Gun Thoughts and Opinions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: i seem to have misplaced my limbs...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-01, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Beerbeer
Major

Gun Thoughts and Opinions

I know it's beta and things are subject to change, but I thought I would share my experiences with various guns and hoping others will, too. No comments on default guns. As you can see, I haven't tried out a lot, but here are my thoughts:

Empire: NC

Light Assault:
GD-7F: I love this gun. It fires fast and just mows people down firing from the hip, with little recoil. I use the reflex sight and laser sight and they both work very well. Of course, it climbs a lot aiming down the sights since I use the laser sight, but that's okay as I'm always trying to flank. Just a great, well rounded gun and hip firing beast. Only problem is that you'll be reloading a lot since it fires so quickly, so manage those rounds and time your reloads accordingly, or you'll be stuck reloading in the middle of a heated encounter.

Heavy Assault:
EMI: an excellent, all around gun. Not great for long ranges, but superb for medium to close ranges, especially from the hip with the laser sight rail attachment. I usually go reflex or 2x reflex with laser sight and that's it. While relatively weak compared to NC standards, the fast rate of fire, fairly straight bullet trajectory and standard 100 round clip makes it a winner in my book. Long reload time, though. It kicks up pretty well, but is controllable even without a grip.

GD-22S: I have torn feelings with this gun. First, after saving up a lot of certs to buy it, I was disappointed to learn it didn't have to attachments that I like, notably reflex sights and laser sight. Nope, doesn't exist and I was extremely disappointed to say the least.

First the strengths: it hits hard, if you can hit with it. To me, this gun is designed for medium to long ranges, however there's a caveat that I'll explain later. The standard bullet works well and the selective fire mode is decent if you want to slap on a 6x scope (yes, it's there and buried four scopes deep) and play wannabe sniper. Only holds 50 rounds, kicks hard, but the grip helps. Reload time is fast. I.

The Bad: can't effectively hip fire this thing. If someone gets in very close, and you're stuck with a 4x laser scope, good luck trying to kill him aiming down the sights. Hip fire is even worse as the bloom is HUGE without the laser sight. After a while, I dumped all scopes and went with the iron sights (which isn't bad) , since I got tired of dying to flanking lights. Even with the standard ammunition, grip and scope, I just find hitting things consistently, at long ranges, beyond a single shot, almost futile since it moves so much upon firing.

The soft point ammunition is love it or hate it as well. First, the bullet travels much slower with a huge drop. It does hit very hard, though, but here's the caveat: it's horrible at long ranges, where this gun is best served. It's like tits on a bull, yeah those tits are cool, but who cares since they're on a bull and this ammunition makes all of the available scope choices almost pointless.

All in all, I'm not impressed, at least considering the costs. If I had a choice, I would not get this gun again.

Anti-Tank:
Shrike: the dumb rocket is a tricky beast at range, and probably purposely so. The relatively slow rocket speed and heavy ballistic drop makes hitting far off moving targets difficult, at least for me. The damage is fairly good, but just flat-out devastates targets if you can hit stuff from behind at close ranges. Takes almost 40% off of a mag at close range from the rear, I think.

I would like to hear what other people think of guns they purchased, including other people's perspectives on the guns I've tried.
Old 2012-11-01, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Gun Thoughts and Opinions

I have the high-ROF carbine on my current Vanu character. It's super-fun to hose at people, but runs out of ammunition just shy of the kill with embarrassing frequency. I should probably be using it closer.
Old 2012-11-01, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Beerbeer
Major

I really wish they would allow us to test all guns now.

If they want these guns to be desirable enough to "purchase" (and since there is no VR room), and knowing that upon release a lot of people might plunk down some change to unlock everything, they need to flesh out the details NOW, because changing guns based on balance issues AFTER people already paid money for them will cause an uproar, especially if they nerf things or change things considerably.

They need data and they have the ability to gain that data by allowing us to test everything now, when there's no money involved.
Old 2012-11-01, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I have to admit - prior to the last wipe when I was testing NC, I regretted half of the stuff I spent AUX on. VR or its equiv. would be nice.
Old 2012-11-01, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

A VR testing, or trial of some sort for weapons is needed as much as New Player Experience.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-01, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

i thought LMGs were good, then when my tank got blown up as i was on an engi and i was stuck out there with wave after wave of NC been thrown at me, THE CARBINE IS A BEAST! I can like hit stuff with it.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion