"Exploits" that should stay? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a witty quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2010-04-16, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vancha
Colonel

"Exploits" that should stay?

There are some things in Planetside that clearly weren't intended by the developers, but I believe proved to be work-arounds for legitimate issues.

1: Dropping the trigger of your boomer to allow your own empire to jammer it. This obviously was never intended, but being able to "disown" your boomer opened up new realms of possibility...creating vehicles traps, or laying decoys to delay enemies for example. Assuming we see a boomer equivalent in the sequel, I think the ability to disown them would be a nice addition. This could easily be done by giving the boomer trigger an alternate fire function.

2: Bypassing the hotdrop animation. I'm sure most people here used the old "turn hard before ejecting" trick to avoid being lit up as you fell to the ground and then suffering crucial seconds of helplessness as the camera turned itself on you. Whether you were trying to escape a dying plane, perform quick response/insertion tactics, drop as an infiltrator into a base amidst battle or drop with your sniper into a tree, the combination of being noticeable and then suffering helplessness was never a favourable thing. It would seem to me that the lack of a bail animation is something that should find it's way into the sequel.

3: Being able to strafe without expanding your reticule. Being a sniper, this was a godsend. Any movement of the mouse and your reticule would explode due to the zoom. The only way to achieve any minor adjustment to the position of the reticule without losing all control was to strafe. As far as the other weapons are concerned, I think it worked well for them too. Being unable to move your mouse and typically having to give up cover in order to keep a solid reticule seemed to work out pretty well. I imagine this would stir up the most debate of the three, but we'll see.

What do you guys think? Should these "exploits" be made into purposeful additions for the sequel, or do you have a better way to solve the problems they remedied?

Last edited by Vancha; 2010-04-16 at 08:00 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion