Welcome Back - We want your feedback! - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's Hamma!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
BorHblK
Private

Re: Welcome Back - We want your feedback!

looks good, but in 1st looks like to big for me

Last edited by BorHblK; 2012-03-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Kipper
Captain

Modern and clean.... me like!
Old 2012-03-19, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Arteste
Private

Awesome job! Looks like everyone's getting ramped up for PS2! SO PSYCHED!

Respectfully,
Arteste
Old 2012-03-19, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Much better than before guys. MUCH better.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
FHMathew
Corporal

Excellent work the site looks fantastic, I wish Our [F|H] site would get updated soon its OLD lol. Great work by the PSU team !

Last edited by FHMathew; 2012-03-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm referring to this (highlighted in red)
http://imgur.com/qY6Bi

It's a bit large and the way the background image has poor contrast with the selector at the bottom since the list of stories is overlayed. To help the selector show up at the bottom I'm suggestion dimming the image so its' a little darker and it draws out the selector.

I think the size could be reduced to about 2/3 what it is now. Ideally on my screen like in the image I should see the VIP posts and at least the first news article fully on one screen without having to scroll.

I think if you moved the selector list from the bottom of that area to the right side and stacked them one on top of the other it would increase readability and allow you to shrink the overall size of the space while giving a decent size for the story images.
Thanks Malorn! Great feedback - we will make some tweakage on that front. Gryphon actually started doing it with the selectors on the right but we were running out of time and just implemented what we had from the concept. Gryphon has a pretty sweet image selector I think we will utilize instead at some point in the near future.

Originally Posted by Sardus View Post
Looks good guys! is there going to be an outfit database like before?
I know you already found this But yep - in fact we still have the data just need to implement the pages.

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
Some problems with the page width: On widescreen monitors, the background image doesn't fill the whole page. Setting the background div's width to 100% and allowing the background image to tile would resolve this issue. Meanwhile, on small monitors, the page is just a bit too wide. I'm not sure what web developers shoot for these days, but it seems like most sites still work on 1280x1024 screens; the new layout here is about 50 pixels too wide for such a resolution.
We actually did some research on this front before settling on 1080 size, only about 3% of our traffic in the past year has been 1024x768 or lower. We can't really shrink it easily due to the way the various blocks are defined to fit 4 across perfectly.

Originally Posted by KALU View Post
"no more sigs " ??
This forum has sigs disabled

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Talking of names, Hamma's/Gryphon's green names look terrible with this colourscheme, while Mani's/Jenny's pale blue and THrONe's/Malorn's yellow look awesome.
Good point! I will get this more uniform this morning.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
edit: just found something i would like to see improved.
your pic viewer had the nice option to click on the pic to get the fullsize view. i would like to have this feature on the pic-library. example: when i click on the twitter lib in the homescreen-pictureframe i want to be able to see the pics in there at maximum size. but i can only open the pics in small overlay windows.
We intend to bring this back for sure. Should come back fairly soon.

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Hm, in with phone right now, not seeing any sigs, is that intended
This forum has sigs disabled.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-19, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Disclaimer: You asked for honest feed back and while the site is well done I'm having issues with parts.

Big teal gradient in the background does not move with the scroll and just stays at the top and looks very off.

There's a big problem on the front page. People look at webpages with their eyes like a giant F. The left side is the first thing people look at. On the front page the left side has links/vip/TS boxes while on the right are the large news boxes. Those need to be flipped. Feels like the news is secondary right now to my eyes.

Seems that people come to PSU for two reasons; first: News, second: Community. The front page has the community stuff sitting on top of the juicy news.

The giant rotating image bugs me. It's very much a distraction and unfortunately I keep seeing similar boxes show up on other sites' home pages. I understand they're for getting more content in a smaller space but they make reading a pain as I've been trained to always look for movement. Text doesn't move, the giant image does. Suggest removing the giant scrolling image but keeping the inset boxes with the smaller images.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Purple
Sergeant Major

looks great. nice work.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'd say we have gotten enough feedback on the front page image rotator to make some tweaks.

That's the first feedback on flipping the front page content.. interesting thoughts. Is there some kind of web design or human nature guide we can read when it comes to this?

Old 2012-03-19, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Shogun
Contributor
General

thanks hamma!

i wasn´t sure if i was just too stupid to find the fullsize picviewer.
on the old version it wasn´t on all pictures either. like pics directly posted in the headline section never got this feature, while the library had it.
i love this feature because my eyes aren´t the best anymore ;-)

so when you bring back this viewer please implement it to all pictures on psu. it sucks to see a great pic in the news and having to find it again in the media section to view it in hd.

but again: great work and welcome to the future! psu looked a little "old" and has really managed to leap into the future with the new cleaned up structure!
hope to see feedback from the devs soon ;-)
didn´t higby troll for screenshots and infos about the new psu design some months ago?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-19, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Hamma
PSU Admin

The news one is tricky because I want to keep folks on the news page so they can continue reading news. I may start including a link though in the popup that goes to a full sized image viewer.

I have made a few changes this morning:
  1. Admin names are now Blue to match up with staff. Admins will be bold text, staff will not.
  2. Background Image: I have made the position fixed so the gradient will always be the same. Let me know what you guys think.
  3. Background Image: It now repeast horizonally for wider monitors.

Old 2012-03-19, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post

Seems that people come to PSU for two reasons; first: News, second: Community. The front page has the community stuff sitting on top of the juicy news.

The giant rotating image bugs me. It's very much a distraction and unfortunately I keep seeing similar boxes show up on other sites' home pages. I understand they're for getting more content in a smaller space but they make reading a pain as I've been trained to always look for movement. Text doesn't move, the giant image does. Suggest removing the giant scrolling image but keeping the inset boxes with the smaller images.
on the reasons to come to psu, for me it´s
1. news
2. devtracker
3. ps2 discussion forums

on the giant picrotator:
would it be possible to just show the inlets with the small pics and only bring up a big picture if one of the small pics is clicked? it really takes up too much of the screen and hurts concentration.

Old 2012-03-19, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Background Image: I have made the position fixed so the gradient will always be the same. Let me know what you guys think.
Just changed this - it inadvertently broke something else The line at the top is part of the background and it stuck up there with fixed background.

Old 2012-03-19, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The news one is tricky because I want to keep folks on the news page so they can continue reading news. I may start including a link though in the popup that goes to a full sized image viewer.
including a link under every pic in the news that leads to the media library version would totally fix it for me! thanks a lot!

the other changes you already made didn´t seem to affect me, so i cannot give feedback on them. on 1280x720 screen and firefox, i don´t seem to have any visible issues. didn´t have them before the changes as well

Old 2012-03-19, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Canaris
Contributor
General

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the colour, to much Cyan hurts my brain, everything else looks great.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions