Balance Pass Adjustments - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't quote me on this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-10-11, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

The new "near-miss" tank system is good, IMO. This may make Vanguard users actually *gasp* USE their machine guns.
Old 2003-10-11, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Nearmiss is understandable, people complain about how the splash of a vanguard shell kills them in 1 shot so what do they do, they reduce the splash's damage for both tanks. But hey aint that why they have machine guns (which got a buff in the balance pass)?
Old 2003-10-11, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree the Pounder nerf was unwarranted. With the existence of the Decimator, and the fact that it's a very common weapon (I dropped prepatch Striker for Decimator and never looked back), the Pounder is now a walking deathtrap. Between Decimators and ScatterMAXs forcing the Pounder to eat its own splash damage, I don't see this as a viable MAX platform.

The only advice I can offer to Pounder operators is to feint, i.e. stop firing when you're not out of ammo to trick the enemy into charging you. Problem here is you're most likely going to eat a Deci hoagy.

Too bad Decimator puts AV to shame. It should really be common pool AV. Special Assault would still be worthy if it were just Thumper and Rocklet Rifle.

Just my opinion.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-10-11, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Nice fixes.
Old 2003-10-11, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Kikinchikin

yeah i hate the pounder reload nerf now that I think about it. It's already soooooooooo long when u reload and see a reinforced with a deci round the corner and blast u while ur reloading. Sigh That really hurts me, becuz pounder is the only "weapon" I use now, since I am infiltrator. (altho i can use boomers and the amp quite good.
Old 2003-10-11, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
TheN00b
Colonel

just wondering, do u guys think the Pheonix or the Deci r better as an AV supplement to the Jack?
Old 2003-10-11, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
DramaticFanatic
First Sergeant

I think the pounder reload time increase is just fine. If you have a *good* team, you will be covered by them while you are reloading, and you will be repaired when receiving damage. Just a thought.
Old 2003-10-11, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Jagd
Major

N00B: Decimator delivers the most AV damage of all infantry weapons, but it requires a lot more skill than the empire specific AV weapons because there is no lock on or ability to steer the missiles, and it is a pretty slow moving rocket.

And I'm glad about the tank splash damage reduction, again they are adding to the game's realism; real world tanks use armor piercing shells that are basically big, heavy chunks of lead that use sheer weight to break through their target's skin. They're not at all like artillery shells which are designed to throw shrapnel about and rip through soft targets, although it's incredibly rare for games to try and be realistic about it.
Old 2003-10-11, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Originally Posted by DramaticFanatic
I think the pounder reload time increase is just fine. If you have a *good* team, you will be covered by them while you are reloading, and you will be repaired when receiving damage. Just a thought.
Thats the problem though, the pounders are the only thing that can stand up to the enemy in a straight fight and keep them at the bottom of the stairwell. We CAN'T cover them because the moment they reload a hoard of jackhammers will Surge in the door, up the stairs and kill all of the supporting infantry before they can blink.

Edit: we have some extremely good weapons, but none of them are geared for that kind of combat, we used to rely on our Pounders to keep us alive when we were stuck in those situations, but now we are just going to be slaughtered.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2003-10-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 2003-10-11, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Jagd
Major

How about we wait and see it live before losing all hope?
Old 2003-10-11, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have to say the MG's on a vanguard are the work pieces of shit in the game, the COF blooms like crazy and its COF is huge to beging with, the only time i have eer been able to kill infantry with it was one time when a guy TKed me so i jumped in a got him backwile he wasn't watching(wast Shells on a TKer no way)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-11, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

Thats the problem though, the pounders are the only thing that can stand up to the enemy in a straight fight and keep them at the bottom of the stairwell. We CAN'T cover them because the moment they reload a hoard of jackhammers will Surge in the door, up the stairs and kill all of the supporting infantry before they can blink.
Actually I think the new NC maxes will pose more of a problem after the balance pass. If 3 or 4 walk in together with shields up, and if any of them get behind the maxes and start causing havoc, the TR maxes will likely have to unspike. Dunno what the VS would do though.

I have to say the MG's on a vanguard are the work pieces of shit in the game, the COF blooms like crazy and its COF is huge to beging with
Did they buff the vehicle machine guns yet? Or is that part of the balance pass? I don't remember.
Old 2003-10-11, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

I do believe that is in the balance pass
Old 2003-10-11, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

And I'm glad about the tank splash damage reduction, again they are adding to the game's realism; real world tanks use armor piercing shells that are basically big, heavy chunks of lead that use sheer weight to break through their target's skin. They're not at all like artillery shells which are designed to throw shrapnel about and rip through soft targets, although it's incredibly rare for games to try and be realistic about it.
Have you ever been shot with a real tank shell IRL? The explosion alone even if it wasnt near you would kill you, or at least knock u out and give u a serious concussion.

If you needed to directly hit someone with a tankshell IRL, why would we even use tanks today? They would be worthless.
Old 2003-10-11, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Jagd
Major

Actually, the M1 Abrams fires little rods of depleted uranium that punch through armor and then proceed to ricochet around inside the helpless target causing electrical fires and punching holes through the crew. I did some more reading on this though, and apparently they also have explosive shells (anti-infantry) that they use when they're attacking, say, a group of Iraqi civilians. Same thing with WW2 tanks, they had one type of shell for hard targets, and another for soft.

But anyways I still think it's a good idea to nerf the splash. When a vanguard is parked outside a tower, you simply cannot get past the doors alive if it's spamming shells into the wall.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion