent updates.

I for one think it would be awesome to combine both platforms on one server. If PS4 can do that with cross platform play, it will give microsoft a run for their money on their Xbox One (which I don't think will do well).

More players in the game world, mean increased likelihood of bigger fights which is what PS/PS2 is all about.

This is especially true if the game population has capped off some where as well.

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
Old 2013-06-10, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by FireWater View Post
I never understood people that don't want the game to be expanded to other mediums. More players means more potential revenue for the company, which means increased longevity of the game as well as more frequent updates.
That last bit is not true. Console patches require separate certifications for QA purposes. Those certifications cost money to undertake. So it costs the developper money and it takes extra time to complete.

In other multi-platform games, this meant FEWER patches. Like once every 2-3 months. Compare that to PS2's bi-weekly patches, and it's a HUGE difference.

I've said this before: SOE needs to learn from other developers mistakes. Keep the development on the PC. Patch the PC frequently to achieve balance. Once everything is working and the numbers show some sort of balance (even if the forums are crying OP/UP), THEN you filter down to the console. Trying to do both at the same time has proven to be a PR disaster already with other games.
Old 2013-06-10, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Did you guys happen to see the Xbox press conference? Was kinda disappointing for me. Just more of the same games and genres but more refined for better hardware. With SOE being under SCE and this Sony they will clearly have an advantage with adopting MMO's to consoles. Looking forward to the PS4 presentation later tonight (9PM EDT I believe).
Old 2013-06-10, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shogun
Contributor
General

why is this thread still unlocked?

didn´t hamma make the megathread to get rid of all the numerous ps2onps4 threads?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-10, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
That last bit is not true. Console patches require separate certifications for QA purposes. Those certifications cost money to undertake. So it costs the developper money and it takes extra time to complete.

In other multi-platform games, this meant FEWER patches. Like once every 2-3 months. Compare that to PS2's bi-weekly patches, and it's a HUGE difference.

I've said this before: SOE needs to learn from other developers mistakes. Keep the development on the PC. Patch the PC frequently to achieve balance. Once everything is working and the numbers show some sort of balance (even if the forums are crying OP/UP), THEN you filter down to the console. Trying to do both at the same time has proven to be a PR disaster already with other games.
I hear what you are saying, however I think in this instance, Sony owns both the console and the game. Therefore they would just be enforcing rules on themselves. Also if they are planning to have other MMOs on the PS4 (which there is some buzz regarding that) then I think they would have to relax their strigent patching requirements, as MMOs in general get frequent updates.

If they aren't willing to loosen those restrictions, I'm not sure how any MMO is going to survive on the PS4

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion