Earning XP as a Galaxy Pilot - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The key of the success
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-28, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Comet
First Sergeant

Earning XP as a Galaxy Pilot

Hello everyone,

Maybe this sounds a bit boring to some people but I plan on spending a lot of the time in aircraft to help support my team members. I enjoy doing hot drops with transport ships as well.

What I am curious about is how does a Galaxy pilot earn experience and thus earn certification points if he's just flying? I imagine that at times, I would drop a squad off and then fly back to another area where we have a lot of troops waiting, pick them up, and then fly the new squad into battle.

Is this how it goes sometimes? Or is it better I land the galaxy near by after only dropping one or two squads so they can use it as a spawn point? Same question for that scenario though, would I get exp for anyone using the galaxy as a spawn point then? Or are Galaxy pilots up the creek unless they hop out after landing to help attack the base?
Old 2012-06-28, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Karrade
First Sergeant

Re: Earning XP as a Galaxy Pilot

I am hoping the mission system covers this, scouting and other things that direct kills do not. Transport A - B, I have heard Air cover mentioned by a developer , so air transport isn't too much of a stretch and a very useful team action, the possibilities are all there.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

In the original there were support XP considerations for transport pilots, if your hot dropper got a kill within x minutes of the drop (and during the life they dropped during).

In addition to that, AMS drivers got support XP for people who got kills in the life that they had when they spawned/rearmed at the AMS.

If that wasn't good enough, you are also in a squad that is functioning on a higher level if it has galaxy support, so you will be sharing XP with them.

It's all good, you'll be taken care of!
Old 2012-06-28, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
The Kush
Captain

There was a thread about this same issue.

To answer your question were not sure.

In PS1 gal pilots recieved no rewards.

Maybe that is why it is deployable as a spawn now. Because the AMS (mobile spawn unit in PS1) did generate exp.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Karrade
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Hello everyone,

Maybe this sounds a bit boring to some people but I plan on spending a lot of the time in aircraft to help support my team members. I enjoy doing hot drops with transport ships as well.

What I am curious about is how does a Galaxy pilot earn experience and thus earn certification points if he's just flying? I imagine that at times, I would drop a squad off and then fly back to another area where we have a lot of troops waiting, pick them up, and then fly the new squad into battle.

Is this how it goes sometimes? Or is it better I land the galaxy near by after only dropping one or two squads so they can use it as a spawn point? Same question for that scenario though, would I get exp for anyone using the galaxy as a spawn point then? Or are Galaxy pilots up the creek unless they hop out after landing to help attack the base?
A further thought, what happens to the first galaxy if you spawn another? Can you set up a few in their base?
Old 2012-06-28, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Good point there, I'd like to see what they have for Galaxy pilots.
Just a quick question, how was Gal Dropping in the original? Did you have to be close to the ground or could you adjust where you were dropping?
Old 2012-06-28, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ratstomper
Major

In PS1, engineers got XP for repairing troops or vehicles that went on to score kills. It could work with a system where certain vehicles (transports) granted small amounts of XP to their pilots when the soldiers or vehicles they transported make kills or capture objectives. That would encourage pilots to be smart and get their "cargo" where they needed to be and be as intact as possible. The more troops that are put in advantageous locations intact is the more XP the pilot gets.

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Good point there, I'd like to see what they have for Galaxy pilots.
Just a quick question, how was Gal Dropping in the original? Did you have to be close to the ground or could you adjust where you were dropping?
You could drop from max height in PS1. bailing form air vehicles never really killed you, unless you landed in the middle of the enemy. There wasn't much use in low-altitude drops.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-06-28 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Comet
First Sergeant

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, sorry if there was a previous thread on this before

I'd be curious about multiple galaxies landed nearby as well Sounds like they'll figure something out though
Old 2012-06-28, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Razicator
First Sergeant

Didn't the devs stress that we earn cert points so fast that even if we make a mistake placing a cert, a short time later we have another cert? We can even earn certs offline. Then really, there's no point to XP other than bragging rights as to who's the higher BR. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 2012-06-28, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
There was a thread about this same issue.

To answer your question were not sure.

In PS1 gal pilots recieved no rewards.

Maybe that is why it is deployable as a spawn now. Because the AMS (mobile spawn unit in PS1) did generate exp.
Some of this could also be solved now that the game will be tracking proper kill assist rewards. They could give Galaxies a little bit of XP for every kill that their dropped passengers get for x amount of time after the drop.
Old 2012-06-28, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Some of this could also be solved now that the game will be tracking proper kill assist rewards. They could give Galaxies a little bit of XP for every kill that their dropped passengers get for x amount of time after the drop.
I'd be good with that. I look forward to flying my galaxy and dropping squad after squad.

Need incentive to do these things.

Cheers,

GG

Sent from Auraxis using Tapatalk

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-06-28, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Gal Pilots in PS1 DID receive rewards. Like a poster above said, anyone who dropped from your Gal gave you XP if they got kills for a certain amount of time after the drop.

Same with AMS, same with loadstar, medic healing, engy repairing, etc.

If you did support, you got XP. In PS2, you'll also get resources. Have the devs looked at every possible support action from PS1? That's what we don't know, but Higby said every action you do to help your empire will earn you stuff.
Old 2012-06-28, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

In PS1 I learnt very quickly that AMS and/or Lodestar support to the zerg = winning.

So, I'll be engying it up and piloting Gals and Sunderers in PS2 in the hope that the mechanic is as effective as it was in PS1
Old 2012-06-28, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
kertvon
Sergeant

I recall in the previous thread about this that someone said you earn xp by entering into combat zones or something, which would mean the gal pilots indirectly earn points by hot dropping grunts in the heat. I think that when players enter a gal they should be tagged to that gal and when they hot drop and start capping points, the gal pilot should get residual xp unless the player enters another galaxy or maybe dies between base caps. Not sure what is officially being implemented though.
Old 2012-06-28, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I certainly hope there are going to be air transport missions handed out by the mission system. It would be a shame if they didn't add this. Or at least add the ability for certified leader types to create these missions themselves.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion