GU06 - more reason to capture continents! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the Men are Men, and the Pulsars need Ammo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-04-02, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: GU06 - more reason to capture continents!

Originally Posted by elementHTTP View Post
I dont know to me it feels like this

we will see when rush lanes,cont lock and player mission system comes out

Yea, I don't really care for the over nurturing donkey and carrot style pat on the back reinforcment, but then again I am over the age of 30 and accustom to being raised with the belt and the spoon style.

Really achieving objectives is where I get my kicks, take a base, defend a base, or whatever we decide to do on a given night. This weekend 4 of us "camped" the Vanu Warpgate on Essamir for over and hour, eventually they sent (no joke) 3 fully loaded Gals, 4 tanks, 3 reavers to kill the 4 of us and be done with it, they must have though there were more than for of us because they typed "Only 4 of you rat bastards were out here in the chat" we replied "LOL, yep 4, thanks guys that was awesome" we got a good laugh out of it..you could probably find a vid of it somewhere..I would share it but it might offend some people as on of the guys NOT PLAYING in TS spoke a few controversial words.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-04-02 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2013-04-02, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

So heres what they are trying to address:
Give players incentives and direction to participate in combat in other areas of the game than they normally might.
Encourage competitive, exciting fights during offpeak hours.
Heres the problems:
  • They want players to play in combat other than where they traditionally would. However, it will only solve the issues during off peak times. During peak times it will still be Indarside.
  • The XP is too low for most people to care
  • You wont know when they are going to be fired, except that it will be "off peak" so now off peak zergs will just have more incentive to ghost cap at 5am.
  • When they do add other missions, it will be forced engagement rather than a metagame involvement. In other words, "hey leave this fight to play somewhere where there is no action so you can get some free XP."
  • This shows that the incentive for playing this game is nothing more than get more certs to unlock stuff. How is this game's overall goal any more than Call of Duty, because I am pretty sure thats the only incentive they have to keep playing as well - to unlock stuff. At what point will players simply unlock everything and stop playing.

Also, can anyone explain to me how ribbons are different than medals? I never cared much about the medals, but they seem to be tied to the same criteria (kill X with weapon Y). The reason I never cared much about the medals is that it does feel like, as someone pointed out, "kill X rats."

Just fix the damn resource system (reason for battles, linking battles to a strategic goal, denial of resources leading to predictable locations of battles, etc.). That will add miles more "metagame" than whatever the hell this is.
Old 2013-04-02, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't see this effecting people who play much during prime time. It appears this will show up on lower pop continents.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-04-02, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I see this being really great for casual free players. A variety of different content is always good for a game.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-04-02, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Is this the fabled meta game solution that everyone got their knickers in a twist about ????
No, this is not the mythical metagame unicorn, though Matt predicted yesterday some would think it is. Come to think of it he also did well in Vegas.

Remember PS1 events like the Rabbit or the home cont defense? Its like that only we can keep adding more types over time and don't need GMs to run them. This is the first event type, and the intent is that for off peak you have meaningful fights on Amerish and Esamir instead of always Indar. And you'll get more XP for doing it. And you have something new to show empire greatness.

Haters gonna hate...TR gonna dominate!
Old 2013-04-02, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

Enjoy dominating that warpgate!

Old 2013-04-02, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Canaris
Contributor
General

No, this is not the mythical metagame unicorn, though Matt predicted yesterday some would think it is. Come to think of it he also did well in Vegas.

Remember PS1 events like the Rabbit or the home cont defense? Its like that only we can keep adding more types over time and don't need GMs to run them. This is the first event type, and the intent is that for off peak you have meaningful fights on Amerish and Esamir instead of always Indar. And you'll get more XP for doing it. And you have something new to show empire greatness.

if we are going to have Home Cont defense games, then Forseal & Ceryshen need to get brought in soonerish than later, we have to keep kicking the stuffing out of the NC & VS at their ones. They better just be held off on to make them super brilliant

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-04-02, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Any incentive that pulls pop off Indar has got to be good. Looking forward to more character slots so I can run around on the US servers.

Old 2013-04-02, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

For now Indar has been the "way out" for the factions. When they were dominated everywhere else they just went there.

This wasn't a problem in Planetside 1 because people playing that game were hardcore dedicated veterans, with faction loyalty, outfits and all that jazz.

But with the new demographics PS2 is targeted at, I only now realized that cross-continent capturing metagame might have demoralizing consequences to the people who play games like CoD or Battlefield.
We've seen people leave a continent when they get warpgated. How will they react when they get pushed to their sanctuary? Quit the game? And for how long?
(Until the others in their faction grab territory, or after some time?)

I can see 4th Factioning becoming real bad as people will want to "play the winning side". I'm not quite sure how it will turn out.

Remember, people need incentives for everything. Now back onto topic before we all go off the rails.
Old 2013-04-02, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
torokf
Corporal

couldn't we have "Events" based on Continent Population rather than server pop? because on Ceres, Amerish is Always Empty, i repeat, Always empty, if you were to give us such a "Quest Event" in prime time i believe a bit of the zerglings would move from the other continents to Finally Fight on Amerish, what about giving Ceres a try?

correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe you made such arrangements while thinking at High populated Servers, but what of medium ones? because on Ceres there is Never battle on Amerish, not even on prime time, it would be awesome to fight there even if only for once,
please test on us!

Last edited by torokf; 2013-04-02 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2013-04-02, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dragonskin
Major

This all sounds great to me. I like ribbons in Battlefield 3. Gave me some goal to try to achieve. Goals are a good thing. The event system also sounds like it will be a good thing. I hope they have some events rolling during peak hours sometimes too.. not all the time, but maybe like 2-3 times a week just some event. Get people moving around the map more.
Old 2013-04-02, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
HelpLuperza
Corporal

I am still waiting for the mythical vechile/flash launcher gun that they talked about on FNO.
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I don't see this effecting people who play much during prime time. It appears this will show up on lower pop continents.
Maybe.... I think that it would be hard to tell. Have you played on Connery before?

Honestly, I think that the jokingly promised candy continent will really change things ^_-

Happy April Fools

Last edited by HelpLuperza; 2013-04-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
wave
Private

but in the future we plan on adding more, such as: controlling the most of a certain facility type, or controlling the most of a certain type of resource.
Looks like they are not planning on drastically changing the current resource system. There will be multiple types of resources it seems.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Welp, with the server events they gave an example of indar, but HOPEFULLY a lot of these events will occur on places OTHER than Indar (can't wait for em on Amerish). I mean seriously, who here is their favorite continent Amerish?
Old 2013-04-02, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

rabbit ball was bad, lets not resurrect it. leave it dead with the big fucking robots. anything other than rabbit ball, if you can help it.

thanks.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion