map faction colors - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: like hot lesbian action without the hot lesbians!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-03, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
brinkdadrink
Corporal

map faction colors

I read through the other thread and it turned into a math debate and also I am just asking for a small change here with large significance.

I am red/green color blind and have played Vanu ever since I started playing Planetside. I have had some trouble distinguishing people but when I am playing you can usually easily tell who is the enemy and who is not. This is not to say I have not done my share of griefing.

My one change does not have anything to do with the faction colors because it would be far to much of a change along with the new customization features. My change has to do with the map. This is what annoys me the most. When I check the map I have to zoom in and look for the faction symbols on the base to tell if they are mine or the enemys. When it comes to towers I would never know unless I see people fighting there and I get close enough to see the symbols on the towers.

This video of a demonstration of how the new system works is the main reason I wanted to bring this up.

In the video the blue and purple look exactly alike that I have no idea who is who. If this is anything like what planetside 2 maps are going to have it needs to be changed.

What I propose is to change the NC color on the map to thier yellow varient so that all 3 factions are distinctly separate when I look at the map. This will not change the game itself but will help me be able to quickly look at the map and know what is going on. I hope everyone can agree on this change and make it happen. I have loved planetside since the beginning and am very much looking forward to PS2. I am going to be playing Vanu again and this small change would make a world of difference.

Summary:
Change the NC map color to the yellow varient that they use to have 3 very distinct colors on the map.

Last edited by brinkdadrink; 2012-02-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2012-02-03, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lord Cosine
Corporal

Re: map faction colors

They should add color blind mode in the options which does exactly what you said. But leave the colors otherwise intact.
Old 2012-02-03, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I agree with the colorblind option as well as changing the nc to yellow.
I always loved my banana suit
Old 2012-02-03, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shanesan
Sergeant

That video reminds me of what Global Agenda should have been.

But yes, colorblind mode is very important in this game - especially with three factions.
Old 2012-02-03, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vash02
Major

It cant be that hard to provide an option to change the empire's colour value on the map/bases to accommodate CB players.

(note: I have never made a professional game in my life. I would like to though)
Old 2012-02-03, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Magpie
Sergeant Major

I agree mate +1
Old 2012-02-03, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
WaryWizard
Sergeant

I agree, but now I am thinking about how this game would look to the colour blind.

I know someone who is colour blind and he can't see in the dark because all the colours blurr together.

Night could also be a deterrent to those who can't see all the colours of the spectrum.
Old 2012-02-04, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I would suggest a simple option on the map, to let everyone choose what colors the factions have on the map. Within their color field of course.
Old 2012-02-04, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Just have a colour blind option that changes to the proposed colours.
Old 2012-02-04, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Magpie
Sergeant Major

I think there's a program for windows that changes all the colours in windows, like a over lay I remeber as a kid with the Old pcs that if you did not plug the screen in right red would become black ect

Check out goolge
Old 2012-02-04, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

who could argue against a cause a good as this, although I can't tell the difference between the VS and NC myself either.... they all look the same in my crosshairs

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-02-04, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Miir
Malvision

There you go.

Actually this is a pretty basic map. I'm sure they could do things like have the colour in the hexes be animated from blue to yellow or any number of things to help with colour blindness.

But these are good points to raise.
Old 2012-02-04, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Miir View Post

There you go.

Actually this is a pretty basic map. I'm sure they could do things like have the colour in the hexes be animated from blue to yellow or any number of things to help with colour blindness.

But these are good points to raise.
Looks a lot more pretty
Old 2012-02-04, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

100% behind this, tower icons were impossible for me to distinguish on the map... very frustrating. I had to constantly ask my daughter... "who has this tower, NC or us?"

Some color toggle would be great...
Old 2012-02-06, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
brinkdadrink
Corporal

thanks for the map remake Miir. would not have guessed that was the NC hexes.

Towers were the worst because you didn't know till you were there.

The game colors themselves I dont think need to be changed including night time. Game wise I didn't grief that much because you can usually tell who is against you if not by anything else than the direction there shooting or the gun/vehicle they are using. The map is the one thing that consistently made playing a hindrance and that is why I brought it up.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion