PSU: Reality is the game, Planetside is the life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-04, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
PaintballerEJG
Private

Originally Posted by Squick
I only buy what is necessary though, and I would consider a DX9 card unnecessary right now. That would be like saying bragging about your car because it can run on hydrogen or gas. Thats great, except there are no hydrogen stations around, so you will be paying extra for a feature that you can not use.
Yes, but what if you have an aging videocard and you would like to upgrade? why upgrade to a dx8 card and then buy ANOTHER dx9 card for HL2 or something? I needed to upgrade, so I chose a dx9 card..
Old 2004-01-15, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Ok, I still haven't purchased my replacement card, I have been procrastinating...

I have been taking a gander at the FX5900s and they look really cool looking. I know that isn't a very big factor in graphics cards, but I like hte inside of my case to look nice, thats why I put a window in it after all.

My question is (and I am sure darn near everyone has an opinion on it...) is what would you get and why? Would you get the 9600XT or the FX5900?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I think I am comming back home to Planet Side as well! Can't wait to see you all on the battle field.
Old 2004-01-15, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

get a 5900U or nonU and do a bios flash to a 5950, it ups the voltage for OCing it up to the 5950 speeds and it can give prefomance on par if not better than a real 5950, instructions can get found on the forums here www.guru3d.com

EDIT: oh yeah, get one with a good cooler like the BFG

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-15, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

well me and rbstr have discussed this throughly. and i feel safe to show off this model.EVGA GeForce FX 5900SE, 128MB $188
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=1&section=1
(http://firingsquad.com/hardware/evga...900_xt_review/ )
if i had to choose id go 5900XT.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-01-15, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

you can also get An ultra or nonultra for just over 250/230 repectivly if you want a bit beter performance, i also do not know if a 5900xt will fash up to a 5950

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-18, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
PaintballerEJG
Private

also, if you get a 5900, make sure its one with a 256bit memory interface and 8 pipelines. If you can find an XFX 5900, thats what I got for $195 and I have been very happy with it.
Old 2004-01-18, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

Well if you had looked at what i posted it was $188 and it had the 256bit bus and all that crap. but you probaly didnt.

Last edited by NoSurrender; 2004-01-18 at 11:55 PM.
Old 2004-01-18, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Like i have said before 256mb of video memory does nothing for performance, unless its faster than the card with 128

Old 2004-01-22, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
PaintballerEJG
Private

256bit is different than 256mb. 256bit give is 2x the bandwidth for the memory, huge performance increase. And no, I didn't look at ur 5900SE link because you should go for the 5900, not the SE.
Old 2004-01-22, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by PaintballerEJG
256bit is different than 256mb. 256bit give is 2x the bandwidth for the memory, huge performance increase. And no, I didn't look at ur 5900SE link because you should go for the 5900, not the SE.
yet that card can be clocked higher stable without any special cooling AND has 256 bit memory. SO HA HA HA MOTHERF*@#%&

Old 2004-01-22, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ait'al
Contributor
General

This thread is a month old atleast The conversation is over ^^
Old 2004-01-22, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
PaintballerEJG
Private

umm Pyro_man, you just made no sense at all, lol...

I said the 256bit was better, and so did u... then u laugh at me like a crazy mofo
Old 2004-01-22, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Originally Posted by PaintballerEJG
umm Pyro_man, you just made no sense at all, lol...

I said the 256bit was better, and so did u... then u laugh at me like a crazy mofo
Lol, my nickname at school is Crazy Mofo. Anywho, I still can't decide, but seeing as how there is no consensous here, I am taking it to the bit-tech boards to see what those guys say. I REALLY want to get the most for my buck, this is going to be the most expensive thing on my computer and my computer is the most expensive thing I own. (not counting my car, cause, hell, its a car!)
Old 2004-01-23, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
PaintballerEJG
Private

Oh, and if you buy a 5900, you can flash the bios to 5950 speeds, just did it last night. Works with virtually all 5900's. Very easy, just go to the guru3d.com forums.
Old 2004-01-23, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

suposadly a 5900 flashed to a 5950 can even out perform the stock 5950

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum