Outfit Specialization - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's A Planetside???
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-25, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Multi Spec. Outfits.- Outfits that have certain parts of them doing different things can break up their outfits into divisions. If an outfit wants to have an air and a tank division than the leader breaks it up and assigns a sub leader for each division.
Big outfits already do this, but within their own structures.
Old 2004-02-25, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gigabein
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn
Probably around a year ago I came up with an idea regarding Outfits earning credits as they accrue whatever your numerical scoring is (Outfit Points I think it's still called). Anyway, the idea was that, among other things, Outfits could purchase bonuses from a wide list of stuff through expending credits earned by people getting more Outfit points. Stuff like all infantry in your Outfit having a 10% increased footspeed, 50 more armor, aircraft or land vehicles that have a 2.5 minute timer, longer afterburn times, automatic shields that recharge inside any friendly SoI, and so on and so forth. As you buy more upgrades, though the upgrades get more expensive to get, making them into long-term goals over time, giving people something to work towards as a group, too. Cost of the abilities would also scale in relation to unique accounts which have characters in the Outfit, so you wouldn't be penalized for having alts in the Outfit, because they'd be on the same account. Most large Outfits would probably spread their points out, but smaller groups would definitely be closer-knit and more open to the idea of focusing on a couple areas to specialize in and give themselves an edge in doing.

Point is though, this sort of a system would allow for what you're describing, but I think it would be better in that it'd give people flexibility (infantry and aircraft specialized, let's say, or just infantry, or aircraft, or whatever), diversity (those who focus on infantry upgrades won't have the same upgrades), and would give long-term goals. Naturally people outside an Outfit would suffer from it, but a system like this could be emulated through tracking of Battle Experience, translating it into points that can be used to buy enhancements that apply when you're not in an Outfit.

Either way though, I love the idea of people being able to specialize their Outfits, and have been for this since I heard about Planetside, whatever its incarnation would be.
I'm not sure I like this. Sounds a bit too far on the side of RPG for what PS is meant to be.
Old 2004-02-26, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BIGTROJANMAN
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by UncleDynamite
Dscyth has a point: lots of people will choose multi. So what about making an incentive for an outfit to specialize?

How about giving "discounts" for certs depending on what your outfit specialization is? For example, if you choose to make your outfit specialize in "Air," all the people in your outfit would be able to get the Air Cav cert for, say, 2 certs instead of 4? If you're a multi outfit, then you get no such discounts.

This would encourage players to not only make specialized outfits, but it would also give a reason for players to join outfits in the first place. There might be a problem of outfits declaring themselves an "Armor" outfit for the heck of it just to get a tank discount (and then not really use tanks that much), but I'm sure we can tweak it so that exploiting could be minimized.

now this idea is even better
Old 2004-02-26, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Wraithlord
Second Lieutenant

The outfit Im in is mostly black ops and the jobs nobody else CAN do, such as filing 4 infils into main enemy strongpoint to blow the gen, or getting 20-30 maxs organized for a Max Crash. We all have infiltration suit...I guess that says something about our playstyle

The tells we get when our squad of infils attacks an AMS in unison with grenades and blow it to hell in 2 seconds are REALLY funny. Try it sometime !
Old 2004-02-27, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SealDude
Private

Big outfits already do this, but within their own structures.
Uhhh thats the point so that multi outfits can have a structured system within the game so that it is easier too coordinate with commanders and to keep it organized.

About the idea for using outfit points for upgrades. This is a practical RPG element like the rest of PS. Whereas in other RPGs you have to do stupid things like clicking "go" for half an hour to build weapons so that you can be good at it, why not put the outfit points you get any way to work. That way if you outfit specalizes in armored warfare they can acctually reflect that in game. It dosent make sense that somone uses tanks everyday of their life yet dosent get any better at it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion